Non-Star Player From Your Franchise's Past You Look Back on Glowingly

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Andy Sutton is one of the first guys that came to mind. He’s absolutely adored in Edmonton despite the fact he only actually played 52 games in an Oiler sweater (I bet there’s no player in NHL history who’s as universally loved as Sutton, but played less games for said team). It’a partially because he hit like a freight train, and partially because we got him for Foster so he seemed like a superstar in comparison, but mostly because of those sweet, sweet dangles. He had filthy mitts for a 6’6 dman. It truly is a shame that he had to sit out the entire following season, and was forced to retire.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Pavol Demitra (RIP), Michal Handzus, and Lubos Bartecko. The Slovakian line. Granted, Demitra was considered a star, but still watching them play was some of my earliest hockey memories.

Reactions: StDevs

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hansen, Bieksa, Chubarov, Ruutu, Odjick, Brashear, Rypien, and Morrison all come to mind. Hm: Cowan Brabarian and Mikael "go f*** yourself Team Sweden" Samuelsson.

When healthy I consider Ohlund, Salo and Mclean borderline to full star level players hence not mentioning em.

Last edited:

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Teppo Numminen, Jochen Hecht, Mike Ramsey, Mike Foligno, Jason Pominville (before he was traded).

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
What non-star player from the past years of your franchise do you look back on and remember fondly?

For me (Islanders) it's Butch Goring. Acquired mid-season and proved to be the missing piece for a Cup run (or 4). He may have only been a 50ish point player (in the 80s) during his time on the Island, but is it a coincidence that the 5 post-seasons that the Isles had him are the only 5 years they've made the Finals? Probably, but still.

In our circle, Butch Goring borders on star status. There is a marked difference in the Islanders after his arrival.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Alex Selivanov scored overtime winner in first playoff game I ever went too and forever more could do no wrong (even when what he was doing was objectively WRONG). Also loved that he married his GMs daughter.
Ruslan Fedotenko, game 7 SCF 2004.
Oddly, Steve Downie. Linemates that play well with Stamkos haven't always been easy to fit. Downie did, even if his skill wasn't commensurate. I miss him.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This thread could use some Ray Whitney in it... was happy to see the Wizard in a Stars uni, albeit at the end of his career.
Still blows my mind that he put up over 1,000 points. He was always such a meh player. Nobody spent much time thinking about him yet there he is, elite status.

Reactions: Still Mighty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad