Non-Sharks NorCal Sports Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's not done yet but only in technical terms since that has to be ratified later this month but that's likely a formality.

Yeah. I read last week an email from Wolff saying Selig gave him permission to look elsewhere if the lease wasn't approved (still havent seen confirmation from Selig), but it prompted 2 of the council members to switch their vote making the 4-4 tie into a 6-2 approval

Probably just an empty threat, but a smart tactic by Wolff to get his way. He would build a stadium in Oakland before leaving the bay area.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't watch games umpired by Angel Hernandez anymore, haven't for years. What is the point?

He somehow not only missed Adam Rosales' game-tying hr in Cleveland last year on the field, but he missed it upon review.

He's made bad calls tonight, but the team playing better tonight is winning.

Arkansas Shark

Fire DW
May 23, 2010
Little Rock
He somehow not only missed Adam Rosales' game-tying hr in Cleveland last year on the field, but he missed it upon review.

He's made bad calls tonight, but the team playing better tonight is winning.

The A's are the better team and deserved to win, but it's pretty obvious Angel Hernandez doesn't belong near a major league diamond.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
LOL GO KUIP!

Duane Kuiper: "Angel Hernandez is not a good umpire and, in my opinion, he does not belong in the big leauges." (1/2)
Duane Kuiper on Angel Hernandez: "And I think Major League Baseball knows this, they just don't know how to get rid of him." (2/2)

Arkansas Shark

Fire DW
May 23, 2010
Little Rock
LOL GO KUIP!

Duane Kuiper: "Angel Hernandez is not a good umpire and, in my opinion, he does not belong in the big leauges." (1/2)
Duane Kuiper on Angel Hernandez: "And I think Major League Baseball knows this, they just don't know how to get rid of him." (2/2)

I lol'd when I heard this on the post game :laugh:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Angel Hernandez, Joe West, Bob Davidson and CB Bucknor have no business being near a little leagur diamond, let alone a major league diamond. Yet the MLB trots them out for important games. Hell, at least one or two of the above have umpired World Series games :help:

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Looks like A's are gonna be looking for a new stadium. The Raiders are planning to demolish it. Going to San Jose now? Maybe if the Giants let them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Looks like A's are gonna be looking for a new stadium. The Raiders are planning to demolish it. Going to San Jose now? Maybe if the Giants let them.

The Giants won't. If they have options in San Antonio and Montreal, they need to pursue it.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
The Giants won't. If they have options in San Antonio and Montreal, they need to pursue it.

Montreal didn't work out last time. I doubt anybody will go back but it would be pretty cool if the Expos made a comeback. I think some place like Indianapolis or Nashville/Memphis could make sense as well or Oklahoma City.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Montreal didn't work out last time. I doubt anybody will go back but it would be pretty cool if the Expos made a comeback. I think some place like Indianapolis or Nashville/Memphis could make sense as well or Oklahoma City.

It not working out last time doesn't have much bearing on whether it would work now. The city councilman said that those two cities were options for the A's as told to them by A's negotiators so we may see how much truth is to it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Yes, the A's are going to look to build a new stadium, but the new 10/year lease was already agreed upon by council 6-2 and the only way the A's can get off the hook for paying is if they build the stadium in Oakland.

It seems the article posted above is just taking info from the Wolff email and what was saif in private. I haven't seen or heard anything that makes me believe they will back out of this and move elsewhere. Lew Wolff lives in the bay area and I seriously doubt he really considers moving the team unless he plans to sell. Also, neither Montreal or San Antonio have any viable baseball venues at the moment.

Also, it's really easy to say another team should move when you aren't a fan of them. SF had options in Florida, they should have used them....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yes, the A's are going to look to build a new stadium, but the new 10/year lease was already agreed upon by council 6-2 and the only way the A's can get off the hook for paying is if they build the stadium in Oakland.

It seems the article posted above is just taking info from the Wolff email and what was saif in private. I haven't seen or heard anything that makes me believe they will back out of this and move elsewhere. Lew Wolff lives in the bay area and I seriously doubt he really considers moving the team unless he plans to sell. Also, neither Montreal or San Antonio have any viable baseball venues at the moment.

Also, it's really easy to say another team should move when you aren't a fan of them. SF had options in Florida, they should have used them....

I would prefer the A's to stay in Oakland personally but if they keep banging their head up against a wall that isn't going to break down and get them a new stadium, what other options do they have? San Jose is not going to be one for them.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if the A's move, it definitely won't be to montreal or san antonio

i'd love to see the expos back one day but MLB is not ready to bring a team back to montreal any time soon and san antonio is without a ballpark suited for a major league team

i just don't understand this whole "territorial rights" issue that's keeping the A's from moving to san jose if such a thing even exists. the A's moving there won't change anything. the fanbases are already well established and there are tons of giants fans in san jose and the southern bay area

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
if the A's move, it definitely won't be to montreal or san antonio

i'd love to see the expos back one day but MLB is not ready to bring a team back to montreal any time soon and san antonio is without a ballpark suited for a major league team

i just don't understand this whole "territorial rights" issue that's keeping the A's from moving to san jose if such a thing even exists. the A's moving there won't change anything. the fanbases are already well established and there are tons of giants fans in san jose and the southern bay area

I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that nothing would change. Of course it would. Giants do get money from San Jose and that money likely moves to the A's if they're allowed there. If the Giants wanted to let them there or thought nothing would change in that regard, they wouldn't hold onto it for dear life like they have been.

Not saying it's the most moral thing of them due to the history behind it but they don't actually owe the A's anything and they don't keep denying the A's if it didn't hold significant value to them.

As for Montreal and San Antonio, that's simply what the councilman said the A's told them were options to them. They don't have to have a stadium up now to be an option in negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad