Non-Sharks NorCal Sports Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1495359

Please, no Decker to Oakland. Please, no Decker to Oakland. (I have him on a few keeper fantasy teams, and going to Oakland will kill his value.) I know they have a ton of cap space.

BAY AREA TEAMS:
picture.php
picture.php

Team | Sport | League |Venue
San Francisco 49ers |Football |National Football League| Candlestick Park
Oakland Raiders | Football |National Football League |McAfee Coliseum
San Francisco Giants | Baseball| National League (Major League Baseball) |AT&T Park
Oakland Athletics | Baseball |American League (Major League Baseball)| McAfee Coliseum
Golden State Warriors | Basketball |National Basketball Association| Oracle Arena
Sacramento Kings | Basketball |National Basketball Association| Arco Arena
San Jose Earthquakes | Soccer |Major League Soccer| Buck Shaw Stadium
San Jose Giants | Baseball |California League (Minor League Baseball) |San Jose Municipal Stadium
San Jose SabreCats - *Cannot Link|Football| Arena Football League| HP Pavilion at San Jose
San Jose Stealth | Lacrosse | National Lacrosse League | HP Pavilion at San Jose San Francisco Dragons | Lacrosse | Major League Lacrosse | Spartan Stadium

74791279.png
94915244.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Antoine Bethea is a solid replacement for Whitner. Whitner was starting to miss too many tackles and was being carried by Reid in coverage. He's a tough guy but he benefitted a lot by playing on a defense that insulated his shortcomings. Bethea is a similar player. He hits hard and is a good tackler plus isn't on the flag list from officials.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Whelp, looks like Whitner is a Brown now. Who will fill in? I liked Donte, but he kept costing us yards based on his rep (unfairly given, IMO).

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Whelp, looks like Whitner is a Brown now. Who will fill in? I liked Donte, but he kept costing us yards based on his rep (unfairly given, IMO).

I posted this in the last thread.

Antoine Bethea Is A Nice Pick Up. Addition By Subtraction In Whitner/Brown/Rogers. Allows Culliver To Step Up And Play Solid Like He Did Before His Injury. That's A Young Secondary We Got Back There In Reid/Brock/Culliver. Still Wondering If They Go CB/S In The Draft. With The 1st Rounder Pick That Is. The WR Corps This Year Are Deep.

I'm not sure who's left on the market worth targeting. I'd look to draft a sure-starter (much like Reid) within the first-round.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks for stickying this, slo!

The Indians announced that Justin Masterson will start Opening Day against the A's.

The Giants already announced that Madison Bumgarner will start Opening Day against the Diamondbacks. I'm not sure who will start for Arizona since they start the season in Australia (which is so dumb, by the way). They might go back to Patrick Corbin, who is scheduled to start the first Australia game.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Hah, my news feed never showed the Bethea signing.

Guess they're sticking more with a run defense.

They only have 1 returning starter in the secondary. Bethea is most likely a stop gap for someone like Deone Bucannon who is completely raw and not ready to be a starting safety. The defense isn't going to change.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 2m
As @AdamSchefter said, Jonathan Martin is headed to San Fran in a trade for a conditional draft pick

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/443569314600189952

Read that the conditional is based on whether he makes the 53 man roster, so basically no risk to the Niners. Martin gets a chance in a low pressure situation where he doesn't need to start and work with his former coaches (Roman actually coached the Tackles at Stanford in '09 and '10, so the familiarity goes much deeper than just Harbaugh), so it's probably best shot for him while the 49ers have nothing to lose. Good deal.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Rumor is they let Veldheer and Houston go because they're Al Davis guys. If true, very petty and counterproductive.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Rumor is they let Veldheer and Houston go because they're Al Davis guys. If true, very petty and counterproductive.

Houston is just not that good. No need to build around him.

Veldheer has a lot of upside, but after they didn't franchise him the writing was on the wall. I don't think he will be that hard to replace.

Why would they keep McFadden then if they were trying to get rid of Al Davis players?

:shakehead

McFadden is signed to an all incentive laden deal. Only 100k is guaranteed, and the base is $1.75 mil. That's a great value for his potential. If it doesn't work out cut him. Kinda like ManRam with the A's a few years ago. Why not give it a shot?

The free agent signings is what has me a bit perplexed with the Raiders. They have money, but haven't really spent it yet. Ben Tate would be a great guy to bring in, and Revis would be quite the snag. No matter what McKenzie needs a 180 from last year's draft to keep his job. I'm not impressed with his ability to scout talent right now. I still don't get what the heck he was doing picking Wilson last year, and DJ Hayden did not look good at all when he played last year. If they pick Johnny Manziel I will be beyond pissed.

49ers fans will be underwhelmed by Bethea. He is not good in coverage at all which is surprising given his athletic abilities. 49ers need to find someone in the draft that can play substantial minutes. That secondary is extremely young, and a lot will be put on their shoulders this year. I think they will miss Hitner. Every WR in the NFL knows he is back there and willing to pay a $30k fine to blow you up. That goes a long ways and creates some serious alligator arms for receivers coming across the middle.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Houston is just not that good. No need to build around him.

Veldheer has a lot of upside, but after they didn't franchise him the writing was on the wall. I don't think he will be that hard to replace.

McFadden is signed to an all incentive laden deal. Only 100k is guaranteed, and the base is $1.75 mil. That's a great value for his potential. If it doesn't work out cut him. Kinda like ManRam with the A's a few years ago. Why not give it a shot?

The free agent signings is what has me a bit perplexed with the Raiders. They have money, but haven't really spent it yet. Ben Tate would be a great guy to bring in, and Revis would be quite the snag. No matter what McKenzie needs a 180 from last year's draft to keep his job. I'm not impressed with his ability to scout talent right now. I still don't get what the heck he was doing picking Wilson last year, and DJ Hayden did not look good at all when he played last year. If they pick Johnny Manziel I will be beyond pissed.

49ers fans will be underwhelmed by Bethea. He is not good in coverage at all which is surprising given his athletic abilities. 49ers need to find someone in the draft that can play substantial minutes. That secondary is extremely young, and a lot will be put on their shoulders this year. I think they will miss Hitner. Every WR in the NFL knows he is back there and willing to pay a $30k fine to blow you up. That goes a long ways and creates some serious alligator arms for receivers coming across the middle.

49er fans will not miss Whitner. He has coverage issues himself and that very ability to intimidate receivers also costs the team in personal fouls and big plays against because he'll go for the big hit instead of the ball and if he misses, nobody's behind him to stop the receiver. If they can improve their corner spots then the 49ers will be fine but Whitner, like Goldson, was not some great defender. They can hit and that's about it. Reid is much better at coverage than either and he was just a rookie.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
49er fans will not miss Whitner. He has coverage issues himself and that very ability to intimidate receivers also costs the team in personal fouls and big plays against because he'll go for the big hit instead of the ball and if he misses, nobody's behind him to stop the receiver. If they can improve their corner spots then the 49ers will be fine but Whitner, like Goldson, was not some great defender. They can hit and that's about it. Reid is much better at coverage than either and he was just a rookie.

I agree they won't miss Whitner specifically. I didn't word that how I wanted to.

What they will miss is the fear WRs have coming across the middle with him at safety. He is one of the hardest hitters left in the league, and the type of player the NFL is trying to get rid of with their new wussy rules for QBs and WRs.

With Revis just released by the Bucs I wonder if he would take a pay cut to go to the 49ers. He said he wants to play for SF.

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I agree they won't miss Whitner specifically. I didn't word that how I wanted to.

What they will miss is the fear WRs have coming across the middle with him at safety. He is one of the hardest hitters left in the league, and the type of player the NFL is trying to get rid of with their new wussy rules for QBs and WRs.

The NFL isn't trying to get rid of those players, he has to adjust like everyone else has to. Eric Reid was a head hunter at LSU but he changed once he hit the NFL because he's an extremely intelligent football player. Whitner would lay the wood in the run game moreso than the passing game in which he was carried by Reid after Eric got comfortable.

JodyShelleysNo1Fan

Feb 22, 2007

With Revis just released by the Bucs I wonder if he would take a pay cut to go to the 49ers. He said he wants to play for SF.
That "fear" is overrated. They rarely got beat with the long ball last season but they got beat across the middle quite often. They didn't miss Goldson and his hard hits and they won't miss Whitner for those either.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
That "fear" is overrated. They rarely got beat with the long ball last season but they got beat across the middle quite often. They didn't miss Goldson and his hard hits and they won't miss Whitner for those either.

Well that's because Carlos Rogers fell off a cliff and was abused by slot receivers. If they managed to get Revis, that would solidify the corner position and allow Brock to slide inside against slot receivers.

Revis/Brock/Culliver is a huge upgrade.

Risky F

Don't Mess Up.
Jun 10, 2011
San Ramon, CA
12 million is a huge overpayment. glad it wasn't the Niners. Walter Thurmond still out there. I'd want them to take a run at him.

I also firmly believe the Niners will trade up in the first round to take a high wide receiver like Adams from Texas A&M or Clinton-Dixx

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
The NFL isn't trying to get rid of those players, he has to adjust like everyone else has to. Eric Reid was a head hunter at LSU but he changed once he hit the NFL because he's an extremely intelligent football player. Whitner would lay the wood in the run game moreso than the passing game in which he was carried by Reid after Eric got comfortable.

How can you say the NFL isn't trying to get rid of those players? They are in the middle of a lawsuit that could end up costing billions of dollars, and have been putting in rules that basically tie one hand behind db's backs. The "defenseless receiver" rule is completely changing the NFL and the way teams play defense.

"intelligent" and "NFL Player" are very rarely used in the same sentence, unless you are talking about a lack there of.

That's crap. If a WR gets blown up across the middle they will absolutely think about it the next time they run that route. The best receivers will run it and take the hit again, but every week I see guys drop balls out of fear of getting hit.

The reason they got beat across the middle is because their pass coverage was mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad