Non-Sharks NorCal Sports Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I think its a smart trade by both teams, A's go into the playoffs a 2B away from having the best team on paper. The Cubs get a future star Shortstop to go along with their future star third baseman (I forget his name), the Cubs are gonna be on the up in a couple years.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It might be a big haul. Trading Russell, Straily and Mckinney. But the A's are all in right now. Beane always does this. He's not scared to trade their big prospects. I like how Billy always does this to improve the team. The A's might spend more money in the off season also knowing they'll be staying in Oakland for a while. And Parker and Griffin will be coming back next year from Tommy John.

I don't think Billy is done. Billy might package Milone and Jaso or Vogt for a second basemen now. I'm excited to see what Billy will do.

To be honest, I would say Parker's days as a starter are over. Guys just don't come back from 2 TJ surgeries and become starters again, his future, if there is any, will be in the bullpen and from what i remember he isn't supposed to be at 100% until next year's AS break

Griffin could be used in an offseason trade if Hammel is re-signed but I doubt that happens so I expect to see Griffin back next year

My dream scenario would be that Beane trades Reddick and Johnson for a 2B but that's just a dream. Realistically it would probably be Milone. Jaso and Vogt are both worth holding on to, especially Vogt with the way he's been hitting. Johnson better be DFA'd any day now and I expect Pomeranz and Mills to be sent down to AAA, no reason to DFA Mills as he's been pretty good in his starts

Risky F

Don't Mess Up.
Jun 10, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Win now attitude. Good for the A's. However, they are pretty much dead in the center of the diamond. Aging Punto, serviceable Sogard, and Lowrie being the only good one but he's 30. A's have now traded their top two infield prospects in consecutive years. Hope it works out for you Billy.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Win now attitude. Good for the A's. However, they are pretty much dead in the center of the diamond. Aging Punto, serviceable Sogard, and Lowrie being the only good one but he's 30. A's have now traded their top two infield prospects in consecutive years. Hope it works out for you Billy.

This post is dripping with jealousy.

A's know they have a hole at 2nd. Billy always has a plan. No need to worry about us, worry about which aging veteran Sabean plans to give up assets for, like he does every year.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

Grant Green was also a top infield prospect, how did that workout? How's Michael Choice doing down in Texas?

And remember when A's fans were furious when we traded Gio and Cahill? Those trades sure seemed to workout just fine

Sure Russell is a top prospect with a very bright future but it's no sure thing. We all know the A's are not a team that can contend for 5-6 seasons in a row, they know they need to win now and this trade vastly improves the rotation for those tough games they need to win down the stretch. Milone or Hammel and Johnson for a 2B would put this team over the top

Risky F

Don't Mess Up.
Jun 10, 2011
San Ramon, CA

A's know they have a hole at 2nd. Billy always has a plan. No need to worry about us, worry about which aging veteran Sabean plans to give up assets for, like he does every year.

"Billy always has a plan." How many titles has that got them to? just wondering.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
"Billy always has a plan." How many titles has that got them to? just wondering.

Nice logic.

Enjoy watching your team fall back down to reality.

But if you really want to live in the past, he was on the 89 team that won, so 1 more than Bonds lead the Giants to. Flawless logic!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Whoa dude, mellow out. He's not "jealous", he brings up a valid point. The A's have just given up their best prospect (and one of the best prospects in baseball) at a position of need without any other viable in-house solution waiting in the wings. It doesn't mean the trade won't work out, it doesn't mean that Beane doesn't find a way to fill the hole or at least patch it until a better solution can be found. He's just pointing out that it's a risk. One the A's probably calculated for, but a risk nonetheless. Attributing it to jealousy is a shallow and almost never correct assumption, just like how "you're just a hater" has become the default way to ignore the possibility of legitimate criticism about anything.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Whoa dude, mellow out. He's not "jealous", he brings up a valid point. The A's have just given up their best prospect (and one of the best prospects in baseball) at a position of need without any other viable in-house solution waiting in the wings. It doesn't mean the trade won't work out, it doesn't mean that Beane doesn't find a way to fill the hole or at least patch it until a better solution can be found. He's just pointing out that it's a risk. One the A's probably calculated for, but a risk nonetheless. Attributing it to jealousy is a shallow and almost never correct assumption, just like how "you're just a hater" has become the default way to ignore the possibility of legitimate criticism about anything.

A check of his post history regarding the A's proves otherwise ..

Grant Green was never thought of highly because he was never able to play any position on defense even adequately. He's all bat, no glove.

The A's also now have two of Chavez/Pomeranz/Milone (least likely) moving out of the rotation, so one of them can be dangled for a bat or IF prospect.

With the deal on the coliseum wrapped up, Wolff is putting more money into the roster. Before this move, Beane actually offered a comparable package for David Price.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
A's making some risky moves here. They better hope they win this year or else they could be in trouble. If Dodgers get Price though they are World Series champs in my mind. You would have 5 all-star starters.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
A's making some risky moves here. They better hope they win this year or else they could be in trouble. If Dodgers get Price though they are World Series champs in my mind. You would have 5 all-star starters.

For who, Matt Kemp? :laugh::p:

I guess Lew Wolff is tired of getting mauled by Tigers year after year. :naughty:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Meh. Price has lost game 5 to Cliff Lee in the past. Even if they get him, it doesn't mean they'll win it all. Baseball playoffs are the biggest crapshoot out of all the sports that play multiple game series.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
This is almost certainly an overreaction but I think the Giants need to do a rebuild or spend more money. They are gonna always be up against the "new Yankees" now.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no viable in-house solution at shortstop in the system you say?

look no further than daniel robertson. his development is not too far behind that of russell's and he's the same age. russell is highly talented but with robertson in the system, i wouldn't say that the A's have no decent shortstop prospects

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
no viable in-house solution at shortstop in the system you say?

look no further than daniel robertson. his development is not too far behind that of russell's and he's the same age. russell is highly talented but with robertson in the system, i wouldn't say that the A's have no decent shortstop prospects

The org is very high on Robertson. Also, with Lowrie struggling the way he is at the plate this season, it's very possible the A's could get him to re-sign for 2 years at a decent rate while Robertson progresses

I didn't know you were an A's fan. You should post in thr baseball forum sometime.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Ouch. Tough to see that injury.. I know it doesn't mean much, but i voted for you to go to the ASG, Encarnacion.

As a Jays fan... yeah, I'd definitely give that run scored beating out the double play just to see Edwin not hurt. He pretty much has been our offense since Bautista has been recovering from injury (can only DH for the time being till he fully recovers) and we are trotting out AAA scrubs like Darin Mastroianni and Brad Glenn out there. The starting pitching is keeping them in it, which is something I never thought I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad