Non-Minnesota NHL News XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Every year we'd get red hot immediately after we were mathematically eliminated.

In typical Wild fashion. :facepalm:

2012 in particular. But we probably wouldn't have been top 3. Top forwards would have been gone and we still would have passed on Forsberg. We just would have been trading Dumba for Hampus or Morgan Reilly. Assuming those picks were above Dumba, which they should be.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I thought 2012 we were 3rd from the bottom with a week and a half to go and went something like 4-0-1 in our last 5 or something.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I thought 2012 we were 3rd from the bottom with a week and a half to go and went something like 4-0-1 in our last 5 or something.

Well, 4-1-1 in 6. Our last game was a loss. And our previous 16 games we went 4-11-1. And previous 25 games we were 6-16-3.

We were tied for '3rd' going into that stretch. It was a disappointing positive end to the year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well, 4-1-1 in 6. Our last game was a loss. And our previous 16 games we went 4-11-1. And previous 25 games we were 6-16-3.

We were tied for '3rd' going into that stretch. It was a disappointing positive end to the year.

I like Dumba and all, but Galchenyuk's #27 would look mighty good right about now.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I like Dumba and all, but Galchenyuk's #27 would look mighty good right about now.

If we would have drafted Galchenyuk, that would have scaled FBJ hype to minuscule proportions compared to him. If he was here, we'd be in the upper echelon of the NHL. Whoever said we may have cost ourselves several cups may have been right if its the difference between Galchenyuk and Dumba.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

I was so livid. We had a legit shot at being a lottery team that year which would have gotten us one hell of a puzzle piece.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Interesting... I'd like to see Marleau retire a Shark, though.

Don't see San Jose trading him to divisional rivals (LA, Anaheim), so the only realistic destination would be the Rangers, but they don't have nearly enough cap room.

Sounds like Marleau doesn't see San Jose as a contender.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
We've been saying that about the Oilers for almost a decade now.

More like half a decade. Once they got their second consecutive #1 overall pick is when people started saying it. Whether their young'n's perform or not, they're not really set up for the long-term success many are projecting them to have, IMO.

Say all the kids they have, including Nail, step up. You gotta figure out a way to pay all of them around the same time. If they can't figure out how to do that, they'll trade one or two of them. They'll either trade them for proven talent, which will inevitably take up a considerable amount of cap space anyway, or they'll trade them for picks/prospects and continue the cycle that they've been in.

Say only a couple step up, the rest are duds. Minimal-to-no trade value or a flight risk for a change of scenery. Could kill the depth that you have invested so many minutes, games and seasons developing.

So even if the Oilers don't run into cap issues, I still am not buying that they're going to be some powerhouse in the West in a few years. I just don't think that the folks within the Oilers organization are competent enough to juggle all these pieces without dropping a couple of them.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
And I'm guessing the Oilers are going to be veeeeeery cap conscious in the upcoming years. Just to be sure they have like a billion dollars coming off the books in time for McDavid to re-sign. Just in case he gets curious and they need to give him the key to El Dorado to stay there.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Is there a gap starting to form in the Central?

Looks like the beginnings of a divide between Dallas/St. Louis/Minnesota/Nashville and Winnipeg/Chicago/Colorado.

Not even 20% through the season, so obviously really early, but I'm really intrigued at how this is all gonna shake out.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Is there a gap starting to form in the Central?

Looks like the beginnings of a divide between Dallas/St. Louis/Minnesota/Nashville and Winnipeg/Chicago/Colorado.

Not even 20% through the season, so obviously really early, but I'm really intrigued at how this is all gonna shake out.

It appears there may indeed be but it's still close enough where 2 game swings can change it all again. Either way, if one team has a rough stretch like we did last year, I believe it will be much more difficult to climb out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad