Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I'd offer sheet Marner. We don't draft good players with our 1st round picks anyways...

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'd offer sheet Marner. We don't draft good players with our 1st round picks anyways...

Would you? The Wild most likely don't have enough cap space next season to outbid the Leafs (or any other team) for Marner. Less than 21 million for next season minus Zucker, Dumba, Staal, et al.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Would you? The Wild most likely don't have enough cap space next season to outbid the Leafs (or any other team) for Marner. Less than 21 million for next season minus Zucker, Dumba, Staal, et al.
It was more of a shot at management and their drafting. But, getting Marner and having to let some players go would be the shakeup, which I was more expecting this off-season. We just signed a bunch of 4th liners and are hoping for a different outcome next season. Our forwards need elite talent somehow.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It was more of a shot at management and their drafting. But, getting Marner and having to let some players go would be the shakeup, which I was more expecting this off-season. We just signed a bunch of 4th liners and are hoping for a different outcome next season. Our forwards need elite talent somehow.

My suggestion is to tank this season, draft Hughes, add Kaprizov. Cup in 2022.

Reactions: HollaHaula

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
My suggestion is to tank this season, draft Hughes, add Kaprizov. Cup in 2022.
Honestly, I would have no problem with that. At least we would have direction. We're just stagnant right now and I can almost pencil in what the result will be next season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Honestly, I would have no problem with that. At least we would have direction. We're just stagnant right now and I can almost pencil in what the result will be next season.
Not sure what is funnier, the fact that you think that's a good idea, or the fact that you think he's being serious?

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Not sure what is funnier, the fact that you think that's a good idea, or the fact that you think he's being serious?
Can't wait to be sitting in the exact same situation again next off-season after wasting another year.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

:laugh: A lot can happen. People complain about the core of the team, and I think Parise is fading fast, Suter might return diminished, Koivu was his solid self but he's 35, Staal was great but as a pending UFA there's no guarantees. Zucker is about to go from being a great value to being a lesser one, at minimum. Granlund is great but slipped a bit. Nino hasn't had an offensive breakthrough. Coyle is a limited player approaching UFA status. Spurgeon is still pretty good value, but won't look it for long if Suter slips. And on I could go. A solidly something group of guys.

It's not a team that inspires much confidence, and that's why the owner brought in new eyes.

A few years ago the U-25 core was one of the best in the league. Now it's bottom third. That awful 2013 draft, losing Tuch, a poor 2017 draft, and a lot of question marks. And the GM just added Fehr, Liambas, Bartkowski, Hendricks, Brown. The heart of the team is a 33 year old guy with back problems and a cracked sternum, owed over 50 million still. It's not a great situation.

It took a lottery pick for the Preds to add a real center (gave up the better player in Jones anyhow). I think that it will take something like that for the Wild to get over the hump.

But no, there's no way to tank. The team is too good to sink that low, even if Kahkonen ends up starting some games this season. So rinse and repeat.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
:laugh: A lot can happen. People complain about the core of the team, and I think Parise is fading fast, Suter might return diminished, Koivu was his solid self but he's 35, Staal was great but as a pending UFA there's no guarantees. Zucker is about to go from being a great value to being a lesser one, at minimum. Granlund is great but slipped a bit. Nino hasn't had an offensive breakthrough. Coyle is a limited player approaching UFA status. Spurgeon is still pretty good value, but won't look it for long if Suter slips. And on I could go. A solidly something group of guys.

It's not a team that inspires much confidence, and that's why the owner brought in new eyes.

A few years ago the U-25 core was one of the best in the league. Now it's bottom third. That awful 2013 draft, losing Tuch, a poor 2017 draft, and a lot of question marks. And the GM just added Fehr, Liambas, Bartkowski, Hendricks, Brown. The heart of the team is a 33 year old guy with back problems and a cracked sternum, owed over 50 million still. It's not a great situation.

It took a lottery pick for the Preds to add a real center (gave up the better player in Jones anyhow). I think that it will take something like that for the Wild to get over the hump.

But no, there's no way to tank. The team is too good to sink that low, even if Kahkonen ends up starting some games this season. So rinse and repeat.
Every team in the league is doomed if you look at them with the attitude that anyone coming off of a good season, won't be able to repeat it. And anyone coming off of a bad season is just proof that they're heading in the wrong direction.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Every team in the league is doomed if you look at them with the attitude that anyone coming off of a good season, won't be able to repeat it. And anyone coming off of a bad season is just proof that they're heading in the wrong direction.

I look at Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Zucker, Dumba, Brodin, even guys like Rau and Kloos, and especially Greenway, JEE, and Kunin as the hope for a playoff run. Not ruling it out, and I know you need some older guys in there too. The problem with the Wild since they traded for Pominville is a little too much old on the old side, and a little too much young on the young. Lack of balance. But still, it's summer. Just a chalk board and a head full of dreams.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Leafs were able to dump Martin for nothing (ECHL goalie) to the NYI of all teams. Lou must really love him as a player, or something. (I really do need a tinfoil hat smilie).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Leafs were able to dump Martin for nothing (ECHL goalie) to the NYI of all teams. Lou must really love him as a player, or something. (I really do need a tinfoil hat smilie).
Martin is the sort of player that GM's develop dumb attachments to.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Martin is the sort of player that GM's develop dumb attachments to.

I guess it makes sense if the plan for NYI is to do a complete teardown/selloff, at least Clutterbuck and Matrin play some entertaining hockey.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Pretty sure Lou is still secretly employed by the Leafs.

At least our GM isn't Jim Benning. Giving career 4th liners $24 million with term and partial NTCs. What a moron...

Reactions: 2Pair

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Pretty sure Lou is still secretly employed by the Leafs.

At least our GM isn't Jim Benning. Giving career 4th liners $24 million with term and partial NTCs. What a moron...

You need a tinfoil hat smilie too. :vhappy:

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Not liking the rumors of Dallas being the front runners for Karlsson.
I bet it's more of a leverage thing for teams like Vegas to pony up more. Unless Mel and Dor are super desperate I don't see how they can get him without giving up enough where it's almost not worth it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I bet it's more of a leverage thing for teams like Vegas to pony up more. Unless Mel and Dor are super desperate I don't see how they can get him without giving up enough where it's almost not worth it.

Dallas does have 3 unsigned 1st rounders, from the last 3 drafts, on their reserve list: Ottinger, Tufte, and Dellandrea. They could really give OTT an influx of youth.

It really would be a ballsy all-in move with having both EK and Seguin as UFAs after the season. EK and Klingberg as the top-4 RDs would be fun to watch though, it's not like Hitch is their head coach.

I forgot the hired Montgomery from U of Denver this year too.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Dallas does have 3 unsigned 1st rounders, from the last 3 drafts, on their reserve list: Ottinger, Tufte, and Dellandrea. They could really give OTT an influx of youth.

It really would be a ballsy all-in move with having both EK and Seguin as UFAs after the season. EK and Klingberg as the top-4 RDs would be fun to watch though, it's not like Hitch is their head coach.

I forgot the hired Montgomery from U of Denver this year too.
All that means is they have even less depth. Karlsson is going to get what DD did or even more and Seguin is getting more than Benn.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
All that means is they have even less depth. Karlsson is going to get what DD did or even more and Seguin is getting more than Benn.

The unsigned 1st's don't really effect their current depth. It'll hurt in a few years though.

Dallas will have the cap next season Spezza ($7.5m) and Methot ($4.9m) deals are done, and $1.5m for Niemi's buyout comes off the books; that's a big chuck of change. Hanzal ($4.75m) comes off the next season.

Benn, Bishop, Radulov (getting older), and Klingberg all have 4 ($25m total) or more years on their current deals. It would be expensive but if they could have lock up Seguin and EK long term to go with those players they have a really nice group to work with. That would be $45m-$50m (guessing) for 6 players? It would make the cap tight, but manageable as long as they didn't sign anymore bad deals.

I dunno if EK wants to stay in TX, but the no income tax is a big bonus (sales tax is somewhat high though).

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The unsigned 1st's don't really effect their current depth. It'll hurt in a few years though.

Dallas will have the cap next season Spezza ($7.5m) and Methot ($4.9m) deals are done, and $1.5m for Niemi's buyout comes off the books; that's a big chuck of change. Hanzal ($4.75m) comes off the next season.

Benn, Bishop, Radulov (getting older), and Klingberg all have 4 ($25m total) or more years on their current deals. It would be expensive but if they could have lock up Seguin and EK long term to go with those players they have a really nice group to work with. That would be $45m-$50m (guessing) for 6 players? It would make the cap tight, but manageable as long as they didn't sign anymore bad deals.

I dunno if EK wants to stay in TX, but the no income tax is a big bonus (sales tax is somewhat high though).
He doesn't strike me as a "Southern" type of guy. I think he would prefer a big city where the lime light is more prevalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad