Non Leaf Fans Opinion of Phil Kessel

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
He's a gifted offensive producer, an underrated play-maker and a complete gong-show in pretty much every other facet of hockey.

He's the guy you add towards the end of a build to put a team over the top. He's not the guy you build around.

In a non-cap world, would be happy to take him on the Blackhawks, where he'd have plenty of possession drivers to insulate him and afford him the best matchups.

sums it up well i think

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
He's a hell of a player. But like others have said, not amazing defensively. I find he can get lazy at times. He gets too much flack from the media though. He's not the guy who you build your team around; he's the guy you add to go deep in the playoffs. The leafs were silly to add him at the time they did, and give up so much for him.

Dec 8, 2014
I like Phil. His role with a team, what he brings to a team is similar to a player like Vanek, Ryder etc.

spg2000

Mar 2, 2013
He's an amazing scorer, but given his poor defensive play, position, and lack of grit he's not a player I'd want on my team in the salary cap era. I'd just want big resources like that spent on other types of players.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Very good goal scorer. No defense and no physical game.

Would not be happy in a cap world or with an internal cap, to be paying him $8m per

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Very good goal scorer. No defense and no physical game.

Would not be happy in a cap world or with an internal cap, to be paying him $8m per

Agree. Also, appears to be something of a head case, but then he would not be the first player negatively impacted by the Toronto media and the pressure that comes with playing in the Toronto market.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The way his character is frequently called into question by the media seems unfounded. They want a guy that is a superstar in all facets of hockey, and that just isn't who Kessel is. He is a superstar offensively though, and I like that he can generate offence with very little help on his line. Exceptionally talented player. He's never going to be the best player on a championship team though, given the deficiencies he does have. Put him in the right role, like with a defensively responsible centre on an otherwise elite team, and he could easily be the difference between winning a championship and losing one.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
Great winger with excellent offensive talents. Probably my favorite American player in the league.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's an excellent skilled offensive player. He's not a leader and not franchsie player and shouldn;t be held to that standard.

He suffers from the the same anti offensive player bias this whole league has. If you play great offense and have holes in your game on D or toughenss you are raked over the coals constantly.

If you play good D and throw the odd check and provide no offense at all, never taking a chance you are patted on the head and called a great player.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
As a Leafs fan it's really nice to see Phil getting some respect. If you only listened to the Toronto media it'd be easy to think the hockey world views him as an obese problem child. He deserves so much better than Toronto.

I still find it hilarious that in spite of surviving cancer, getting called the best player he's ever played with by Patrick Kane, being named an Olympic MVP, and most recently getting picked first at the All Star Draft he can't ditch the "poison" tag because he's shy and carries weight differently...Big Buff must be Cup kryptonite then.

Last edited:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Kessel is an elite talent and a top scorer in the game. I do question his locker-room presence though, and I doubt that he can be a main piece that can be built around to win a cup. He would need to be on a team with a very strong leadership group imo.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I remember watching him in college and thinking how good he could play if he wasn't so lazy. Fast forward 9 years and I am still left thinking it because holy crap does he still have a Lazer of a wrist shot.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
why does he look so out of shape?

he's got a round face and really full cheeks and it makes him look fat...

everything Ive read in this thread (complimentary player, needs good defensively responsible line mates/good defense to cover for him/needs a market with benign media) makes it sound like Nashville is the place where he would maximize his usefulness

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He's dead last in even strength goals against among forwards year in, year out. Can't win a puck battle to save his life and wouldn't take a hit to make a play if it was Game 7 of the Cup final.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think the Leafs expect more from Kessel than they should. He's a highly skilled offensive player but nothing more. I don't see much difference between him and Patrick Kane, but one has a terrific supporting cast and one doesn't.

He's not a leader, he's not a defensive stalwart and he's not physical, what he is is a tremendous goal scorer. The Leafs need to get those other things from the other 20 guys on the team.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
He looks a good 30-40 lbs overweight. Last guy I would be looking to give a huge long term contract too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad