Non Leaf Fans Opinion of Phil Kessel

MrLegend28*

im a kessel fan. Always have been, always will be. all you hear is negativity and bashing because they want this unbelieveable offensive/defensive player.

I just am curious what other fan bases (preferably no one who lives in Toronto) opinions are of Kessel.

If this has been done before my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's a gifted offensive producer, an underrated play-maker and a complete gong-show in pretty much every other facet of hockey.

He's the guy you add towards the end of a build to put a team over the top. He's not the guy you build around.

In a non-cap world, would be happy to take him on the Blackhawks, where he'd have plenty of possession drivers to insulate him and afford him the best matchups.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
Would love to have him on Penguins. He would have lot less media attention that should help his morale as well.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This won't end well..

He's a top tier goal scorer. First liner. He's not perfect, but he does his job well and he'd be better if he would have a legit passing 1C.

MrLegend28*

This won't end well..

He's a top tier goal scorer. First liner. He's not perfect, but he does his job well and he'd be better if he would have a legit passing 1C.

as long as Leaf fans remain out of it like I asked it should be fine. Its refreshing to see the comments thus far. Ive seen more positive remarks in 5 replies then in a day on the Leafs sub forum

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
He's the Marshawn Lynch of the NHL (well almost) crossed with Barry Bonds crossed with man who counts to potato. If he didn't have all that he's a great hockey player. But because of all of that, he's a support player at best 2nd liner on a team with 2 or 3 other stars.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
He's a gifted offensive producer, an underrated play-maker and a complete gong-show in pretty much every other facet of hockey.

He's the guy you add towards the end of a build to put a team over the top. He's not the guy you build around.

In a non-cap world, would be happy to take him on the Blackhawks, where he'd have plenty of possession drivers to insulate him and afford him the best matchups.

I think this is exactly what David Poile is thinking...

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Amazing player in a ****** team, I would take him anytime. He's one of the very few bright spot in this team.

alexny

Jun 15, 2014
im a kessel fan. Always have been, always will be. all you hear is negativity and bashing because they want this unbelieveable offensive/defensive player.

I just am curious what other fan bases (preferably no one who lives in Toronto) opinions are of Kessel.

If this has been done before my bad.

He's an excellent offensive player who would do best playing on a strong defensive team with good two-way forwards. Like Boston, ironically.

Toronto is a bad fit for him in terms of personnel and the media pressure/spotlight.

Last edited by a moderator:

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
He's the Marshawn Lynch of the NHL (well almost) crossed with Barry Bonds crossed with man who counts to potato. If he didn't have all that he's a great hockey player. But because of all of that, he's a support player at best 2nd liner on a team with 2 or 3 other stars.

That Lynch Bonds comparison made no sense to me lol

Kessel is a great player, often underrated imo.
Way faster than I'd ever expect him to be

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Phil's a deadly goalscorer and an elite offensive talent. He's quite weak defensively, but he's a winger, so the damage of that would be mitigated by playing with a center capable of providing more defensive support. He may get miscast as rude to the media, but I think that he is more shy and uncomfortable around the media. As a player, he has a lot of strengths and a team that wants to build around him should try to give him line mates capable of increasing his good attributes and compensating for his less stellar ones.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
In regards to his media relations lol.
Kessel's only stands against the media have been after ridiculous events (specifically MSM members chasing him down to clear the air and outright asking him if he thought he was uncoachable). That's a hell of a lot different than a player who just outright refuses to deal with the media.

Granted I don't pay attention to the NFL, but it's hard not to come across Lynch's pre-Super Bowl antics nowadays.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Kessel's only stands against the media have been after ridiculous events (specifically MSM members chasing him down to clear the air and outright asking him if he thought he was uncoachable). That's a hell of a lot different than a player who just outright refuses to deal with the media.

Granted I don't pay attention to the NFL, but it's hard not to come across Lynch's pre-Super Bowl antics nowadays.

From an outsider perspective who watches his interviews and media relations in General regularly, they are always incredibly awkward and seem begrudging (in almost every single one). It's tough for that to be the face of your franchise. Skill-wise he's great.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Great shot and good speed. Most effective when he get to counter attack. Good on the power play.

The negatives are that he avoids contact and doesn't seem to want to play defense. I think there is a decent chance he'll be one of those players who take a big step back in their early 30s because their natural athleticism isn't enough to make up for a lack of proper training. When he loses a step or two, I don't think he'll be nearly as effective as he has been.

member 151739

Great shooter, underrated playmaker. Very soft. Also very lazy defensively. At least backcheck and make an effort. Granted, I haven't watched every Leafs game, but the games I do watch, that's the case.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
He's a great scorer. Had he been on the right team at the right time, he may have won some things already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad