OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - We Got Other Sports Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I trust Zimmer fully when it comes to defense. If he views Hodges as expendable, might as well pick up someone at a position of need.

Hopefully the C can play.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Finnish national football team.

OXBQcPa.gif

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
As a Blue Jays fan, now I know exactly what you guys went through in 2006 with the Twins. It's happening to us too :cry:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
As a Blue Jays fan, now I know exactly what you guys went through in 2006 with the Twins. It's happening to us too :cry:

My jaw hit the floor when I realized earlier this year that Latroy Hawkins is still playing baseball.

I thought he was 40 like a decade ago when he was pitching for the Twins. :laugh:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sounds like the tech being installed is the most advanced version that only became available this year too. Which is what the Wilf's paid extra to obtain.

Slick Willy*

How popular are Wild compared to other sports team in Minnesota? Are they more popular than Timbewolves and Twins?

1a. Vikings
1b. Twins
3. Wild
4. Wolves

Everything else.

Took me a while to accept that because I'm a hockey guy and this is the hockey capital of America, but that's the way it is. (Minnesota has some of the most fairweather fans in the country too...another thing only recently I accepted - I always thought our stuff didn't stink, but our fan bases are not very good, JMO).

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Absolute must win for the Gophers.

Took care of business. But I am a little worried about them getting two more wins and being bowl eligible. They looked good yesterday but we know how bad they can be.

Nebraska (?)
Michigan (L)
OSU (L)
Iowa (L)
Illinois (W)
Wisconsin (?)

*Sidebar- Watch the Brook's run again up close, he winks at the Purdue Cheerleaders when he walks back to the sideline hahaha

Last edited:

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Took me a while to accept that because I'm a hockey guy and this is the hockey capital of America, but that's the way it is. (Minnesota has some of the most fairweather fans in the country too...another thing only recently I accepted - I always thought our stuff didn't stink, but our fan bases are not very good, JMO).

Franchises are mired in mediocrity and hopelessness; there is going to be an effect on fans. Proven to be the worst city in all of sports because of the teams, it seeps into the culture of the fans.

Slick Willy*

1. Vikings

2.Twins

3.Wild

4.Wolves

I don't see a 1a/b situation at all. Vikes are the superpower in town, and there is no other.

I can agree with this. I'd say 2 would be more like a 2a (Twins) and 2b (Wild) than Vikings being 1a Twins 1b.

Franchises are mired in mediocrity and hopelessness; there is going to be an effect on fans. Proven to be the worst city in all of sports because of the teams, it seeps into the culture of the fans.

Everyone uses that excuse.

Do Gophers alum abandon their lousy teams because they've been abysmal for...forever?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

1a. Vikings
1b. Twins
3. Wild
4. Wolves

Everything else.

It's less fairweather and more like an abused spouse. All the teams have let the fans down in such amazing ways in their history that even when they're doing well everyone is cautious because they don't want to go all in just to be heartbroken again. It was easier for me to fully cheer for the Wild during the tail end of the DR era than it was to cheer for the vikings during 2009. Always that nagging feeling that you're going to be very disappointed, and so far no team has really proved that wrong since 1991.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
If Minnesota ever wins another World Series: It'd be a pretty cool party downtown
If Minnesota ever wins a Stanley Cup: The state would ****ing explode
If Minnesota ever wins a Super Bowl: Every grown man would sob

And as far as basketball goes...well, there was some polite applause for the Lynx (who, hey, just won another title!) and I'm sure we'd muster the same mild enthusiasm if the Wolves ever went deep.

Slick Willy*

lol I forgot the Lynx were on. I'd rather watch post season MLB anyway.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jays/Rangers game was epic and bizarre at the same time. I was dumbfounded by the throw back to the pitcher hitting the batters bat allowing the man on third to run home. I've never seen or heard of such a thing.

Then the three straight errors by the Rangers middle infield... And the misjudged bloop...

The crowd was loud, and feral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad