OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XI - Defense? Who Needs Defense?! (Wade Wilson Memorial Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Hotels aren't cheap the closer to the time needed. You can't plan late season trips. This screws fans royally.

TNF should never have been a thing outside of Thanksgiving and the season opener. No matter how hard they try to force it down our throats, the ratings won't get where they want them to.
The way they run it I’m fine with taking it away outside of holiday weekends. Giving teams short weeks and not utilizing bye weeks leading up to it is stupid

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Packers get to host the 2025 NFL draft. That’ll be a shell shock.

Better than hosting a Super Bowl (Feb in GB isn't fun).

I just wonder how far away (distance wise) the hotels will end up being sold out?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
US Bank Stadium getting paid of early

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don’t mean to be rude, but…. Who is that?
He wasn’t a prolific tight end but, if I recall correctly, was a beast at blocking. Don’t recall if he was from the area but a low profile player that was really good at an aspect that doesn’t garner a lot of media praise

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Breer said the quiet part out loud in his latest Monday Morning Quarterback piece. There had been many rumors that the Dolphins and Cook were both interested in each other and the landing spot made a lot of sense back in March.
As things sit today, it’s not quite that simple. The Dolphins re-signed both Jeff Wilson Jr. and Raheem Mostert while selecting Devon Achane in the third round of April’s NFL draft.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
On one hand, there’s a certain amount of self-awareness that comes from recognizing that having Cook on the team won’t deliver a Super Bowl win this year. On the other hand, why wave a white flag pre-emptively?

Anything can happen once the games are played. The offense should be better this year. The defense can’t be any worse. If it only improves a bit under new defensive coordinator Brian Flores, they could make a run — especially with a little luck.

It could still happen without Cook, but not having Cook won’t make it any easier. And if Cook does well in his next stop, many will wonder what the could have done to boost the Vikings beyond whatever they will otherwise be.

Still, all things considered, it feels like just another day in purple purgatory, where being just good enough is always good enough, and where loyal fans will be lured to fill the stands and buy the merch not by the reality of a championship run but by the consistently fleeting, false hope of one.
Cook to be cut tomorrow.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Cook to be cut tomorrow.
While good, his salary wasn’t worth it. I felt Mattison did near Cook’s production at a fraction of the cost

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
While good, his salary wasn’t worth it. I felt Mattison did near Cook’s production at a fraction of the cost
They are very identical however cook has the breakaway speed that mattison doesn’t. That is about the only difference IMO which can be huge but transitioning to a pass heavy offense means it is unneeded.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They are very identical however cook has the breakaway speed that mattison doesn’t. That is about the only difference IMO which can be huge but transitioning to a pass heavy offense means it is unneeded.
I do think Cook also has a bit better vision on seeing the holes too though.
Hands for receiving out of the backfield? Close, but that is where Cook's breakaway speed still differentiates him, probably even more since there is usually more open field.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
eqlowbvwtakpi3jq5236

17d96fbd-58e2-4d7c-b6a5-44c4401158fb_1920x1080.jpg

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I do think Cook also has a bit better vision on seeing the holes too though.
Hands for receiving out of the backfield? Close, but that is where Cook's breakaway speed still differentiates him, probably even more since there is usually more open field.
Agreed cook is better, just not too worried about losing him for the money gained as long as it goes towards our lines on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: fgobuzz and TaLoN

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed cook is better, just not too worried about losing him for the money gained as long as it goes towards our lines on both sides of the ball.
With Cook cut, it definitely weakens any case Barkley and Jacobs have of expecting anything other than their tags. The amount Cook was due in base is equal to their Tag numbers. And once he is on the opening day roster (I believe it’s a Saturday before the Sunday game) then his base would have been guaranteed like the tag is immediately. So no difference.

See what the Vikings do with the cap savings. Who is still left that would intrigue them?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
With Cook cut, it definitely weakens any case Barkley and Jacobs have of expecting anything other than their tags. The amount Cook was due in base is equal to their Tag numbers. And once he is on the opening day roster (I believe it’s a Saturday before the Sunday game) then his base would have been guaranteed like the tag is immediately. So no difference.

See what the Vikings do with the cap savings. Who is still left that would intrigue them?
No idea who is still left but lineman is a huge need IMO.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kind of stunned that Pukki wouldn't stay in Europe. He's still good enough, IMO.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Kind of stunned that Pukki wouldn't stay in Europe. He's still good enough, IMO.

Agreed. But, Robin Lod is one of his best buddies and they've got tremendous chemistry in NT. I assume that weighs heavily in his decision. He's been quite open about wanting a good place for him and his family; this is most likely his last contract abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad