OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XI - Defense? Who Needs Defense?! (Wade Wilson Memorial Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It’s soccer. Do people actually care about that sport in North America? Outside of the World Cup and Ted Lasso, I couldn’t give a single care to the sport.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There’s a lot of salt in this post.

If you actually listened to what the packers said, it was don’t expect Love to step right in and be a generational player like Rodgers. Packers fans have 30 years worth of generational quarterback play. Love might be close to a game manager, like Cousins, but there is still a lot of potential with him. I haven’t seen anything to suggest he can’t match Rodgers’ play from last year. My goal is for him to match that. Anything more than that is gravy. Anything less than that and the packers are probably picking a new QB1 in next year’s draft.

As for my comment about Jaire, the packers have been top 10 in fewest passing yards against each of the last three years. I’d argue the problem is more with coaching and the front 7. Safety wasn’t good last year, but this year’s draft was pretty weak for safeties.

I don’t see what firing your DC has to do with your draft selection. Wouldn’t the goal be to get your new DC weapons to work with?

As long as Love beats the Bears twice and doesn't lay an egg on Thanksgiving I'll be happy. Can't give the Bears any hope after 30 years of being dominated by GB.

I don't expect much from GB this year. They just have so much inexperience at the skill positions this year.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s soccer. Do people actually care about that sport in North America? Outside of the World Cup and Ted Lasso, I couldn’t give a single care to the sport.

It's now a more popular sport in the United States than ice hockey.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

There are 23 countries in North America and roughly 609 million people. The US makes up roughly 339 million of that number.

From a video game perspective FIFA has outsold Madden in the US for a few years.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
There are 23 countries in North America and roughly 609 million people. The US makes up roughly 339 million of that number.

From a video game perspective FIFA has outsold Madden in the US for a few years.
There is? I know of 3…

Edit: just looked it up. Yes, there are 23. Most I would consider part of Central America, but geographically (continent/tectonic plate-wise), it tracks

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail

Football may not be as popular here in the US as it is elsewhere, but it is certainly cared about.
I was blessed to be on contract in Los Angeles over this past Fall/Winter season; the viewing parties for Mexico/USA WC games were incredible. Even more-so was the representation of worldwide football knowledge these fans shared. It wasn’t some rabble of WC blind-faith fans, the collective knowledge on foreign leagues such as the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, and Bundesliga was impressive, and in my humble opinion, has been growing over the past decades.

Edit: I will also say as someone who has travelled to both Bayern Munich and Inter Milan games (Allianz and San Siro respectively), I wish the US had similar passion for sport. Again, my opinion, but I haven’t quite experienced the magic of a Champions League game environment in Europe anywhere here in the US.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Football may not be as popular here in the US as it is elsewhere, but it is certainly cared about.
I was blessed to be on contract in Los Angeles over this past Fall/Winter season; the viewing parties for Mexico/USA WC games were incredible. Even more-so was the representation of worldwide football knowledge these fans shared. It wasn’t some rabble of WC blind-faith fans, the collective knowledge on foreign leagues such as the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, and Bundesliga was impressive, and in my humble opinion, has been growing over the past decades.
I agree. Was able to watch the World Cup in Germany, while it was in Germany. A truly amazing experience.

Reactions: Arturia Pendragon

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I agree. Was able to watch the World Cup in Germany, while it was in Germany. A truly amazing experience.
I was 17 when the 2006 World Cup was played there. I wanted to, more than anything, be there for one of the games. Happy you had the experience, I can’t even imagine the atmosphere.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Me, absolutely. It's the Wild and Newcastle, then the World Cup.

Used to watch hoops, but stopped quite a while ago as this team is doomed, and in general, can't stand the bias in fouls and all the TO's during the last minute or two.

Will watch the Vikings, but almost never another team, though i will catch a Packer's game(I'm one of those weirdos who likes both teams), and sometimes Buffalo. In general, football has way too many stoppages, and is boring as hell unless you are getting up every 5 minutes for snacks and drinks.

Was a big baseball guy. Used to coach, and both my sons were good or better players, but I've gotten fed up with the slowness of the game, and how it is overmanaged. I will probably check in again on the Twins, as the pitch clock is speeding up the game, but I am still disappointed that they traded Arraez, who was one of my fav players ever to watch and cheer for.

When you watch EPL, there are no adds during play...none. Hockey has all sorts of adds, but they are usually of short duration, which helps a bit.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Me, absolutely. It's the Wild and Newcastle, then the World Cup.

Used to watch hoops, but stopped quite a while ago as this team is doomed, and in general, can't stand the bias in fouls and all the TO's during the last minute or two.

Will watch the Vikings, but almost never another team, though i will catch a Packer's game(I'm one of those weirdos who likes both teams), and sometimes Buffalo. In general, football has way too many stoppages, and is boring as hell unless you are getting up every 5 minutes for snacks and drinks.

Was a big baseball guy. Used to coach, and both my sons were good or better players, but I've gotten fed up with the slowness of the game, and how it is overmanaged. I will probably check in again on the Twins, as the pitch clock is speeding up the game, but I am still disappointed that they traded Arraez, who was one of my fav players ever to watch and cheer for.

When you watch EPL, there are no adds during play...none. Hockey has all sorts of adds, but they are usually of short duration, which helps a bit.
I love this post. I'm currently between teams in the Premier League, but I used to know a girl from Nottingham, so now I actively cheer against Nottingham Forest.

So what's your pitch for Newcastle?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I love this post. I'm currently between teams in the Premier League, but I used to know a girl from Nottingham, so now I actively cheer against Nottingham Forest.

So what's your pitch for Newcastle?
Well, it's easy to cheer for them now, because they are winning. It was pretty awful years ago when I latched onto them. I kid you not, they used to Turtle right from the opening whistle.

My ancestors are Geordie's, which means you are a Toon fan, or perhaps Carlisle, which is playing in a lower division. If you're into Geordie kink, then you might be a Sunderland fan.

It's easy to be a Man U/City, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Arsenal fan. It takes great character and courage to be a Newcastle fan.

Pros;

- their iconic uniforms with the B + W stripes, especially the old ones with the "Newcastle Pale Ale" crests.
- their completely invested and crazy fans who jam St. James Park, one of the classic pitches.
- right now, you are catching a team on the upswing, after decades of futility. Think NJD of the Premier league. Some nice young talent, but most importantly a really good, young'ish manager. Almost everyone he brings in seems to have worked out, the morale seems great, and even some of the old players who were considered failures have been rehabilitated under him.

I plan to go to England next year. Hopefully I can get tickets and go to a game. I have been told that going to a Soccer match live is an unmatched atmosphere for even a smaller club, but St James with a good team should be completely Bananas.

Sounds like there might be an interesting story there.
Seems like the team should be called Sherwood Forrest, or the Nottingham Sheriffs.

Reactions: BagHead

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Well, it's easy to cheer for them now, because they are winning. It was pretty awful years ago when I latched onto them. I kid you not, they used to Turtle right from the opening whistle.

My ancestors are Geordie's, which means you are a Toon fan, or perhaps Carlisle, which is playing in a lower division. If you're into Geordie kink, then you might be a Sunderland fan.

It's easy to be a Man U/City, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Arsenal fan. It takes great character and courage to be a Newcastle fan.

Pros;

- their iconic uniforms with the B + W stripes, especially the old ones with the "Newcastle Pale Ale" crests.
- their completely invested and crazy fans who jam St. James Park, one of the classic pitches.
- right now, you are catching a team on the upswing, after decades of futility. Think NJD of the Premier league. Some nice young talent, but most importantly a really good, young'ish manager. Almost everyone he brings in seems to have worked out, the morale seems great, and even some of the old players who were considered failures have been rehabilitated under him.

I plan to go to England next year. Hopefully I can get tickets and go to a game. I have been told that going to a Soccer match live is an unmatched atmosphere for even a smaller club, but St James with a good team should be completely Bananas.

Seems like the team should be called Sherwood Forrest, or the Nottingham Sheriffs.
Not when you're an AFC Richmond fan!

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh there is, but it's embarrassing for all parties involved so I won't be telling it here. Suffice it to say, it involves teenagers doing teenager things.

Thanks for the synopsis! They sound like an interesting team right now, and I've always loved their jerseys. For some reason I gravitate toward the black and white teams. Swansea was a favorite of mine some years back.

I don't have any great reason to follow any particular team, but I think Norwich City would be my favorite if they could actually stick in the Premier League (it's hard for me to catch games as it is). I yearn for that logo and color scheme.
I get the Norwich fascination, but they really are kind of a minor league team. Newcastle is a bit of a sleeping giant, though definitely a second tier one compared to the two Manchester teams, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool.

I would say that Aston Villa and Newcastle are similar. Once mighty teams fallen on decades of hard times that are now showing a pulse.

If i wasn't a NEU fan I would probably be a Sheffield Wednesday fan, but having a team that isn't in the EPL sucks. Hard to watch from over here.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Not when you're an AFC Richmond fan!
1684334340980.gif

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So between the NHL and the NBA conference finals we have:

NBA:
Denver sweeps LA 4-0
Miami leads Boston 3-0 with G4 at home

NHL:
Florida leads Carolina 3-0 with G4 at home
Vegas leads Dallas 2-0

Now I don't care about the NBA one bit, but if you're a fan of both sports, you have to be awfully disappointed by the lack of any drama or even a single close series.

Asinine move...

Ridiculous. Imagine buying a ticket in Florida to watch Vikings @ Dolphins (example, no idea if they play), only to find out two weeks earlier that they flex the game to Thursday night. Horrible for the fans.

And that's not even getting into the fact that the players hate TNF and it's always seemed awful for player safety.

Edit - I see they switched that to four weeks now instead of two. Which is better, but still.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It’s a prime time game late in the season. Makes plenty of sense. You get a month to adjust it’s not that terrible.
Hotels aren't cheap the closer to the time needed. You can't plan late season trips. This screws fans royally.

TNF should never have been a thing outside of Thanksgiving and the season opener. No matter how hard they try to force it down our throats, the ratings won't get where they want them to.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Hotels aren't cheap the closer to the time needed. You can't plan late season trips. This screws fans royally.

TNF should never have been a thing outside of Thanksgiving and the season opener. No matter how hard they try to force it down our throats, the ratings won't get where they want them to.
I feel they just want to shove football down people's throats 7 days out of the week. Didn't they try, or experiment with Saturday games not too long ago?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I feel they just want to shove football down people's throats 7 days out of the week. Didn't they try, or experiment with Saturday games not too long ago?
They start playing Saturday games late in the season, when college football conference playoffs are done. That's been going on for a number of years now.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad