Non-Hockey Sports Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Pretty funny that Diggs re-signed on the same day that Dozier got traded for a whole lot of nothing. Two very differently run franchises. Spielman isn't perfect but the Vikings have a vision and have locked up nearly all of their core through 2020, while the Twins are doing Twins things.

Reactions: BigT2002 and TaLoN

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Pretty funny that Diggs re-signed on the same day that Dozier got traded for a whole lot of nothing. Two very differently run franchises. Spielman isn't perfect but the Vikings have a vision and have locked up nearly all of their core through 2020, while the Twins are doing Twins things.
I thought trading Dozier was the right call. He's a free agent in the offseason and they're nowhere near contending. The odds he re-signed seemed 50/50 at best, so might as well get something for him. The underwhelming return changes that thought only slightly.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What does Dozier have, "only" 16-17 HR's so far? Likely to hit about 25, at least this year, and plays MI? The guy is an offensive force, good in the field, and a mensch. What's not to like? That they actually have to pay him the going rate for a player of his stature?

The Twins reluctance to pay anyone who has shown them nothing but class, performance, and loyalty, while throwing money at one dimensional losers like Morrison, simply blows my mind. I think the Mauer contract has given them cold feet about committing to anyone...God, what a mistake that one has been. I'll vomit if i see him a Twins uniform after his deal is done.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
What does Dozier have, "only" 16-17 HR's so far? Likely to hit about 25, at least this year, and plays MI? The guy is an offensive force, good in the field, and a mensch. What's not to like? That they actually have to pay him the going rate for a player of his stature?

The Twins reluctance to pay anyone who has shown them nothing but class, performance, and loyalty, while throwing money at one dimensional losers like Morrison, simply blows my mind. I think the Mauer contract has given them cold feet about committing to anyone...God, what a mistake that one has been. I'll vomit if i see him a Twins uniform after his deal is done.
There's plenty to like about him. You can even add in that he won a gold glove last year. It's a two-way street though. Dozier's been on a miserable team for almost his whole career, and there are other (better) teams that will be willing to pay him more. Why stay if you're Dozier?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
wouldn't you get more for a rental whose "biggest selling point" is second half production? Aren't LA going to receive the benefits of that 2nd half production? I seem to remember Dozier being one of the few guys with a pulse in the playoff game against the Yankees last year.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I thought trading Dozier was the right call. He's a free agent in the offseason and they're nowhere near contending. The odds he re-signed seemed 50/50 at best, so might as well get something for him. The underwhelming return changes that thought only slightly.

I wasn't against trading Dozier (although I'm gonna miss him a whole lot), but the return we just got for the best power-hitting 2B in Twins history looks real disappointing.

Hope he goes all second-half Dozier and tears it up for LA.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I wasn't against trading Dozier (although I'm gonna miss him a whole lot), but the return we just got for the best power-hitting 2B in Twins history looks real disappointing.

Hope he goes all second-half Dozier and tears it up for LA.

Exactly. And on top of that, they got table scraps for him. All these prospects they traded 2 of their most talented players for are lackluster. Twins get fleeced more than the Wild do

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
wouldn't you get more for a rental whose "biggest selling point" is second half production? Aren't LA going to receive the benefits of that 2nd half production? I seem to remember Dozier being one of the few guys with a pulse in the playoff game against the Yankees last year.

Reactions: Rabid Husky

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, the Wild don't usually get fleeced. Dubnyk was a steal, as was Nino.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well dozier was my fav twin, the twins ship is sunk. who is the face of their franchise now? as for the wild getting fleeced , yes its happened plenty.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You also have to consider the Twins' top prospect is a second baseman (Gordon). Obviously there's no guarantee he's ever as valuable as Dozier, but it's something to keep in mind.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
As the Twins have found out, sadly, there's prospects, and there are MLB regulars. Right now they look like a AAAA team, at best, not a Major league team.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Treadwell making plays against Rhodes in tight coverage... and a QB willing to give him a chance in such a situation for a change?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Treadwell making plays against Rhodes in tight coverage... and a QB willing to give him a chance in such a situation for a change?
Who? :sarcasm:

That's nice, but I'll believe it when I see it in a game. The "third year breakout" has always been a thing for WRs, so I'm willing to give him another year to breakout, but after this year, he's done if he doesn't improve.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Who? :sarcasm:

That's nice, but I'll believe it when I see it in a game. The "third year breakout" has always been a thing for WRs, so I'm willing to give him another year to breakout, but after this year, he's done if he doesn't improve.
Absolutely agree, at the same time, he was getting open last season and Case hardly ever saw him when he did... though Case missed a lot of open receivers besides as well, which was why I thought Cousins was an upgrade in the first place.

I'm just going into the situation giving Treadwell one last clean slate to start the season, and like what I'm seeing so far. I know he's a talented kid, would be nice to see him break through with that talent. Could be a big redzone weapon.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Absolutely agree, at the same time, he was getting open last season and Case hardly ever saw him when he did... though Case missed a lot of open receivers besides as well, which was why I thought Cousins was an upgrade in the first place.

I'm just going into the situation giving Treadwell one last clean slate to start the season, and like what I'm seeing so far. I know he's a talented kid, would be nice to see him break through with that talent. Could be a big redzone weapon.
Imagine if he does become a solid receiver. Cousins, Cook, Rudolph, Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell. That will be tough to stop (disregarding offensive line issues).

Reactions: TaLoN

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Johan Santana went into the Twins Hall of Fame this weekend.

Damn shame that his career ended prematurely due to injuries, but I think it’s equally disappointing that he’ll likely get no Baseball HOF consideration. I get that he really only had about 5 years worth of prominence, but in those 5 years he was basically one of the top 3 pitchers in the league and was awarded as such. He wasn't some one season wonder. Santana was a monster when he was on his game and was about the only real hope we had of beating the Yankees in that era. The guy definitely deserved better.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The only true elite pitcher we've had in what, 20 years?

I mean Ervin had a dang good year last year, but was never a Johan-like talent obviously. Liriano had one great year, otherwise he kinda sucked.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Johan Santana went into the Twins Hall of Fame this weekend.

Damn shame that his career ended prematurely due to injuries, but I think it’s equally disappointing that he’ll likely get no Baseball HOF consideration. I get that he really only had about 5 years worth of prominence, but in those 5 years he was basically one of the top 3 pitchers in the league and was awarded as such. He want some one season wonder. Santana was a monster when he was on his game and was about the only real hope we had of beating the Yankees in that era. The guy definitely deserved better.
Dude got robbed of the 05 Cy Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad