OT: Non Hockey Olympic Thread

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/02/sochi-hotel-guests-complain-about-topless-portraits-of-putin-in-rooms.html#entry-more

With the Olympics underway, hundreds of visitors to Sochi are complaining that they checked into expensive hotel rooms only to find them decorated with seminude portraits of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The portraits, showing Mr. Putin shirtless and riding a variety of mammals, adorn the walls of virtually every hotel room constructed especially for the Olympics and were created at a cost of over two million dollars, Olympic officials said.

Tracy Klugian, who travelled from Ohio with his wife to attend the Sochi Games, said that he was appalled to find his hotel room dominated by a gigantic portrait of a shirtless Putin riding what appears to be a bear.

Said Mr. Klugian, “I did not travel thousands of miles just to be grossed out.”

For his part, President Putin has been dismissive of the complaints, today calling the hotel guests “babies who cry.”

“These people who are complaining about what is on their walls should be grateful,” he said. “At least they got one of the hotel rooms with walls.”

This can't be true, can it?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Any idea how a man without cable can watch the Olympics?
CBC stream is terrible for me.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think it is at on 6am.
You have to make the choice between sleep...
Or watching it.
:dunno:

6am...no. I have to fetch my phone at a friend's house, go to a dentist appointment at 2:30pm and somehow get 8 hours of sleep wedged inbetween there.

Besides, it's Sochi. They'll probably just smash a few Molotov cocktails, show flags of the (lesser) world, drink vodka, and talk about how those who are of different orientation cannot express themselves because propaganda (can you hear the irony?). Why Russia of all places? Our damn hockey players are going to get bedbug bites and ringworm if not radiation poisoning.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
6am...no. I have to fetch my phone at a friend's house, go to a dentist appointment at 2:30pm and somehow get 8 hours of sleep wedged inbetween there.

Besides, it's Sochi. They'll probably just smash a few Molotov cocktails, show flags of the (lesser) world, drink vodka, and talk about how those who are of different orientation cannot express themselves because propaganda (can you hear the irony?). Why Russia of all places? Our damn hockey players are going to get bedbug bites and ringworm if not radiation poisoning.

Sochi is closer to Turkey than Chernobyl...
So there is one less concern.
Everything else is probably true...
Plus Chechnya.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Watching the opening ceremony (with the Russian colors everywhere), I can only think about this

471-107689.png

Wetcoaster

My mom saw a photo of the hotel water and thought it was beer. I laughed.
One journalist tweeted tongue in cheek that he was impressed with the hot apple cider coming out of his hotel room faucet. :laugh:

So if you do a Google search while in Russia, are you liable for arrest? ;)

Google has waded into the row over gay rights in Russia with a provocative Google Doodle marking the start of the Sochi winter games.

The doodle, which depicts a variety of winter sports in rainbow colours above a statement from the Olympic charter, leaves no doubt about the company's feelings on Russia's treatment of gay people.​
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ts-in-russia-with-rainbow-doodle-9113834.html

fd7f7992-ac84-4269-9fd4-35e13b2a261d-620x369.jpeg

Betamax*

One journalist tweeted tongue in cheek that he was impressed with the hot apple cider coming out of his hotel room faucet. :laugh:

So if you do a Google search while in Russia, are you liable for arrest? ;)

Google has waded into the row over gay rights in Russia with a provocative Google Doodle marking the start of the Sochi winter games.

The doodle, which depicts a variety of winter sports in rainbow colours above a statement from the Olympic charter, leaves no doubt about the company's feelings on Russia's treatment of gay people.​
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ts-in-russia-with-rainbow-doodle-9113834.html

fd7f7992-ac84-4269-9fd4-35e13b2a261d-620x369.jpeg

I'm not really sure how "provocative" it is ... more like par for the course. Seems more like me, that it's the thing to do for western based corporate giant.

Betamax*

So, anyone else here think that defending Olympics Champion in Snowboard Cross, Maëlle Ricker is almost a dead ringer (~90%) vis-à-vis The Duchess of Cambridge or her sister for that matter?

mkj8xu.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad