Non-french named players that speak french in the NHL

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Gudbranson is from Orléans. Not Orleans. I work in Orléans and people here are mostly bilingual. The franco-ontarian community is huge in these parts.

As for Toews, he's as french as me. His mother insists that his name is not Jonathin, but Jonathan (french pronunciation). He speaks french. He's perfectly bilingual. In fact, I notice a small french accent when he speaks english.

Steve Penney, for me, was a revelation. The first time I saw him with the Habs, I was sure he was an anglo. The guy wasn't even close to being an anglo!

Alexandre Burrows is another one. I should have known since his name is Alexandre, not Alexander.

toshiro

Jun 14, 2005
Western Canuckland
Many parents out west place their children in French Immersion in school. My neices were able to go to university in France after high school. One would think there would be more hockey players go through French Immersion.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Whenever I start speaking French, the person serving me usually just starts speaking English. I'm good at vocabulary, but not so good with the accent lol.

LOL, yah, sometimes happens to me. I get annoyed. Sometimes I call to make an order for pizza and it's like:

Girl: *restaurant name*, bonjour
Me: Bonjour, j'aimerais faire un commande.
Girl: Sur quelle non?
Me: (saying my own name with an english accent)
Girl: Okay, what's the order?

I guess i'm used to saying my own name with that english accent I can't say it in french right. It usually ALWAYS gives me away. This same girl caught me at least 10 times and I have no clue who she is.:laugh: Sometimes I hear her voice and see if she'll catch me after I say my name, and I always end up facepalming cuz I never win.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
LOL, yah, sometimes happens to me. I get annoyed. Sometimes I call to make an order for pizza and it's like:

Girl: *restaurant name*, bonjour
Me: Bonjour, j'aimerais faire un commande.
Girl: Sur quelle non?

Me: (saying my own name with an english accent)
Girl: Okay, what's the order?

If thats your level of french and you have an english accent, are you really surprised?

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Che veux Chouer.

Hahaha that's one of the things i remember the most about streit, that and Che Choue mieux mieux.

Props to anyone trying to speak French when it's not your mother tongue it's a real pain to speak correctly hell more than 50 per cent of french canadians don't speak french well. Accent is normal everyone has got a accent.

Easily one of the toughest language to learn.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
If thats your level of french and you have an english accent, are you really surprised?

Maybe it’s the girl’s level? :sarcasm: As a matter of fact, it would be an improvement compared to the pathetic knowledge of French showed by young québécois these days… Thanks to the wonderful “réforme scolaireâ€! When you’re reduce to use a simplified orthography in order to help students pass their French exams, you’re in deep ****!!!

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

it shouldnt be "level related", a customer speaks to you in french (or any other language), you know french, you awnser him in french. SHould be that simple.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
Don't be too surprised by Gudbranson and Boyle, both grew up in Ottawa where most people speak both languages with at least some proficiency. Gudbranson, in particular, comes from a part of the city where more people speak French than don't and most as their first language.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Matthew Lombardi I guess.

Does Torrey Mitchell speak any french?

Corey Crawford?

Yes all the anglo-quebecers or quebecers with "foreign" names currently in the NHL speak french.

It seems pretty clear that Roberto Luongo, Mike Ribeiro and Alex Burrows got raised/educated in french.

The others probably have english as a first language but they speak decent french :
Matthew Lombardi
Torrey Mitchell
Jason Demers
*Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Angelo Esposito (Not in the NHL I know...)
Marco Scandella
Corey Crawford

*Vlasic has a french first name but his last name his croatian. I think it comes from his grand-parents or great parents. However, I saw him doing an interview at l'Anti-Chambre and he has a noticeable accent when he is speaking french. His french is really good though

There is also Anthony Stewart who is born in Lasalle, but I don't think he speaks french. He was probably raised in Ontario because his younger brother, Chris, is born in Toronto.

Also I don't remember if former NY Rangers goaltender, Dan Blackburn (born in Montreal), speaks french.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad