Non-french named players that speak french in the NHL

Canadiens93

May 6, 2010
Cammalleri doesn't speak French at all.

If you're referring to his twitter he gets a French friend to translate all his tweets.

Jeff Halpern, on the other hand, speaks French very well. Especially for an American who isn't even from a French family.

And as for Toews, he speaks it but he's not "completely fluent" like some people are suggesting. He has a pretty bad accent.

Being fluent has nothing to do with having an accent. If he can string a sentence together smooth and quickly and has a wide vocabulary then he is fluent in the language. If he can communicate and understand the language as well as speak it, he is fluent.

Sizemore24*

Matthew Lombardi I guess.

Does Torrey Mitchell speak any french?

Yeah, played baseball with him, He's mainly anglophone but he could speak french very well when he was 10 to 15...

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
And as for Toews, he speaks it but he's not "completely fluent" like some people are suggesting. He has a pretty bad accent.

Having an accent doesn't mean you're not fluent. Acadians from New Brunswick have a huge accent yet French is their first language. Toews is pretty fluent in French despite his accent.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Nov 12, 2005
ON
OT but I taught myself french and now watch rds and underrstand everything except for bruinet sometimes. I hate when I go to montreal and the locals get mad at me for my thick accent. I am fluent tabarnac so don't disrespect.

Reactions: Toene

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Whenever I start speaking French, the person serving me usually just starts speaking English. I'm good at vocabulary, but not so good with the accent lol.

Anyway, cool to see aa good amount of bilingual players in the NHL, as little as I care about the language debate

madvie

female habs fan
Jul 14, 2006
Montrealer in TO
OT but I taught myself french and now watch rds and underrstand everything except for bruinet sometimes. I hate when I go to montreal and the locals get mad at me for my thick accent. I am fluent tabarnac so don't disrespect.
I don't know what the appropriate etiquette is for this. If you hear someone speak French with an anglo accent, are you supposed to switch or not? I feel douchey either way.

Yeah, I feel like RDS and a lot of fans ignore French-Canadiens not from Quebec. From what I've heard from people from Sudbury and Thunderbay, it's normal to be bilingual there.

Le Gros Bill

Aug 3, 2005
Derek Roy.

(though the English pronunciation of his last name, compared to Roo-WAH in Quebec threw me off)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad