Music: Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class of 2017

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Which is a shame since there's also a Vocal Group HoF and a Musicians HoF where people like Tupac could easily be honored for their contributions...whatever they are:sarcasm: (I know I'll be slammed, I just don't care for most rap, and those few I do like because they were more innovative and less testosterone driven, well it just seems they aren't well respected by the community and tend to be flashes in the pan).

Kraftwerk and Neu! were cited in a bio of Depeche Mode as early influences on Vince Clarke, and then of course it was seeing Gary Numan make it big that convinced them they could make a popular band centered around synths. So I'm thinking, as much as I think DM deserves to be in as they're a heavy influence on electronic bands of the 90s and beyond, that their influences should probably get in first.

To the bolded, what a bizarre and ignorant statement.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
To the bolded, what a bizarre and ignorant statement.

It sounds like you showed your ignorance cards. Many, if not most of the biggest hiphop hits are saturated with testosterone. Lately, we have seen it taper off a bit but those hits of the 90s and 00s? Oy, it would be a fool's gambit to suggest that they were not testosterone-driven.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It sounds like you showed your ignorance cards. Many, if not most of the biggest hiphop hits are saturated with testosterone. Lately, we have seen it taper off a bit but those hits of the 90s and 00s? Oy, it would be a fool's gambit to suggest that they were not testosterone-driven.

My "ignorance cards"? Didn't know I could have more than one. :laugh:

And your reading comprehension could use some improvement. Regardless of whether or not hip hop artists or hip hop songs are "saturated with testosterone" (not exactly the way I'd phrase it, but whatever), it doesn't preclude those artists or those songs from being innovative. We can talk about lyrical content, ability, production etc as parts of a whole but the two are not mutually exclusive.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
My "ignorance cards"? Didn't know I could have more than one. :laugh:

And your reading comprehension could use some improvement. Regardless of whether or not hip hop artists or hip hop songs are "saturated with testosterone" (not exactly the way I'd phrase it, but whatever), it doesn't preclude those artists or those songs from being innovative. The two are not mutually exclusive.

And perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension as well. He said he likes his hiphop "not-testosterone-driven" AND "innovative". The stuff that is both testosterone-driven and innovative is NOT interesting to him and difficult to appreciate.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
And perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension as well. He said he likes his hiphop "not-testosterone-driven" AND "innovative". The stuff that is both testosterone-driven and innovative is NOT interesting to him and difficult to appreciate.

Actually, he said he likes innovative and "less testosterone driven".

If you read his post properly, you'd realize that the reason he doesn't like hip hop music as a genre is because he insinuates that the genre is largely "testosterone driven" (there's that ridiculous arbitrary term again) and that there's a lack of "innovation" (which is what he likes) which, while it is his opinion, is not factually backed up. I've already stated that whether it's through the lyrical ability of an artist, content or production, the genre can be and has been innovative in numerous ways. If one wants to discount those contributions because they're too "testosterone driven" in their eyes, it's their loss. Where he got the notion that artists that shake up the rap game aren't respected or critically acclaimed is beyond me.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Actually, he said he likes innovative and "less testosterone driven".

He was essentially correct, I have a knack for ironic understatement.:sarcasm:

I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of your commentary. Suffice to say, you're not worth my time with your "bizarre and ignorant" response.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is how I would break it down.

* Acadmus suggested he didn't like the cannon of what was considered respectable hip-hop. Instead, he preferred hip-hop that is innovative and not testosterone driven. "Less" was changed to "not" as agreed to by Acadmus.
* This implies that what is considered respectable hip-hop is testosterone driven, and it is also not innovative. This doesn't imply that the two are linked in any way.
* The implication that "what is considered respectable hip-hop is testosterone driven" is valid and accurate. I agree with Xelebe about that, and I disagree with Ser Woof that it's ridiculously arbitrary.
* The implication that "what is considered respectable hip-hop is not innovative" is wrong. Suggesting that this implication is bizarre and ignorant is appropriate. I agree with Ser Woof on that point. I disagree with Acadmus that it's a disqualifying point.
* If the implication "what is considered respectable hip-hop is not innovative" is bizarre and ignorant, then the whole statement is bizarre and ignorant, regardless of whether or not the other condition was valid. I agree with Ser Woof that Xelebe's reading comprehension was off there.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Since when was Tupac Rock and roll?

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad