Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Going with Depeche Mode, ELO, Pearl Jam, The Cars, and Journey on this one. Also think Steppenwolf, The Zombies, Yes, Kraftwerk, J. Geils and Jane's Addiction should be in, but it's only 5 a year. Then again, I guess Kraftwerk should go in before DM, since they were one of DM's influences.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
MC5, Kraftwerk, Joan Baez, Pearl Jam and I guess Depeche Mode. The first 3 should already be in IMO.

Bad Brains getting in would be amazing but I'm not holding my breath.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Depeche Mode, ELO, Pearl Jam, The Cars and Yes are my picks

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars

The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Going with Depeche Mode, ELO, Pearl Jam, The Cars, and Journey on this one. Also think Steppenwolf, The Zombies, Yes, Kraftwerk, J. Geils and Jane's Addiction should be in, but it's only 5 a year. Then again, I guess Kraftwerk should go in before DM, since they were one of DM's influences.

bolded my predictions

but sadly--I got a look behind the curtain on how the decisions are made and the rolling stone people that make up part of the group that makes the decision--they will put Janet Jackson in--is my guess

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
For those picking Bad Brains, I really have to say I don't get that selection. I hadn't even heard of them so I decided to read up on who they are...they were a follower, not a leader, in the punk and reggae movements. They're credited with being "a" pioneer of hardcore punk, but that's a pretty niche area. They've had no hit songs, have influenced only a very limited number of artists, and to be honest the notion they'd possibly get in before The Cars when Ric Ocasek produced their second album...well, that makes no sense. They've also had mulitple name changes, sound changes, and lineup changes...I'd guess that's part of why Yes is on this list for the umpteenth time. Only Yes was more popular and had farther reaching influence on later acts.

But hey, at least they play rock music...more than we can say for Janet Jackson, Chaka Khan, Joe Tex or Tupac. Even though they're still not rock, you can still make an argument for being tangentially related to rock for Chic and Joan Baez, but I guess Bad Brains is moreso than they are too...though again, who are they again? Just a wierd, wierd pick.

EDIT: Well, I guess to some extent they influenced some of the bigger rock acts of the 90s - Beastie Boys, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains amongst them...but I'd guess they were one of many influences on those bands.

JA

ELO is on the ballot! Fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
As as massive Pearl Jam fan who wants to see the ceremony, selfishly, I want 4 other bands to get in that have small followings so it's easier to get tickets. :)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Pearl Jam is the only sure thing to get in. Who knows how the rest of the choices will go. Nobody else on that list sticks out as an obvious good or bad choice.

Journey is an interesting case. They were very much the Nickelback of the 80s: a rock band who sold a lot of records, but were absolutely loathed by anyone outside of their fan base, as well as the critics, for being the example of generic corporate rock. . But over 30 years later, nostalgia for their era might be in their favour.

Who I think should get in
Depeche Mode
MC5
Pearl Jam
Yes
Zombies

Who I think will get in
E.L.O.
Janet Jackson
Pearl Jam
Cars
Tupac

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
For those picking Bad Brains, I really have to say I don't get that selection. I hadn't even heard of them so I decided to read up on who they are...they were a follower, not a leader, in the punk and reggae movements. They're credited with being "a" pioneer of hardcore punk, but that's a pretty niche area. They've had no hit songs, have influenced only a very limited number of artists, and to be honest the notion they'd possibly get in before The Cars when Ric Ocasek produced their second album...well, that makes no sense. They've also had mulitple name changes, sound changes, and lineup changes...I'd guess that's part of why Yes is on this list for the umpteenth time. Only Yes was more popular and had farther reaching influence on later acts.

Wait what? Were there a lot of punk/reggae fusion bands before Bad Brains that they ripped off? :laugh:

They were definitely original and very influential but, as you said, on a very niche genre, and with a lot of bands who didn't make it very far (and others who did, as spintheblackcircle pointed out). I just think it's funny to see them on the list at all. It would be like seeing the Melvins on there. Both certainly influental on "rock music" (or its underbelly at least) but probably not "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" worthy.

Though, as you also pointed out, with Janet Jackson and the likes on the list, nobody really has any idea what the HoF considers R&RHOF worthy anyway.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

My picks are in bold. Of those, I think only The Cars have a chance. Likely it will be Janet Jackson, Pearl Jam, Journey, Yes, and ELO.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

still confused as to what constitutes rock.
Joan Baez isn't rock. tupac isn't rock. they didn't even dip a toe into rock.

J. giles band is the Bernie Federko of rock music.
had a good solid career, but nothing that shouts one of the best ever.
same with Jane's addiction. made some good music, but hall of fame worthy? uh no.

MC5 should have been in long ago. they were a base of what all good hard rock became.

If I had a vote I would have only two shoo-ins
MC5
Pearl Jam

then maybe I would consider Steppenwolf and ELO.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's time for the 2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee evaluation.

Bad Brains - No. I'm sure punk fans will freak out about this, but punk is so difficult to rate for the Hall of Fame. Even at its peak, it was a very niche genre. If you've never had a hit song or an album with any meaningful sales, can you really be in a Hall of Fame? They may be a highly influential punk band, but the only punk bands we'll see get in are crossover bands. It's no different from metal bands.

The Cars – No. Had a couple of good songs, but they're more of an 80s punchline than a revered act.

Chic - No. Never heard of them.

Depeche Mode - Yes. They replace The Smiths as this year's excessively English nominee, but they also had a longer and more successful run than the Smiths.

ELO - No. Easy listening prog rock? No thanks.

The J. Giles Band - No. A one hit wonder where the one hit was a song about a guy's girlfriend being a centerfold model?

Jane's Addiction - Yes. The kings of 90s Alt Rock.

Janet Jackson – Yes. I’m not a fan of putting the pop/dance act in, but she was as big as they come for a pretty good run. She owned MTV for a few years. She also did an amazing job of distinguishing herself from her siblings.

Joe Tex - No. Never heard of him.

Joan Baez - No. Would there be a more boring induction performance? Let this folk stuff find another hall of fame.

Journey - Yes. I'm not a fan, but they were a hit machine.

Kraftwerk - No, but you could talk me into them. They certainly meet the influence requirement. Generally, I'm going to say yes to a band who is credited with inventing a genre. In some ways they meet the fame requirement because everyone knows the Kraftwerk name, but where I struggle with them is they are a band everyone has heard of but no one listens to. When is the last time anyone sat down to listen to Kraftwerk?

Chaka Khan – No. Disco isn’t rock.

MC5 - No. This is part of the annual appeal to the Baby Boomer donors by nominating some third tier spare bands from the 60s.

Pearl Jam - Yes. The easiest yes of these nominees, which isn't saying much since half of them were undeservingly nominated last year.

Steppenwolf - No. Sure, they have a couple of hits still rotating on classic rock stations, but if they haven't been able to get in by now, they clearly don't deserve it. The Rock Hall doesn't need to be polluted with every band to have a hit record in the 60s. Have some standards. Letting them in would be like putting Alex Tanguay in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Tupac - Yes. I think he's overrated, but I can't argue with his popularity or influence. Dying young does wonders for Rock Hall nominees.

Yes – No. They can consult Steve Miller about the easy listening hall of fame’s application requirements. What's that? Steve Miller got in last year? Well, all I can say is I hope the Hall doesn't repeat that same mistake.

The Zombies - No. They aren't even the best band with the word "zombie" in their name.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Picks in bold.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't know what the criteria for admittance are, but Kraftwerk should already be in. There are very few genres of music (maybe none?) where their influence can't be heard, they made some cool techhnological advancements, and they wrote really good albums.

I guess the argument against them is that they didn't sell much?

shadow5150

Sep 10, 2008
Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Bold who I think will get in.
I don't understand the Yes hate. Chris Squire is a master bass player. One of the best you will ever hear. I would put them in for his playing alone.
Personally, I don't understand many of these bands listed here:
Chaka Khan
Chic
MC5
Steppenwolf
The Zombies

These bands/artists are one or two hit wonders. You can even throw Jane's Addiction to that list. If they are including rap artists why not country too? Garth Brooks is more rock than Tupac. I don't want either in the rock hall of fame.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I would say don't quit your day job, but from your picks it seems you may actually be a member of the committee.

This got me confused

Chaka Khan – No. Disco isn’t rock.

Tupac - Yes. I think he's overrated, but I can't argue with his popularity or influence. Dying young does wonders for Rock Hall nominees.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Personally, I don't understand many of these bands listed here:
Chaka Khan
Chic
MC5
Steppenwolf
The Zombies

These bands/artists are one or two hit wonders. You can even throw Jane's Addiction to that list. If they are including rap artists why not country too? Garth Brooks is more rock than Tupac. I don't want either in the rock hall of fame.

MC5 isn't on the list because of hits or popularity but because of their huge influence on later artists. a remarkable band.

I just don't understand a rock hall of fame having other genres of music, other than wanting as many people with $$$ to go visit the hall.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I would say don't quit your day job, but from your picks it seems you may actually be a member of the committee.

What you do is place yourself in the shoes of a 64 year old white guy from New York. A guy who thinks everything released after 1972 is terrible. He hates every new nominee, but he's going to grudgingly give in where the right mix of fame and influence allows it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad