The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I went to a music conference here in London where one former member of the committee openly said(I forget his name but I think he is the root of all the information behind the scenes) that the whole process is not transparent and that there are (at the time) two people closely associated with Rolling Stone Magazine who more or less run the show. If an artist was not liked by RS magazine there were not going to get in. The Moody Blues came up in the discussion because he said the moodies had a very large following by critics and musicians in how they moved the music they did and brought in Orchestras on a regular basis long before others. The problem was that the Moodies never caused any trouble--the went about their business, He said the people deciding who gets nominated and who gets in(again there whole process is not transparent) did not like that fact in an era of hell raisers and other stuff--these guys smoked pot, drank and did their thing, without getting into the London Rags(gossip newspapers of London/UK) and when it was pointed out to the RS people that what the artists did when they were not on the stage should not be considered--they laughed at that idea

Its pretty common knowledge that Jann Wenner pretty much picked his favorites and if he did not like you, then the band did not get in. Supposedly he is less involved now and prefers to spend time with his new significant other, he sold off 49% of the company in the last year. Last year was the first he was not as involved and there was a landslide of letting in the deserved bands that he did not care for like Chicago and Deep Purple.

Ive said it a million times before, this should not be called the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. It should be called Rolling Stone magazine's Hall of Fame because that is virtually what it is, it mostly Jann Werner's personal choices.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur Among 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Don’t stop believin’: Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Electric Light Orchestra, Yes and Joan Baez are the 2017 performer inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Veteran musician and producer Nile Rodgers will receive the hall’s Award for Musical Excellence. The Cleveland-based hall’s 32nd annual induction ceremony is set for April 7 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. HBO will air a special derived from the ceremony later in the year.

The 2017 selections were chosen by more than 900 music industry voters in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. Artists become eligible for the hall 25 years after the release of their first recordings. The pool of 19 nominees for 2017 induction included such notables as Depeche Mode, Jane’s Addiction, Bad Brains, Janet Jackson and the Cars.

The five artists who receive the most votes make the cut for induction. In addition to the industry insiders, the hall solicits online votes by the public that are factored into the overall tally. On the “fan’s ballot,” the top vote-getters were Journey, Electric Light Orchestra, Yes and Pearl Jam. The fifth highest-polling act among the public, the Cars, was not selected this time around.

left hand path

Oct 29, 2016
^the hof has never been strictly rock and roll

kraftwerk are more important than any artist in the hof but i can't say i'm surprised they haven't been inducted yet

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Since Jann Wenner has gotten less involved the last 2 years it has opened the floodgate for deserving bands that were held back simply because he did not like them. That shows what a joke this hall is, but still it is nice to see these bands get the recognition they deserve.

Next up should be the metal / harder bands like Maiden, Priest etc.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
^the hof has never been strictly rock and roll

kraftwerk are more important than any artist in the hof but i can't say i'm surprised they haven't been inducted yet

Which is a shame since there's also a Vocal Group HoF and a Musicians HoF where people like Tupac could easily be honored for their contributions...whatever they are:sarcasm: (I know I'll be slammed, I just don't care for most rap, and those few I do like because they were more innovative and less testosterone driven, well it just seems they aren't well respected by the community and tend to be flashes in the pan).

Kraftwerk and Neu! were cited in a bio of Depeche Mode as early influences on Vince Clarke, and then of course it was seeing Gary Numan make it big that convinced them they could make a popular band centered around synths. So I'm thinking, as much as I think DM deserves to be in as they're a heavy influence on electronic bands of the 90s and beyond, that their influences should probably get in first.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Which is a shame since there's also a Vocal Group HoF and a Musicians HoF where people like Tupac could easily be honored for their contributions...whatever they are:sarcasm: (I know I'll be slammed, I just don't care for most rap, and those few I do like because they were more innovative and less testosterone driven, well it just seems they aren't well respected by the community and tend to be flashes in the pan).

This is really nothing but the Rolling Stone Magazine Hall of Fame so they have been slammed for lack of diversity so that's why they are including the rap acts.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur Among 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Don’t stop believin’: Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Electric Light Orchestra, Yes and Joan Baez are the 2017 performer inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Journey had an era prior to Steve Perry and corporate rock. They also have Neal Schon. They were much bigger than the Moody Blues ever were. They should get in eventually, if not this year.

My Choices:

Electric Light Orchestra
The Cars
Journey
Pearl Jam
Yes

My Guesses:

Electric Light Orchestra
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Pearl Jam
The Cars

Not too shabby :)

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Rockers angry over Hall of Fame snubs

Artists ignored by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are angry over the way the organization is being run and say the latest list of inductees proves the management is biased and snobby.

It was announced Tuesday that Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez will all join the class of 2017.

But the Hall continues to snub Bon Jovi, INXS, Peter Tosh, the Moody Blues, Devo, Blue Öyster Cult and Jethro Tull.

“Artists and managers are going crazy over their acts not getting in,” one industry insider told me. “It’s outrageous who gets nominated and who gets ignored.”

They blame Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner — a member of the Hall who seized control when Ahmet Ertegun died — and Wenner’s handpicked successor to Ertegun, Bruce Springsteen’s manager Jon Landau.

When Ertegun was chairman, the nominating committee included Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Etta James and Rod Stewart. Now the biggest names on the committee are Robbie Robertson, Questlove and Steven Van Zandt.

Rock publicist Dorothy Carvello, Ertegun’s former assistant, told me, “The voting is rigged.”

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Since when was Tupac Rock and roll?

Did you forget his collab with Elton John????????!!!!!!! :sarcasm: :naughty:

At this point they should rebrand it as the music HOF, I don't know why this hasn't been done yet or why nobody has just made one.

Nice to see that Pearl Jam will finally be inducted. Great year for die-hard Cubs fan Eddie Vedder.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Did you forget his collab with Elton John????????!!!!!!! :sarcasm: :naughty:

At this point they should rebrand it as the music HOF, I don't know why this hasn't been done yet or why nobody has just made one.

Nice to see that Pearl Jam will finally be inducted. Great year for die-hard Cubs fan Eddie Vedder.

I think "Rock and Roll" is just a way to keep it to what is considered modern and mainstream music. So that they don't have to waste time and effort going back to the dawn of music and induct hundreds of composers over the last 1000 years and stick to within the last 100.

I suppose calling it the "Pop Music" HoF would be more accurate, but that has a negative connotation for a lot of people.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Umm...no. Even freakin' Joan Baez is more rock. At least she plays guitar.:shakehead As for Yes...that comment belongs in the controversial opinions thread;)

Rock is the music young people listen to. It's the music their parents hate. Joan Baez's lame folk music was not that.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Judging whether or not something is rock music based on whether or not it is disliked by parents is a very flawed way to measure something. Parents these days like things like Zeppelin and Hendrix. If something new comes out that's Zeppelin or Hendrix-esque, that's still rock. If their children like Dub-Step, that's not all of a sudden considered rock music.

If you want to argue that rock music is anything that conveys an energetic playfulness and rebels against uptight stuffiness, that would make more sense. Not sure all rock bands fit under that definition either, though-- like Pink Floyd for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00