Music: Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class of 2017

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought everyone would at least know Jeremy

If you had asked me "true or false: Jeremy is a song by Pearl Jam", I would have gotten that right, but if you had asked me "Name a song by Pearl Jam" I would draw a blank. And even though I know it now, I'll probably forget it in a month.

I have no recollection of what it sounds like, though.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
???? Grand Funk was founded in 1969, while Jefferson Airplane was founded in 1965 and had their best known hits two years before GFR even existed. Meanwhile, to say Jefferson Airplane paved the way for Jefferson Starship is silly...Jefferson Starship was founded by half the members of Jefferson Airplane when that band broke up.

Sorry, my last comment really belongs in the "Favorite Simpsons Moments" thread. It's Homer's theory of the evolution of transportation-themed rock bands. (He believed the Alan Parsons Project to be some sort of hovercraft.)

Serious question: Does anyone actually care about this? It's a peculiarly American thing to try and formally elevate musicians beyond their peers in such a way and I've never understood the fuss it generates.

That's a good question! I don't know why I should care...I know I stopped taking it seriously once the Bee Gees got in. I agree with Johnny Rotten…the Rock Hall is a piss stain.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just named like ten of them, guys.

Who remembers song titles that they briefly glance over, though? If you asked me to rewrite your list from memory, it would look like:

Favorite Pearl Jam songs:
1. Vacuum Cleaner
2. Dog
3. Cat
4. Pearl Jam
5. Sidewalk
6. Tree
7. Mailbox
8. Mailbox (Reprise)
9. Sandwich
10. Pearl Jam Pt. 2

:p:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Who remembers song titles that they briefly glance over, though? If you asked me to rewrite your list from memory, it would look like:

Favorite Pearl Jam songs:
1. Vacuum Cleaner
2. Dog
3. Cat
4. Pearl Jam
5. Sidewalk
6. Tree
7. Mailbox
8. Mailbox (Reprise)
9. Sandwich
10. Pearl Jam Pt. 2

:p:
So Close, it's "Wasted Reprise" though.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Serious question: Does anyone actually care about this? It's a peculiarly American thing to try and formally elevate musicians beyond their peers in such a way and I've never understood the fuss it generates.

I don't GAS, but I do get happy for a bit when I hear one of my fav's makes it. Then I move on and within a few months I probably forget whether they're in or not.

I also enjoy arguing over who should and shouldn't be in while I'm arguing about it. Sometimes I have fun telling a friend how stupid someone of HF is for thinking so and so should be in, but that feeling is fleeting as well and I move on. Maybe we start talking Sharks and it makes me happy when both our favorite players are the same, but then I get mad when they say Pavelski is overhyped, but I get happy again when we both agree Marleau should retire.

Does that answer your questions :sarcasm:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Regarding The Moody Blues….

There was a story that leaked years ago, when the whole nomination process was behind closed doors and not much info was made available to the public. A large fan petition supporting their induction was submitted and apparently one committee member was laughed at for suggesting that they should at least discuss them. They were never popular with critics and that usually hurts, unless there's Madonna-like popularity to compensate.

That's why I'm not holding my breath for Journey. Grand Funk Railroad were never inducted either, and they paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, who paved the way for Jefferson Starship, who set the stage for the Alan Parsons Project…

I went to a music conference here in London where one former member of the committee openly said(I forget his name but I think he is the root of all the information behind the scenes) that the whole process is not transparent and that there are (at the time) two people closely associated with Rolling Stone Magazine who more or less run the show. If an artist was not liked by RS magazine there were not going to get in. The Moody Blues came up in the discussion because he said the moodies had a very large following by critics and musicians in how they moved the music they did and brought in Orchestras on a regular basis long before others. The problem was that the Moodies never caused any trouble--the went about their business, He said the people deciding who gets nominated and who gets in(again there whole process is not transparent) did not like that fact in an era of hell raisers and other stuff--these guys smoked pot, drank and did their thing, without getting into the London Rags(gossip newspapers of London/UK) and when it was pointed out to the RS people that what the artists did when they were not on the stage should not be considered--they laughed at that idea

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't GAS, but I do get happy for a bit when I hear one of my fav's makes it. Then I move on and within a few months I probably forget whether they're in or not.

I also enjoy arguing over who should and shouldn't be in while I'm arguing about it. Sometimes I have fun telling a friend how stupid someone of HF is for thinking so and so should be in, but that feeling is fleeting as well and I move on. Maybe we start talking Sharks and it makes me happy when both our favorite players are the same, but then I get mad when they say Pavelski is overhyped, but I get happy again when we both agree Marleau should retire.

Does that answer your questions :sarcasm:

Not really. I still don't see the point.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
No a fan of how things are sorted by the RRHF. You just have to look how long it took ACDC and Rush to get in. Nearly every hard rock band for the last 30 years wanted to be ACDC and all bands the write their own stuff try to do what Rush has done in different styles and what not.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not really. I still don't see the point.

Here's a more naked/psychological stream-of-conscious answer for what I think fuels it:

Most bands have a ****-tonne of weaknesses and don't feel quite right, and only an outlier select few manage to cut right through all the bull**** and feel like crystalized perfection. For all things good and right, justice must be served!!! The people must know! Subjectivity be damned! ..... and if all of that isn't acknowledged to its absolute fullest, then we're all doomed and the universe wins! Don't you see?

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Here's a more naked/psychological stream-of-conscious answer for what I think fuels it: Most bands have a ****-tonne of weaknesses and don't feel quite right, and only an outlier select few manage to cut right through all the bull**** and feel like crystalized perfection. For all things good and right, justice must be served!!! The people must know! Subjectivity be damned! ..... and if all of that isn't acknowledged to its absolute fullest, then we're all doomed and the universe wins! Don't you see?
:shakehead We're part of the universe so that means we win. ;) I'd have no problem with any of Bad Brains, MC5, The Cars, Pearl Jam, Steppenwolf, and The Zombies getting in.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
:shakehead We're part of the universe so that means we win. ;) I'd have no problem with any of Bad Brains, MC5, The Cars, Pearl Jam, Steppenwolf, and The Zombies getting in.
No offense, but that sounds like some ****ing commie gobbledygook to me!

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How the hell is Yes not in the HOF yet?

They should be in for The Yes Album alone.

Pearl Jam is obviously a lock.

Their album Ten is only rivaled by Nevermind and Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness as the best album of the 90s.

Vs. and Vitalogy were both great albums as well.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
How the hell is Yes not in the HOF yet?

They should be in for The Yes Album alone.

Pearl Jam is obviously a lock.

Their album Ten is only rivaled by Nevermind and Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness as the best album of the 90s.

Vs. and Vitalogy were both great albums as well.

I saw Yes in 2012. They had a new singer and the guy sounded exactly like JA. I was very hesitant to see them without JA and with no Wakeman (although they did have Downes on keys). But they were awesome. Played The Yes Album and Close To The Edge back to back in their entirety and it was epic. Glad I got to see them before Squire's death.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Loved Pearl Jam thru years until recent stuff

My favorite PJ song would be

It's been 7 or 8 years since I saw them in Vancouver. Ben Harper was opening. They brought him out just for this song, and this by far is the song I remember when I think of that concert. Just so freaking haunting and beautiful.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Sorry, my last comment really belongs in the "Favorite Simpsons Moments" thread. It's Homer's theory of the evolution of transportation-themed rock bands. (He believed the Alan Parsons Project to be some sort of hovercraft.)
:laugh:sorry to tread on your joke, then. I was never an expert in The Simpsons - liked it well enough, just not passionately.;)

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The thing is with the Moody Blues is they basically invented an entire genre. There's no Rush, ELO, ELP, Supertramp, or Pink Floyd (at least not in the form people recognize them) if the Moody Blues didn't pave the way for them.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
The thing is with the Moody Blues is they basically invented an entire genre. There's no Rush, ELO, ELP, Supertramp, or Pink Floyd (at least not in the form people recognize them) if the Moody Blues didn't pave the way for them.
Maybe ELO - they were actually formed to pick up where The Beatles left off, according to them, so I don't know if the Moody Blues had too much influence there.:huh:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Maybe ELO - they were actually formed to pick up where The Beatles left off, according to them, so I don't know if the Moody Blues had too much influence there.:huh:

A lot of their stuff is clearly Beatles influenced, however they quickly moved (haha) into prog territory. Look at things like 10538 Overture and their cover of Roll Over Beethoven and that's just something that they couldn't have done if the Moody Blues hadn't paved the way first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad