Player Discussion Nolan Vesey

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I have no factual evidence to support this but I'm pretty sure the Leafs drafted him in attempt to sign his brother a few years back.

Vesey's dad is/was a scout for the Leafs (not sure if he still is).

North

Jun 25, 2009
Maple Leafs acquire conditional draft pick from Oilers - Sportsnet.ca

Didn't put up very good college numbers. Seem's more of an AHL move. Has someone seen him good?

Nolan Vesey at eliteprospects.com

He didn't put up great numbers in college but somehow managed to be third in scoring the last two seasons.

Maine doesn't seem very good.

Not really sure what to make of this move. I tried to find some scouting reports and nothing really sounded all that fantastic about him.

Edited to add:

Reactions: Aerrol

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I have no factual evidence to support this but I'm pretty sure the Leafs drafted him in attempt to sign his brother a few years back.

I remember hearing something along those lines too.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So it's a conditional 7th round pick in 2020? That's about as minor a draft pick as you can get.

Just by looking at boxcars it suggests that he had a decent rookie year in college, but never progressed past that. I guess it beats using that pick on another Skyler Brind'Amour or whatever, at least this guy will be able to play somewhere in the minors.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I remember hearing something along those lines too.
I can't say I've ever seen the kid play. Could be decent.

I do know that the Leafs had absolutely no room for him though (Leafs have made lots of draft picks from the past few years as a result of being a trash team).

North

Jun 25, 2009
Why do we keep wasting contract spots on guys like Vesey and Larkin? Or is this just a super long-term plan in order to sign their brothers as free agents or something?

It seems like they've decided on filling out the AHL roster with former college players rather than AHL lifers which seems like an interesting choice but shouldn't they be college players that actually did something in college?

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010

He was drafted in 2014 so that seems super unlikely.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
It seems like they've decided on filling out the AHL roster with former college players rather than AHL lifers which seems like an interesting choice but shouldn't they be college players that actually did something in college?

Except he did some thing well to get drafted.Let wait and see how this turns out he only 23?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Don't care about giving up a 7th rounder. But I don't really get this teams obsession with signing mediocre college players. This is not the type of signing that is "worst case scenario we get a good AHLer" it's the type of signing that is best case scenario we get a good AHLer.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Don't care about giving up a 7th rounder. But I don't really get this teams obsession with signing mediocre college players. This is not the type of signing that is "worst case scenario we get a good AHLer" it's the type of signing that is best case scenario we get a good AHLer.
It not an obession ,you want to get player to play so your own prospects can develop easily

all team do it all the time.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They need to fill out their AHL roster, would you rather they sign AHL vets again like they have in the past?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They need to fill out their AHL roster, would you rather they sign AHL vets again like they have in the past?
Honestly yes I'd rather have a capable AHL vet than a no future prospect who is more likely to flop in the AHL than he is to ever get remotely close to the NHL.

Reactions: Aerrol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The “AHL vet” way hasn’t worked in past
Not sure why it would now...
Vesey at least has potential

What potential?

Find me some comparables who put up such mediocre numbers as a senior in college that amounted to anything in the NHL.

Just because a player is young doesn't mean they have potential as an NHLer.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What potential?

Find me some comparables who put up such mediocre numbers as a senior in college that amounted to anything in the NHL.

There probably are some, but honestly, who cares? It's a nothing trade.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What potential?

He has potential cause he hasn’t never played professionally before and he was drafted by an NHL team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad