Player Discussion Nolan Vesey

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He has potential cause he hasn’t never played professionally before and he was drafted by an NHL team

I'll wait for a list.

Really an interesting argument you have there tbh. So basically any player that is drafted by an NHL team deserves a contract. What they do in junior or college doesn't matter. We should be signing dozens of players a summer if that is the argument.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Again, why are people upset about this?

His chances of becoming and NHLer are probably about the same as that 7th rounder that we gave up. But this team sorely needs depth at all levels. We got a guy in his 20s who can play in the AHL next season and help our growth down there, vs a kid whos currently 15 or 16 and may never even sign a contract with us after we would have drafted him in 2 years.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Again, why are people upset about this?

His chances of becoming and NHLer are probably about the same as that 7th rounder that we gave up. But this team sorely needs depth at all levels. We got a guy in his 20s who can play in the AHL next season and help our growth down there, vs a kid whos currently 15 or 16 and may never even sign a contract with us after we would have drafted him in 2 years.
The bold is far from a sure thing. At least in terms of a guy who can actually contribute down there.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
What potential?

Find me some comparables who put up such mediocre numbers as a senior in college that amounted to anything in the NHL.

Just because a player is young doesn't mean they have potential as an NHLer.
Here's what I put together going back to the 2013-14 season:

Craig Adams (951 NHL games)
Connor Brickley (currently on FLA)
Adam Burish (378)
Paul Carey (NYR)
Chris Conner (180)
Jake Dowell (157)
Patrick Dwyer (416)
Ryan Garbutt (305)
Garnet Hathaway (CGY)
Colin McDonald (148)
David Moss (501)
Chris Porter (234)
Carter Rowney (PIT)
Tim Schaller (BOS)
Conor Sheary (PIT)
David Steckel (425)
Brandon Tanev (WPG)
Joe Vitale (234)

HockeyDB banned my IP address because I looked up too many players.
m9lsOtD.gif

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What potential?

Find me some comparables who put up such mediocre numbers as a senior in college that amounted to anything in the NHL.

Well he can’t have less potential than Brian Ferlin.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Maybe this is part of a better deal for the Oilers later ... maybe this greases the wheels for a later Leivo trade for a minor piece going to the Leafs.

Reactions: 780il

North

Jun 25, 2009
Except he did some thing well to get drafted.Let wait and see how this turns out he only 23?

I haven't written him off. It just seems like an odd move to me.

Granted I don't know much about him but what I found didn't seem like a team would be tripping over themselves to sign him.

Now giving up a 7th in 2020 is no big deal so I'm not mad about this deal. Just confused.

We'll see how it turns out. Maybe it works out maybe it doesn't.

Apparently he played for one of the Oilers scouts in the past so that's probably why he was on the radar.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton

Adam Burish (378)
Paul Carey (NYR)
Chris Conner (180)
Jake Dowell (157)
Patrick Dwyer (416)
Ryan Garbutt (305)
Garnet Hathaway (CGY)
Colin McDonald (148)
David Moss (501)
Chris Porter (234)
Carter Rowney (PIT)
Tim Schaller (BOS)
Conor Sheary (PIT)
David Steckel (425)
Brandon Tanev (WPG)
Joe Vitali (234)

m9lsOtD.gif

Great list. Thanks for doing the legwork there. I'm interested to see what Spawns response to this is.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this is one of those moves where the most intriguing thing is that it is starting a dialogue between the teams. It is very common for minor moves to lead to bigger ones down the line

Reactions: 780il

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'll wait for a list.

Really an interesting argument you have there tbh. So basically any player that is drafted by an NHL team deserves a contract. What they do in junior or college doesn't matter. We should be signing dozens of players a summer if that is the argument.
that's not my argument at all

I'm saying its better to play a young prospect that the team believes in rather than it is to waste a roster spot on an AHL vet that has no future in the system

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If you waited until August 15th, you could have had him for free. He's was probably our worst prospect, and definitely was one of the worst. We let better guys in Middleton and Mattinen go for nothing.

As for a scouting report, the best you can hope for out of him is a 4th line grinder. He's got some size and he's willing to use it. He's got some offensive skills and fore-checking ability but at best he's the type of guy you can find for almost league minimum in FA every year. Like he's not an atrocious player and I advocated using an AHL deal on him, but he was a long shot to make our AHL team next year and should be in the ECHL on any team that has good wing depth.

It's only a 7th, but I was shocked we even got that out of him.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
If you waited until August 15th, you could have had him for free. He's was probably our worst prospect, and definitely was one of the worst. We let better guys in Middleton and Mattinen go for nothing.

As for a scouting report, the best you can hope for out of him is a 4th line grinder. He's got some size and he's willing to use it. He's got some offensive skills and fore-checking ability but at best he's the type of guy you can find for almost league minimum in FA every year. Like he's not an atrocious player and I advocated using an AHL deal on him, but he was a long shot to make our AHL team next year and should be in the ECHL on any team that has good wing depth.

It's only a 7th, but I was shocked we even got that out of him.
Leafs fan, yup.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Adam Burish (378)
Paul Carey (NYR)
Chris Conner (180)
Jake Dowell (157)
Patrick Dwyer (416)
Ryan Garbutt (305)
Garnet Hathaway (CGY)
Colin McDonald (148)
David Moss (501)
Chris Porter (234)
Carter Rowney (PIT)
Tim Schaller (BOS)
Conor Sheary (PIT)
David Steckel (425)
Brandon Tanev (WPG)
Joe Vitale (234)

m9lsOtD.gif

Hey at least you did the research. Props for that.

But all I see there is a list of guys who were for the most part 4th liners who flamed out of the league sooner rather than later this is considered potential? There's a few of them who found a niche as something more than that and Connor Sheary stands out as someone who actually has done something in the NHL.

But hey, just like any of these scrubs the Oilers brass loves to sign (Patrick Russel is another we just gave a new contract too) I'll be happy to be proven wrong. If he even turns into a scrub 4th liner I guess thats something. Although part of me is pretty sure I'll never type Nolan Vesey's name again.

Leafs fan, yup.
This is what Leaf fans were saying about him last September

2017 Leafs Top Prospects: #37 Nolan Vesey

Qualitatively, Vesey is a pretty uneventful player. He’s not particularly big or small, he’s a capable skater but not to the point of bragging rights, and talk of his two-way game seems to be closer to “not great or awful at anything” more than it is a preface before he starts flanking Nazem Kadri on the shutdown line.
The Upcoming Year

This is going to be a do-or-die season for Vesey if he plans on making his way into the NHL. There are players that have had 0.6 point/game seasons in the NCAA and become regulars in this league, but those are few and far between when you start getting into senior years. He’ll definitely play it out, though, and will likely take on a leadership role with the team.
Long-Term Outlook

Even with his father still being in the Leafs organization, I can’t see anything short of a miraculous spike season leading the team to give him an entry-level deal. He doesn’t score enough to be on many NHL radars, and he’s not spectacular enough at anything to find himself a niche role. Perhaps he gets himself an AHL contract to prove himself in a third or fourth line setting in 2018/19, but I’m not even sure the Marlies would be the team that gives him that. I’d probably consider him out of sight, out of mind at this point.

It's not like this trade changed their view on him.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Hey at least you did the research. Props for that.

But all I see there is a list of guys who were for the most part 4th liners who flamed out of the league sooner rather than later this is considered potential? There's a few of them who found a niche as something more than that and Connor Sheary stands out as someone who actually has done something in the NHL.

But hey, just like any of these scrubs the Oilers brass loves to sign (Patrick Russel is another we just gave a new contract too) I'll be happy to be proven wrong. If he even turns into a scrub 4th liner I guess thats something. Although part of me is pretty sure I'll never type Nolan Vesey's name again.

This is what Leaf fans were saying about him last September

2017 Leafs Top Prospects: #37 Nolan Vesey

It's not like this trade changed their view on him.
That's not my point.

The point was going to another teams board to tell us how s***** the player is we traded a conditional 7th round pick in 2020 for... I don't see the point.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I honestly couldn't care less about moving the 7th. I really don't think this guy is worth a roster spot though. I'm more concerned with that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't know anything about Vesey, but two names that come to mind with unspectacular numbers in their 4th college season who have become solid NHLers are Bryan Rust (0.825PPG) and Conor Sheary (0.823PPG). Vesey had a 0.676PPG so definitely a step down from those 2, but those 2 have made me realize that college numbers often don't mean a whole lot. Vesey's probably a long shot, but there's plenty of cases of guys who put up big numbers in college never translating to the NHL, while some guys with lesser numbers figure it out.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Meh. Why not?

Not really a waste of a contract. Every team has a player like this on an ELC. No real difference between him and Braden Christoffer having a contract the last couple of years.

Might turn into a decent AHLer.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What potential?

Chris Chelios was cut from United States International University in San Diego. He is a hall of famer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad