Player Discussion Nolan Vesey

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm in the wait and see camp.

Not expecting much, but I'm not going to put too much weight into write ups or rankings from fans when there's likely only a couple of people that have actually watched a Maine game on that board.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Not expecting much, but I'm not going to put too much weight into write ups or rankings from fans when there's likely only a couple of people that have actually watched a Maine game on that board.

Agree. While he might not be a homerun. But he could be as good as a 7th if he signs.

For me this is just another example of the lack of depth we have in our system

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017

This is a fair take on the situation but based on his development and performance, Vesey is no better than most of the college UFAs that were available a month ago. If he had not been drafted and if his name wasn't Vesey, I find it hard to believe he would have garnered much interest by NHL clubs. It's puzzling how he got an ELC. He's a PTO guy.

Worth a shot, though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agree. While he might not be a homerun. But he could be as good as a 7th if he signs.

He did sign. He has a 2 year ELC.

If the NHLE’s Lowetide posted are accurate he’s a similar prospect to Graham McPhee and should be a middle six guy in the AHL to start off with.

Also with NHLE’s - Maksimov posted a nearly 35 point NHL equivalent in the OHL as an 18 year old on a mediocre team. I’m saying right now that was a home run pick and he’ll be a 2nd line winger at least.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He did sign. He has a 2 year ELC.

If the NHLE’s Lowetide posted are accurate he’s a similar prospect to Graham McPhee and should be a middle six guy in the AHL to start off with.

Also with NHLE’s - Maksimov posted a nearly 35 point NHL equivalent in the OHL as an 18 year old on a mediocre team. I’m saying right now that was a home run pick and he’ll be a 2nd line winger at least.

I see the oilers added it at the end of their tweet

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Usually as someone who leads the charge for giving up picks (just review my rant about the Montoya trade and the 4th we gave up) I have no trouble with a 2020 7th rounder--it could be 218th overall

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He’s probably not wrong. If someone traded their 7th for Skyler Brindamour I’d say the same thing.

Skyler Brindamour doesn’t even have OK BCHL numbers.

I dunno. Vesey had a terrible season two years ago but rebounded - 25 points in 37 games isn’t bad at all. Pretty similar numbers to guys like Rust and Sheary at the college level.

It’s just a 7th rounder three years from now and if they keep making moves like this to try to unearth cheap talent I’m all for it. Let’s see him play at the AHL level.

Speaking of, seems like we’ve got a ton of bodies down there. The below is using Bako’s offseason tracker from their site:

Benson-Currie-Yamamoto
Marody-Malone-Hebig
Gambardella-Vesel-Russell
Vesey-Larkin-Polei
Christoffer-Van Stralen-Callahan

Jones-Bear
Lagesson-Lowe
Stanton-Day
Gryba
Marc-Olivier Crevier-Morin (yes, real dude)
Mantha - sad story there

Starrett
Skinner
Wells

I’d assume a guy like Gust will be back in the mix too.

I know there’s no AHL team size limit and maybe a couple end up in the ECHL and Malone/Marody/Yamamoto/Benson/Jones/Bear/Lagesson could all see some NHL time, but free agency hasn’t even started and there’s a full house down there.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Skyler Brindamour doesn’t even have OK BCHL numbers.

I dunno. Vesey had a terrible season two years ago but rebounded - 25 points in 37 games isn’t bad at all. Pretty similar numbers to guys like Rust and Sheary at the college level.

Its not good. Most NHL 4th liners scored a ppg in college. Its important to note that Sheary and Rust were both a couple of years younger when they left college, and they are the exception rather than the rule.

Vesey is 23.

I think the Oilers might put too much emphasis on bloodlines.

They've acquired/drafted a lot of players with NHL connections in the last few years with limited success on that front.

Pitlick and Benning are the best they've done so far. I would say Gagner, but he was a little bit of a disappointment given his draft position.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Its not good. Most NHL 4th liners scored a ppg in college. Its important to note that Sheary and Rust were both a couple of years younger when they left college, and they are the exception rather than the rule.

Vesey is 23.

I think the Oilers might put too much emphasis on bloodlines.

They've acquired/drafted a lot of players with NHL connections in the last few years with limited success on that front.

Pitlick and Benning are the best they've done so far. I would say Gagner, but he was a little bit of a disappointment given his draft position.
he got traded for a seven round draft.If he does not pan out then it is okey.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I am telling you the truth it a seven rounder for two years form now.Jesus h Christ .

Maybe you like the trade. Maybe you don't care.

Others might not like it.

Let them have their opinion.

There is no reason to do damage control for the org.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Maybe you like the trade. Maybe you don't care.

Others might not like it.

Let them have their opinion.

There is no reason to do damage control for the org.

:skeptic: you can not be serious can you.We also have tell you no that opinion is wrong.This deal is so minor ,it not something to have a negative opinion on.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I think that you hit the nail on the head. This is why we have added 3 prospects in recent deals, the Maroon trade gave us a prospect on top of the 3rd rounder that we later flipped for Marody and now this trade. Until our prospect cupboard is stocked I suspect that we will see more trades like these and NCAA or even CHL FA signings.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Enough of the bickering BS. Stick to the topic at hand instead of taking shots at posters.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Why do we keep wasting contract spots on guys like Vesey and Larkin? Or is this just a super long-term plan in order to sign their brothers as free agents or something?

I heard we only have 38 or so players signed right now. As you know, our Salary Cap - once Nurse is re-signed (along with Caggiula and Benning) is pretty much maxed out which doesn't give us a lot of wiggle room to sign NHL players. So who are you signing then? As for these guys, do you have better ideas on players we should be signing? I'm talking AHL/ECHL type players that aren't already under contract with another team and are young enough that one of them may develop into an NHL player (very unlikely but stranger things have happened).

I know I certainly don't have that knowledge, so I'll keep my criticism of these signings to a 'null' and let PC and Keith and the rest of the management team do their jobs. :)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers have 41 contracts signed right now.... but 4 of those can slide... Yamamoto, Safin, Maksimov and Samorukov.

Yamamoto likely will be with the team this season (lack of other decent winger options makes that more likely) so that would mean the team effectively has 38 contracts right now that will count against the 50 limit.

Add to that Nurse, Caggiula, Benning, (Strome... likely) and that will take it up to 42 contracts against the limit.

Not sure if they plan to re-sign any of Brossoit/Simpson/LaLeggia/Platzer but if they re-sign one of those that's added to the limit as well.

It doesn't take long to get close to that 50 limit when you add a few marginal names for AHL filler especially when you need to have at least a couple contract spots free for in-season trades and deadline additions (hopefully).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad