Value of: Nolan Patrick

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Patrick is actually not eligible to be offer sheeted due to not enough games played(lucky for us?). He is deemed a 10.2(c) free agent.

As long as the Flyers offer him a qualifying offer, and we will, Patrick has no leverage.

Thank the Lord.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Flyers need to cut bait with this dud. Accept the L--they drafted a lemon--and deal him for anything before wasting dollars on him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I've liked Patrick going back to his Brandon days. I've never viewed him as a potential 1C, but he is such a complete player. Could be a Horvat/Backlund type. I hope his health improves.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I've liked Patrick going back to his Brandon days. I've never viewed him as a potential 1C, but he is such a complete player. Could be a Horvat/Backlund type. I hope his health improves.

A week before he was drafted, TSN did a full page segment on his injuries. They used little dots with descriptions of his injuries to date--the final analysis was that Patrick "suffered more injuries before being drafted than most players do by the time they retire at 35." This dude was a lemon from the start--a complete scratch-off ticket gamble--nothing more, nothing less. Some players are just injury-prone, unlucky, unwilling to play through injury, or whatever. Patrick is one of them. And after committing 1.6 mil cap hit to a 7th defenseman, the Flyers cannot waste any credible cap dollars on a player than cannot rely on. The only way paying Patrick makes sense is if it's an extremely low salary with incentives built in.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
A week before he was drafted, TSN did a full page segment on his injuries. They used little dots with descriptions of his injuries to date--the final analysis was that Patrick "suffered more injuries before being drafted than most players do by the time they retire at 35." This dude was a lemon from the start--a complete scratch-off ticket gamble--nothing more, nothing less. Some players are just injury-prone, unlucky, unwilling to play through injury, or whatever. Patrick is one of them. And after committing 1.6 mil cap hit to a 7th defenseman, the Flyers cannot waste any credible cap dollars on a player than cannot rely on. The only way paying Patrick makes sense is if it's an extremely low salary with incentives built in.
He has definitely had his health issues. There's no debate about that, but so did Backlund early on. I wouldn't mind the Flames taking a chance on him for the right price. I mean if we're talking a 2nd round pick as the price that is. In 20 years the Flames have only drafted 3 players I'd wouldn't move to take a gamble on Patrick.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He has definitely had his health issues. There's no debate about that, but so did Backlund early on. I wouldn't mind the Flames taking a chance on him for the right price.
I think Patrick is the perfect "gamble" add-on to a bigger trade package. As a Flames fan, are you willing to gamble a bit on Patrick being a piece in a larger trade for someone like Gaudreau? Say...

*Patrick
JVR
Gostisbehere
1st

*if Patrick plays less than 75% of available games next season, the Flames receive an additional 2nd and 4th round picks

for

Gaudreau?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Performance bonus can't be included. No longer an ELC contract and Nolan isn't over 35. I'm not sure what incentives Philly can get away with, unless you're thinking of something like a Meier structured deal where the next qualifying offer is going to be worth it for Nolan as long as he performs well.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think Patrick is the perfect "gamble" add-on to a bigger trade package. As a Flames fan, are you willing to gamble a bit on Patrick being a piece in a larger trade for someone like Gaudreau? Say...

*Patrick
JVR
Gostisbehere
1st

*if Patrick plays less than 75% of available games next season, the Flames receive an additional 2nd and 4th round picks

for

Gaudreau?
There's 3 gambles and a 1st in that deal. So really 4 gambles. I can't see Flames remotely considering that.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

*Patrick
JVR
Gostisbehere
1st

for

Gaudreau?
No, because for me Gostisbehere and JVR are pieces I'm not interested in. If it was Patrick, 1st and a high end prospect I would be interested.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Fletcher said that Patrick continues to get better and better. That sounds good, but it’s also all we have heard for over a year. Fletcher again said he expects him to be a player for us next year. Never says he should be ready to go or and timeline at all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers need to cut bait with this dud. Accept the L--they drafted a lemon--and deal him for anything before wasting dollars on him.

That's as dumb as someone suggesting trade Couturier for Jonathan Bernier. Oh wait, YOU DID THAT TOO!

All prospects are scratch off tickets. If they weren't, you would not have situations like Yakupov, Stefan...and the other end have Lundqvist(7th rd pick) and Timonen(10th rd pick).

Back to Patrick, look what we HAVE to offer him:

-His base salary was $832,500
-"105% of the base salary if the base salary is greater than $660,000 or less than $1,000,000. However, this qualifying offer cannot exceed $1,000,000"-Capfriendly
-So we only "have" to offer him $874,124 to retain his rights, and we will
-Now he/his agent can refuse, but he has no arb rights and can't be offered an offer sheet by another team.
-He is waiver eligible, so at any time, can demote him and not lose him if he starts playing, and plays poorly.
-And if we demote him, ALL of his cap hit is covered unless we pay him a $1.075 million contract, which we shouldn't.

So when you look at all the fact, there is a VERY little amount of risk in just keeping him, signing him to a cheap, 1 year deal and see if his migraines get under control. Hell, we are paying Andrew f***ing MacDonald $1.9 million next year not to play for us. We sure as hell can pay half that to see if Patrick still can.

Plus, as we all know, the return on Patrick is nowhere near what the upside is is he does get things under control.

Sorry to squash your rant.

Reactions: Guttersniped

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Makes no sense to move him for nothing. If he cannot play he will retire and if he can well... good news for Flyers fans. Moving him for nothing is just plain simple dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad