Value of: Nolan Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Hard to predict value of the player who missed season. Especially if you consider him top-6 center for your team.
But if you see him as a 3C, you should know: his defensive responsibility is really overrated. Even in WHL. I really have no idea how some experts compared him to Anze Kopitar. I say about this not only as a Flyers fan but as a fan of junior hockey who have been watching him in Brandon many many times.
It’s not only “eye test”. His some advanced metrics even worse than JVR, Simmer and even TK. As you know this guys never was great defensive players. No need to talk about comparison to another Flyers centermen.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Hard to predict value of the player who missed season. Especially if you consider him top-6 center for your team.
But if you see him as a 3C, you should know: his defensive responsibility is really overrated. Even in WHL. I really have no idea how some experts compared him to Anze Kopitar. I say about this not only as a Flyers fan but as a fan of junior hockey who have been watching him in Brandon many many times.
It’s not only “eye test”. His some advanced metrics even worse than JVR, Simmer and even TK. As you know this guys never was great defensive players. No need to talk about comparison to another Flyers centermen.
Really I thought that was his strong suit. I seen Towes as an comparison. Let’s say Bergeron is 10 in his own end and Alexander Semin is a 1 where would Nolan Patrick rank on that scale

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
His trade value is exceptionally low right now because of the uncertainty with his future (those that say he hasn't played well clearly haven't watched him at all). That said, The flyers have no use for mid round picks as they already have an insanely deep talent pool to draw from. He'll get a 1 year deal at a low price this off-season, and sign it because he has no leverage at all, and then we'll continue to help him get the best medical care he can get (whoever it was that said the flyers have 'mismanaged' his healthcare are clearly not in touch with the situation. He has even mentioned that the flyers care for his health has been extraordinary).

Any attempt at a successful trade for him would have to bring back the on-ice value of a mid-6 Center, which is where we value his future potential to be. Given the uncertainty around his health and if he'll ever play again - I don't expect that to happen. But the flyers are in a strong position where they dont have to feel pressure to gamble it because they already have two strong top 6 centers, and Morgan Frost who should make the team next year as the 3c (he should be this year, but I digress).

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Pretend time... If the Flyers had to trade Patrick for a single pick in the 2020 draft, what's the highest pick they can get?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretend time... If the Flyers had to trade Patrick for a single pick in the 2020 draft, what's the highest pick they can get?
Considering it is almost impossible for the team trading for him to do a thorough medical right now. A late 2nd or a 3rd, which means he won't get traded.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Reality time since draft is happening in June NO PLAYER will be traded at draft let alone Patrick and his situation.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Reality time since draft is happening in June NO PLAYER will be traded at draft let alone Patrick and his situation.

False! Players can be traded any time but become ineligible for the playoffs. With Patrick's situation he's already unlikely to play and therefore a next season buy anyway.

The fantasy lives on!

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
False! Players can be traded any time but become ineligible for the playoffs. With Patrick's situation he's already unlikely to play and therefore a next season buy anyway.

The fantasy lives on!
No matter how low a percentage there is Patrick of coming back why in the Flyers right mind would they make it 0%? More playoff options the better. Atreu riding Falcor with a Jason hockey mask singing Eye of the Tiger has a better "chance" of happening then patrick being traded at draft.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
No matter how low a percentage there is Patrick of coming back why in the Flyers right mind would they make it 0%? More playoff options the better. Atreu riding Falcor with a Jason hockey mask singing Eye of the Tiger has a better "chance" of happening then patrick being traded at draft.

I'm going to need to see a photo shop of that before I make a judgement on it.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
habs don't really need C's now, but I'd part with 2 of montreal's 2nds in hopes he can get through the migraines. I think at worst, he projects as a Lars Eller, 2-way shut down C who can score a bit

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

yeah, as has been exhaustively covered Flyers have no reason to deal him given certainty of low return due to health concerns.

It's not like he is making, or could be making, enuf $ that the salary pushing on the cap is an issue. Accordingly, that out of the equation, it is about risk reward as to production.
A suitor will not overpay on maybe production
So why should PHI bid against itself and take less?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So that's a yes? You'd take 10th or 12th?
Moving on to the Sens 18th (nyi)...

I haven't followed the draft close enough to know who would realistically be available at 10/11 to say one way or the other. I'm inclined to say no, though. 18th is definitely too far out though, that i do know.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
So that's a yes? You'd take 10th or 12th?
Moving on to the Sens 18th (nyi)...
Starat is right, it’s a moot point to talk about value when a players career is still in question. No GM, in their right mind, would offer anything of value until there is concrete information regarding Nolan Patrick’s future.

The flyers have invested in him, medically and professionally, during his time here. We have no reason to trade him either because it would be a PR mess in the short-term.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Agree with my fellow Flyers fans that it doesn't make much sense to trade him. His value isn't great at the moment because of medical questions surrounding him. These hypothetical 1st's probably wouldn't be offered by GM's at the moment, even with Patrick's upside. Plus, he's exactly what the Flyers need in their line-up. With how they were playing before the suspension of the season, adding Patrick back to the line-up would only bolster the roster for a playoff push.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I agree it's a moot point. He's not going to be traded and it would look bad to do so...

But I mean I know I've got nothing else going on hockey wise so I'm willing to engage in conversation and speculation with the OP. It's more fun.

And with draft picks being the currency of the NHL trade market, reducing a player to his pick value is a fair basis to start with "what would it take".

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I agree it's a moot point. He's not going to be traded and it would look bad to do so...

But I mean I know I've got nothing else going on hockey wise so I'm willing to engage in conversation and speculation with the OP. It's more fun.

And with draft picks being the currency of the NHL trade market, reducing a player to his pick value is a fair basis to start with "what would it take".

I understand the sentiment, but here's the problem.

"I want a top 5 pick for patrick, otherwise, its not worth it"

"lol, patrick healthy doesnt get a top 5 picks, hes a bust. You can have a late 2nd and a 4th, he may never play again"

Meanwhile, we cant determine his true value because he hasnt played meaningful hockey in over a year at this point. Who knows what he has/hasnt developed into.

I think the closest weve gotten is someone offering up Pitt's 1st, which is still going to be early 20s at worst, and certainly isnt enough to consider- for me, anyway.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Really I thought that was his strong suit. I seen Towes as an comparison. Let’s say Bergeron is 10 in his own end and Alexander Semin is a 1 where would Nolan Patrick rank on that scale
I’d say 4,5-5
Some Flyers fans thought he will be Couturier-before-2017 type of a player at worst case scenario. But not even close, absolutely different cases. For me Patrick is more poor man Tavares type of a player.
Remember how one scout said before the draft, something like “Patrick without a puck remind me Phil Esposito and it’s not a compliment”. I was absolutely agree with this report and agree now

Last edited:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I’d say 4,5-5
Some Flyers fans thought he will be Couturier-before-2017 type of a player at worst case scenario. But not even close, absolutely different cases. For me Patrick is more poor man Tavares type of a player.
Remember how one scout said before the draft, something like “Patrick without a puck remind me Phil Esposito and it’s not a compliment”. I was absolutely agree with this report and agree now
The good thing is he has IQ and defensive play can be taught easier then offensive skill. He’s young and will get better. Do you think he’d fail in a shutdown role?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Rough go for the kid, hopefully he can get healthy and have a chance.

I wonder if this shut down will be enough time for him to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad