Value of: Nolan Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
I did reference a trade. I said his value is likely a player like Roslovic straight up a few pages back.
Honestly I didn't mean to quote you, I have an old phone so my apologies.
But yes I agree in that regard, that seems fair but overall I just dont see the urgency on the flyers part to pull the trigger on that trade.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I did reference a trade. I said his value is likely a player like Roslovic straight up a few pages back.
Now just think from Flyer point of view.
At 3c who would be better Laughton or Roslovic? Its Laughton. Flyers are so potentially deep Laughton could be their 4lw next year(If Frost and Patrick work out).
At 3c Is it better to to hope a 25 point 3-4c gets better or play upside Frost? Its Frost 10 out of 10.
So under these circumstances would you rather gamble on Patrick or play it safe for a player who will be your 4c and play 9 minutes a night? Its not a hard call.
For those who want to respond its better to get something my response is it is better to gamble on upside.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
At 3c who would be better Laughton or Roslovic? Its Laughton. Flyers are so potentially deep Laughton could be their 4lw next year(If Frost and Patrick work out).
At 3c Is it better to to hope a 25 point 3-4c gets better or play upside Frost? Its Frost 10 out of 10.
So under these circumstances would you rather gamble on Patrick or play it safe for a player who will be your 4c and play 9 minutes a night? Its not a hard call.
For those who want to respond its better to get something my response is it is better to gamble on upside.

You seem to be taking something away from my comments that I think moving Patrick is the right move.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I have a question: what kind of contract Flyers are going to offer him?.

Its his final season of his ELC, has missed the entire season,
missed games due to injuries in season 1 and 2 as well + had injuries in his entire WHL career.
- does he even have value + would it be smart not to bring him back at all

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

missed games due to injuries in season 1 and 2 as well + had injuries in his entire WHL career.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. The kid should seriously consider retiring for the betterment of his longterm health. Habs have a kid in a similar situation - Noah Juulsen. Horrible what has happened to these young players.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
All I can say is this, I wish I was either an NHL scout or a weather forecaster. Because only they can shoot in the dark and continue to be employed.

Just imagine if we had selected any of the other players in the top 5. Ughhhh.

Get well soon though, bud!

check draft

3 - Heiskanen
4 - Makar
5 - Pettersson

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Reactions: Accelleratii

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
When or if he's able to play again, the Flyers would probably do him a service letting him play in the AHL for a bit. He needs to dominate and get his confidence back before ever playing in the NHL again or he's just never going to pan out.

LEIFey

Context Matters!
Jun 28, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
When or if he's able to play again, the Flyers would probably do him a service letting him play in the AHL for a bit. He needs to dominate and get his confidence back before ever playing in the NHL again or he's just never going to pan out.
Think it’s safe to say that when and if he is ready to play again, he will likely get a conditioning stint in the AHL before jumping back to the NHL.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
People hate hearing these names but Colorado’s two most likely to move players this summer are Zadorov and Jost. As an Avs fan I’d offer those two along with their 1st for NP and Philly’s 2nd.

To Philly
Nikita Zadorov
Tyson Jost
1st rounder (somewhere in the 20’s)

To Colorado
Nolan Patrick
2nd rounder (somewhere in the 50’s)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If Copp is the centerpiece it's pointless. Patrick is one of the guys it's a waste of time to speculate on, no one will pay a premium for him since his career has been kind of a disaster but he was a consensus #1 overall prospect for like a year, so it's dumb for the Flyers to throw him away for a 3C especially when Patrick could still fall well short of his potential and end up better than Copp.

Yakupov once was a consensus 1st overall, and then Edmonton lost him for almost nothing... Consensus 1st overall isn't worth a lot, if a player isn't that great.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I was kind of thinking the same thing. The kid should seriously consider retiring for the betterment of his longterm health. Habs have a kid in a similar situation - Noah Juulsen. Horrible what has happened to these young players.

Even a contract at league minimum, he's never going to make that kind of money outside of the NHL.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

1) Does he get a contract? yes he gets a contract, he won't make a lot based on 0 games played, and Flyers are not up against the cap. Worst case LTIR and doesn't count against cap. Flyers cap crunch is 2021. 2020 they won't be able to sign major free agents but will be fine.
2) Does Patrick have value? If you think there is a legit possibility (Not probability) he plays next year he has value. Only way he has no value is of he retires.
3) Would it be smart to not bring back? WHY Your worse case is LTIR and get cap space at trade deadline.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

They will offer him a 1 year minimum deal and he will take it with little/no leverage

Except it's not the same. Juulsen is dealing with the effects of a concussion. Patrick is dealing with migraines which have come and gone since he was a kid. They were often brought on for no reason at all that he can tell and this was one of those times.

Hopefully thru meds he can find the right "mix" to keep them at bay.
I'd offer you Sam Bennett and Oliver Kylington.

Provy, Sanheim, Ghost, Hagg, Morin, York, Zamula, etc... I think our LHD is quite set.
People hate hearing these names but Colorado’s two most likely to move players this summer are Zadorov and Jost. As an Avs fan I’d offer those two along with their 1st for NP and Philly’s 2nd.

To Philly
Nikita Zadorov
Tyson Jost
1st rounder (somewhere in the 20’s)

To Colorado
Nolan Patrick
2nd rounder (somewhere in the 50’s)
Again, Provy, Sanheim, Ghost, Hagg, Morin, York, Zamula, etc... I think our LHD is quite set. And I like Zads.

the value is good, the fit is not. Mind you the depth for next year would look real nice:

Giroux Couts Voracek
JVR Hayes Konecny
Laughton Frost Farabee
Raffl Jost Aube-Kubel
Sandin

With Lindblom still a possibility later next year.

Provy Niskanen
Sanhein Myers
Zadorov Ghost
Hagg Morin

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Hopefully the kid gets healthy because he could still be a dominant force. Love his game.

There have been quite a few players that have had these migranes/headaches that were believed to be concussion-related and ended up being solved after a neck injury was discovered and corrected. Crosby is top of that list. Hopefully it's something like that that can be corrected and he can get back to hockey. Way too young and talented for him to not have a good NHL career.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hopefully the kid gets healthy because he could still be a dominant force. Love his game.

There have been quite a few players that have had these migranes/headaches that were believed to be concussion-related and ended up being solved after a neck injury was discovered and corrected. Crosby is top of that list. Hopefully it's something like that that can be corrected and he can get back to hockey. Way too young and talented for him to not have a good NHL career.
And some people forget that Patrice Bergeron missed almost a full season with a concussion/headaches....played just 10 games one year.

The human brain is a crazy thing to understand.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Roslovic has predominantly played RW for the Jets. He has had a few forays at C and has looked good most notably with Harkins and Appelton on one of the Jets variations of a third line this year.

The issue is that Maurice likes size, grit and defense down the middle so is hes not likely to play Roslovic at C unless forced by injuries.

I think that is why Patrik appeals to some Jets fans as his size and style is exactly what our coach values.

I'm not sure if you'd value Roslovic as a third line RW that can chip in some secondary scoring and play the ok or not. As you mentioned you have some options at C.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Roslovic has predominantly played RW for the Jets. He has had a few forays at C and has looked good most notably with Harkins and Appelton on one of the Jets variations of a third line this year.

The issue is that Maurice likes size, grit and defense down the middle so is hes not likely to play Roslovic at C unless forced by injuries.

I think that is why Patrik appeals to some Jets fans as his size and style is exactly what our coach values.

I'm not sure if you'd value Roslovic as a third line RW that can chip in some secondary scoring and play the ok or not. As you mentioned you have some options at C.
I think if the goal was veteran 3rd/4th line rw then you just resign Pitlick or Derek Grant and keep Patrick.
More likely I suspect the plan is this.
bottom 6 (assuming Lindblom unavailable for year)
JVR-Frost-Kubel
Laughton-Patrick-Rafll

Now if Patrick is unavailable then it goes

Rafll-Laughton-rookie rw (your choice of Sandin/Allison/Laczynski)

Even in Patrick was not available at start of the season, I would think Flyers try out the youngsters first. Flyers will have cap crunch in 2021 so as many 900k players you can have on the roster is a good thing. Maybe at trade deadline they reevaluate.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1) Does he get a contract? yes he gets a contract, he won't make a lot based on 0 games played, and Flyers are not up against the cap. Worst case LTIR and doesn't count against cap. Flyers cap crunch is 2021. 2020 they won't be able to sign major free agents but will be fine.
2) Does Patrick have value? If you think there is a legit possibility (Not probability) he plays next year he has value. Only way he has no value is of he retires.
3) Would it be smart to not bring back? WHY Your worse case is LTIR and get cap space at trade deadline.

largely agree
just noticing difference between mere fact that he (is eligible to and) plays
is dif
than him having significant value

based on draft selection and limited time that applies, when he is relatively or actually very healthy he does show high value. Arguably not nec top 2 overall high, but clearly high, no ?.
However and unfortunately, history is small amount of time he is that level healthy and going forward, projection assumes the worst until/unless he can demonstrate otherwise.
That demo is dif b'c it's internal. A broken bone, a ligament tear, etc, x rays do not lie. Concussion/migranes etc, whole dif animal

Whatever our difs as fans, always pull for players to be healthy. Possible exception for real scumbags who look to injure, which is fewer than back in the day. But otherwise, w/op exception, the saying your health is everything applies to the players as much as to us.

Everyone God bless, stay healthy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
...Except it's not the same. Juulsen is dealing with the effects of a concussion. Patrick is dealing with migraines which have come and gone since he was a kid. They were often brought on for no reason at all that he can tell and this was one of those times. ..

Not parsing on to what extent NP is also w/concussion or not/just migranes, there is another dif.
Juulsen got hit in the eye (area) w/a puck and has effects of that on top of other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad