Post-Game Talk: Nolan Patrick, We're Coming

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Just watched some highlights from this game again

I must say Minnesota's (green) jerseys are real nice! Maybe my favorite in the league.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
My word Bench are you posting faces of death stuff... :laugh::shakehead

There is no way that women is okay at all.

But that gif sums up our playoff chances after last week nicely. They are not okay at all and I think they are dead when looking at them.

She was pretty shook up but they got her out.

The Wings also might be shook up, but we too can climb out one day!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The Red Wings aren't due for a steep decline, they have already had their steep decline. It happened this year, and they are arguably a bottom 3 team in the NHL. Now the Wings will be on the upswing from this point on, just like the Leafs who may be a year or two ahead.

The Red Wings realistically can't decline anymore than they already have. Outside of like 2 teams in the NHL, they are basically the worst team in the league. Nowhere to go but up from this point.

I get what you're saying with steep decline, and I agree this is their steep decline. They 'could' get worse when Zetterberg declines, but a lot will have to go wrong just like this season.

#1 team in man games lost
3rd string goalie can't spearhead the team with wins
Helm, Abby, Sheahan, Larkin all slumping/having down season

Sure Zetterberg will decline. But Mantha and Larkin will get better. The team may not see so many injuries (hopefully) for a long time. New [drafted] players will come in and help do some heavy lifting.

So yes, I agree this team likely won't be this bad again unless Ken Holland trades off assets that will help.

Even this season, when Howard returns, I expect to see the team climb in the standing. But probably not enough to make the playoffs, but I am not giving up hope just yet!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It could, but this is a parity league. I don't think the spread will be like it once was.
In the final year before the cap, the top and bottom teams of the regular season finished with 106 and 58 points, respectively.

Currently, Washington is on pace for 123 points, and Colorado is on pace for 49.

I know the loser point makes a difference, but I don't think the spread is going anywhere.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
In the final year before the cap, the top and bottom teams of the regular season finished with 106 and 58 points, respectively.

Currently, Washington is on pace for 123 points, and Colorado is on pace for 49.

I know the loser point makes a difference, but I don't think the spread is going anywhere.

There's always going to be teams that are that bad. He thinks the 8th best team in the east can take on anybody in the playoffs. Sure. They could get lucky for a round. But they aren't beating the second best or the third best in the next rounds.

Now it's better in baseball. 20 wins over an 182 or whatever season isn't that big of a difference right? Those teams can take on the best and get lucky. Because the ones that make the playoffs aren't bad. But I guess that kind of ruins the whole parity thing. Cause it's a good team winning at least

Every sport has parity in the sense that any team can win on any given night. That's why the browns have at least 1 win every season. Doesn't make parity in the NHL way much better/tougher

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

The spread might not be, but I have been wondering if there's a tighter clustering among those 10-20ish teams (probably closer to 25) that keeps a lot of teams in the playoff picture a lot longer than they would have been out of it sooner.

I agree that there are going to be a handful of top teams and a handful of awful teams, but it sure seems like that middle group has grown.

I get what you're saying with steep decline, and I agree this is their steep decline. They 'could' get worse when Zetterberg declines, but a lot will have to go wrong just like this season.

#1 team in man games lost
3rd string goalie can't spearhead the team with wins
Helm, Abby, Sheahan, Larkin all slumping/having down season

Sure Zetterberg will decline. But Mantha and Larkin will get better. The team may not see so many injuries (hopefully) for a long time. New [drafted] players will come in and help do some heavy lifting.

So yes, I agree this team likely won't be this bad again unless Ken Holland trades off assets that will help.

Even this season, when Howard returns, I expect to see the team climb in the standing. But probably not enough to make the playoffs, but I am not giving up hope just yet!

Helm is pacing for one of his better seasons point wise, and I think Gator might just be returning to what Gator is. Sheahan...well, he can't be this weak production wise every year, can he? Point being that while some of these guys could be healthier, they've been as productive as we should maybe expect them to be when they have been in the lineup. And we're still losing. A lot. Larkin is the only guy there I'm looking at and seeing some clear and likely room for notable improvement next year.

Up front, I think we have to hope that Larkin bounces back, Mantha doesn't drop off any, and Athanasiou proves capable of handling bigger minutes. A lot to lean on going into next year.

On the back end, I think we're just up the creek without a paddle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad