Prospect Info: Nolan Patrick vs. Nico Hischier III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Exactly what I mean. A scout watches a player and is wowed. It doesn't mean we are taking that player because he isn't considering the full picture of his entire body of work, or the body of works of other players.

Castron isn't going to take Nico because one scout thought he looked like Sakic after watching him for two periods.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Exactly what I mean. A scout watches a player and is wowed. It doesn't mean we are taking that player because he isn't considering the full picture of his entire body of work, or the body of works of other players.

Castron isn't going to take Nico because one scout thought he looked like Sakic after watching him for two periods.

Ah okay so we're on the same page, somehow :laugh:

To that point though, Nolan's been critiqued for so long due to that extra season he's essentially had. There was a quote from a Red Wings scout that watching a prospect 10+ times will probably make you look for the smaller details that aren't quite as a refined in these prospects' games. Patrick could definitely be "over-scouted" at this point.

15 more days!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ah okay so we're on the same page, somehow :laugh:

To that point though, Nolan's been critiqued for so long due to that extra season he's essentially had. There was a quote from a Red Wings scout that watching a prospect 10+ times will probably make you look for the smaller details that aren't quite as a refined in these prospects' games. Patrick could definitely be "over-scouted" at this point.

15 more days!

I think we are. I don't want to take the lesser worker bees comments as proof of anything either way.

If Castron or Shero was making this choice with as much emotion as these scouts seem to be I would be extremely concerned.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not really relevant. Scouts weren't directly Nico this year to Patrick last year.

They were comparing Nico this year to Patrick's non-existent year. It would be fool-hardy to think these scouts are being this perfectly objective that this kind of bias isn't taking place.

It is what they do. They are scouts. They get attached to guys doing good things that they are physically watching. It is basic human nature. Some way HF though Nico was the greatest thing ever because of juniors while Patrick sat home.

At the end of the day they people don't make the decision. It is up to GMs and their directors to take the information and figure out what is relevant, what is noise, and put the entire picture together.

So the #1 pick boils down to the dogma of Patrick vs the shiny new toy syndrome of Hischier.

Need a degree in Psychiatry to figure this one out.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So the #1 pick boils down to the dogma of Patrick vs the shiny new toy syndrome of Hischier.

No it doesn't. Castron and Shero will make the objective choice here.

Fans are the ones getting lost in the minutia of emotional, knee jerk takes from scouts and experts who have various reasons to be doing that.

Fans are taking it a step forward by trying to use every piece of positive news for their guy as proof the team is taking them or that they are better, no matter how small, bias, or irrelevant the info is.

It sends to come more from Nico camps because he is the guy coming in from behind and he is the one that played the entire season. Just easier to make those takes.

All the Patrick instant takes are a year+ old and mostly disregarded, maybe rightfully so because of the age.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I know this is a fun post but on the note that Hischier is the shiny new toy I don't see why the same logic applied to Patrick isn't used on Hishcier. Or at least I haven't seen much of that talk around here. I've seen others say that Patrick has a much wider body of work than just this season, that scouts have ranked him #1 for a long time for a reason. And that Nico just kind of came out of nowhere. But Nico still played elsewhere prior to this season lol

He came out of nowhere to the average fan because most don't really look at overseas prospects as much as ones that play in North America, specifically the CHL. But his play still earned him a spot around #15 prior this season. Playing in a league with much more attention given to it (for prospects at least) and playing as well as he did only proved to more people how legit he is.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think our guys will make the best pick based on the information they have (important point for those already chomping st the bit to second guess this), and I'm ready to support either kid as the right choice.

The right choice is who Shero picks.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm still trying to see a strong similarity of a current NHL player for Nico.

I have seen glimpses of the styles of Elias, Datsyuk and Crosby, in his game.

In an interview I just watched, Bobby Smith has compared his playing style, and to a lesser degree his demeanor, to Joe Sakic. Mentioned Pierre Mondou called him up after watching Nico and said "I just texted my boss after the 2nd period and said I've just seen Joe Sakic".

FWIW He also seems VERY confident NJ is taking him #1.

Nico is longer and rangier then Datsyuk and Sakic. Most similar to Elias in body style of the guys listed.

I also thought Federov, similar size, defense, skating(though not as good). But Federov was super smooth and not as nifty as say a Datsyuk.

Maybe Nico is a stylistic mix of these guys, but not a great comparison to any of them?

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I'm really 55/45 in favor of Patrick simply based on pedigree and he didn't play himself down a spot. Injuries are a concern but he is the true #1 center that this team has longed for. The flash and dazzle of Nico is what I had hoped we would be able to get from about the mid point when he was projected top 5....

For the first time in 5 or 6 years of watching the draft, I don;t think I'll be totally disappointed with our pick unless we trade down or else go off the board with Heiskannen.

I'm excited about whichever of these guys we select and I will also, at the same time, be reprehensive about not picking the other and having him go to the Flyers. So, we can;t pick both and I've accepting of the fact that the other guy will go to Philly so I just have to trust in Castron (and thank G-D it's not still Conte making this choice) and be really pumped about whomever our new addition is. Both will be great hockey players.

I will say that I sometimes see people say that Patrick can be a franchise center, even if not a generational talent. I don't hear that about Nico although they do say he can be an elite level offensive force - perhaps thats as a winger.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
I hope so.

I don't necessarily see the Sakic comparison since Joe had a phenomenal wrist shot.

But, if two former greats see that playing comparison, I'll defer to their judgments.

Ya I dont think they are saying the *skill level* is the same , just the playing style. Sakic's wrist shot is legendary.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
With seeing Patrick easily compete at the combine, I'll take the big righted handed center with the great wrist-shot. He can power or finesse by you, very good skater with a bit of snarl who may grow to be 6-4, 220 lbs.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Every piece of new information that's come out in 2017 points to Hischier being the #1 pick.

that's the one trend that i was picking up on, too. more and more of the recent stuff has pointed to him i.e. almost every final mock/player ranking that i've seen come out this week has had Nico 1st. from a purely observational standpoint, the most Nolan support i've seen (for the Devils) has been from the fans while typically other sources like independent writers seem to sway Nico

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Yeah, all writers seem to think Nico to NJ is what's gonna happen. Bob McKenzie is usually pretty spot on with these things and he said he thinks Devils will take Hischier.

Platypus420

Nov 2, 2013
Which is why I wish we can made a deal and grab both but since that ain't happening, My Vote is Nico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad