Prospect Info: Nolan Patrick vs. Nico Hischier III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
So you don't think playing with really good offensive players will help inflate a players #'s? I didn't say it as a knock, moreso as a matter of fact.

But yeah he put up the same PPG as last year, which is the same ppg that Nico put up this year. So why is this not a race?

I guess we really are disregarding the injury. That was supposed to be sarcasm, not a suggestion.

The race thing has to do with scouts saying their opinion of Hischier catching up to Patrick doesn't have to do with Patrick's injuries this season. But all Hischier had to catch up to was scouts impression of Patrick from last season. Scout's look for year to year progression from a player, and Patrick's injuries (both those that kept him from playing at all and the sports hernia he played with this season) kept him from being able to show progression.

Thus - it's not really a race if one player is standing still.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I guess we really are disregarding the injury. That was supposed to be sarcasm, not a suggestion.

The race thing has to do with scouts saying their opinion of Hischier catching up to Patrick doesn't have to do with Patrick's injuries this season. But all Hischier had to catch up to was scouts impression of Patrick from last season. Scout's look for year to year progression from a player, and Patrick's injuries (both those that kept him from playing at all and the sports hernia he played with this season) kept him from being able to show progression.

Thus - it's not really a race if one player is standing still.
But it seems you are using the injury as positive for Nolan. Assuming that without them, he would have done more. Thus we should figure that Nolan would have had a better season then Nico.

Which is possible.

But I'm the exact opposite. Nolan has not been able to stay healthy. That to me is a major concern.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You missed the point which was, he has been well known to scouts long before playing in NA.

I'm a Nico guy, and have posted his stats in Switz which show him dominating leagues older then his age. I'm fully behind the notion that he has established himself even if the NA hockey world was not aware.

But I also try to stay objective. That quote is not saying much.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
I'm a Nico guy, and have posted his stats in Switz which show him dominating leagues older then his age. I'm fully behind the notion that he has established himself even if the NA hockey world was not aware.

But I also try to stay objective. That quote is not saying much.
I dont disagree with your statement, I am just saying that the inclusion of the quote was simply to demonstrate he was known to scouts in his "Switzerland Days".

As you are already aware, obviously you are not the target audience :)

Peace.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm seeing a similarity between Nolan and Ryan Johansen.

Sure, we can go down the list of big strong skilled centers. That is what Patrick looks to be.

Patrick was a more established junior player though. Johansen more of a late bloomer, he was doing a lot of nothing in the BCHL in his -1 year.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
But it seems you are using the injury as positive for Nolan. Assuming that without them, he would have done more. Thus we should figure that Nolan would have had a better season then Nico.

Which is possible.

But I'm the exact opposite. Nolan has not been able to stay healthy. That to me is a major concern.

That's a fair enough concern. I personally am not concerned too much by the injures...if he's been cleared by the medial staff then it's good enough for me. I'm just saying if we play the hypothetical of Patrick having a healthy season, it's not exactly fair to project he'd put up 1.4 PPG given that he did that while suffering through injuries.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
The Devils would also instantly become my Eastern team, which has the added benefit of me valiantly defending the Devils on the main boards by flaming the opposition whenever I see the need for it.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

we will endorse this behavior regardless of our first pick lol

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sure, we can go down the list of big strong skilled centers. That is what Patrick looks to be.

Patrick was a more established junior player though. Johansen more of a late bloomer, he was doing a lot of nothing in the BCHL in his -1 year.

I'm still trying to see a strong similarity of a current NHL player for Nico.

I have seen glimpses of the styles of Elias, Datsyuk and Crosby, in his game.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

i definitely like the Datsyuk one. all 3 of those players are smart and creative offensive players who take extreme pride in their defensive game, but i always thought the pure elusiveness Nico exhibits closer aligns with Datsyuk. i want to reiterate this is just stylistically speaking

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I'm seeing a similarity between Nolan and Ryan Johansen.

Yea I see this too, while it matters little in the way of style, Johansen was also from the WHL and a Castron pick. Interesting to note as well that Johansen's health has been a concern at times, but thats more as a pro and not such at junior level.

I'm still firmly for Hischier as I think his creative intangibles put him over the top, but I'll equally change gears and be hyped for Nolan if his name is the one called.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Patrick looks like a traditional NHL center while Hischier has an amazing element of creativity and the potential to truly be a special player in the league. That is why I am team Nico. His ability to stop and turn on a dime to create space for himself is truly incredible and will really help him in the NHL. Especially against some of the stay at home, slower defensemen like Ben Lovejoy, Dan Girardi, Marc Staal, Radko Gudas, Ian Cole, Brooks Orpik, Karl Alzner in the Metropolitan.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax

In an interview I just watched, Bobby Smith has compared his playing style, and to a lesser degree his demeanor, to Joe Sakic. Mentioned Pierre Mondou called him up after watching Nico and said "I just texted my boss after the 2nd period and said I've just seen Joe Sakic".

FWIW He also seems VERY confident NJ is taking him #1.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One horse was standing still, there really was no race is my point.

It was virtually impossible for Patrick to rise due to lack of viewing and no WJC because of injuries and it was inevitable for 1 horse from way, way way back in the pack to make it a photo finish.

I'm just not sure that photo finish is real indication of anything... Because there was no race... Patrick was just standing at the finish line and Nico was the fastest of the rest of the pack.

This is a good point

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
In an interview I just watched, Bobby Smith has compared his playing style, and to a lesser degree his demeanor, to Joe Sakic. Mentioned Pierre Mondou called him up after watching Nico and said "I just texted my boss after the 2nd period and said I've just seen Joe Sakic".

I hope so.

I don't necessarily see the Sakic comparison since Joe had a phenomenal wrist shot.

But, if two former greats see that playing comparison, I'll defer to their judgments.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Sure Patrick may have stood still this past season due to injuries but lest we forget he's a year (a few months really but different year) older than Nico and missed last year's draft cut-off by 4 days. Last year could essentially be called his "draft" year if you want to think of it that way.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sure Patrick may have stood still this past season due to injuries but lest we forget he's a year (a few months really but different year) older than Nico and missed last year's draft cut-off by 4 days. Last year could essentially be called his "draft" year if you want to think of it that way.

Not really relevant. Scouts weren't directly Nico this year to Patrick last year.

They were comparing Nico this year to Patrick's non-existent year. It would be fool-hardy to think these scouts are being this perfectly objective that this kind of bias isn't taking place.

It is what they do. They are scouts. They get attached to guys doing good things that they are physically watching. It is basic human nature. Some way HF though Nico was the greatest thing ever because of juniors while Patrick sat home.

At the end of the day they people don't make the decision. It is up to GMs and their directors to take the information and figure out what is relevant, what is noise, and put the entire picture together.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Not really relevant. Scouts weren't directly Nico this year to Patrick last year.

They were comparing Nico this year to Patrick's non-existent year. It would be fool-hardy to think these scouts are being this perfectly objective that this kind of bias isn't taking place.

It is what they do. They are scouts. They get attached to guys doing good things that they are physically watching. It is basic human nature. Some way HF though Nico was the greatest thing ever because of juniors while Patrick sat home.

At the end of the day they people don't make the decision. It is up to GMs and their directors to take the information and figure out what is relevant, what is noise, and put the entire picture together.

Yea I was more so getting at that some are touching on Nolan's whole body of work for scouts to look at got cut short due to his injuries this year. But that that time was essentially an entire season longer than what Nico got to show prior to this draft.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

well Mondou is a devils scout so maybe that's why he's so confident.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

Link to said interview?

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015

You have stated in a previous post that not picking Patrick would be the wrong choice so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad