Prospect Info: Nolan Patrick vs. Nico Hischier III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But what about the rationale that Nico legitimately played his way into making this a two-horse race? That's what I think happened, not just the media trying to hype this up.

One horse was standing still, there really was no race is my point.

It was virtually impossible for Patrick to rise due to lack of viewing and no WJC because of injuries and it was inevitable for 1 horse from way, way way back in the pack to make it a photo finish.

I'm just not sure that photo finish is real indication of anything... Because there was no race... Patrick was just standing at the finish line and Nico was the fastest of the rest of the pack.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
In case any of you wanted to hear the hilarity of Mike Francesa talk Nico V. Nolan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=1H_3aGMaGIQ

It's insulting how little a big name local radio broadcaster knows about the Devils. The only time that station covers hockey is when the Rangers are in the playoffs and half the questions are about Henrik Lundqvist.

I remember when the Islanders beat the Panthers they were trying to have an Islanders exclusive section of fan call ins and all they could get was Rangers fans complaining about the Islanders winning and how "hard" that was for them.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's insulting how little a big name local radio broadcaster knows about the Devils. The only time that station covers hockey is when the Rangers are in the playoffs and half the questions are about Henrik Lundqvist.

I remember when the Islanders beat the Panthers they were trying to have an Islanders exclusive section of fan call ins and all they could get was Rangers fans complaining about the Islanders winning and how "hard" that was for them.

It's not just the Devils, he knows absolutely nothing about hockey...And he makes no apologies for it. He admits it and doesn't care.

I find it absurd that sports caster would completely ingnore a major sport that has 3 professional teams within 10 minutes from his broadcast booth. He spends more time talking about about horses and the triple crown than playoff hockey.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At least when Lou was here he would have him on the radio like once a year and he actually asked questions and let him talk (unlike with most of his subjects who he constantly talks over) cause he knows he knows nothing about hockey. The morning shows do attempt to talk hockey though they're all Ranger-Isle fans :P

Calling him and trying to ask about the #1 pick, I mean come on though - that's an obvious troll...it'd be like asking Barry Melrose about horse racing. I mean he's been on the air thirty years, everyone knows his schtick now. He's going to focus on 50% baseball, 40% football, 8% golf/horse racing/basketball and 2% miscellaneous. Football/baseball drive the local ratings. It's the same reason why the NHL only broadcasts six teams, they're slaves to what drive ratings.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's not just the Devils, he knows absolutely nothing about hockey...And he makes no apologies for it. He admits it and doesn't care.

I find it absurd that sports caster would completely ingnore a major sport that has 3 professional teams within 10 minutes from his broadcast booth. He spends more time talking about about horses and the triple crown than playoff hockey.

There's an entire network, dedicated to sports, typically ignores hockey. Go to espn.com right now and look at the top icons for the individual sports. Hockey is dead last behind NCAA football which isn't even in season and soccer. I don't know why you'd be surprised a guy who typically spends 85% of his show talking about the Yankees, Giants, Mets, Jets would largely ignore hockey, let alone the Devils.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

He says all the time the only time to talk about hockey is the playoffs. Other than that there's no reason to talk about it apparently. That's the only time that's appropriate.

In his defense with the horse racing, he owns horses and races them. His horse, excuse me I meant "athlete", Mongo Nation has actually done very well this year.

But it's a really big deal the Devils won the first overall and there's only really two players to pick from. He can do a little bit of a background check on the two and be somewhat knowledgeable to the point he doesn't have to look like a jackass and call the guy a moron for asking a legitimate question. That isn't too much to ask from the pope of sports.

No matter what though he's still better than boomer and ****ing craig carton

Edit: Found some stats on Mongo Nation. In 2017 he's had 4 starts and finished first in two of them. That's actually really good for him. In 2016 he showed in both races he ran.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=9737237&registry=T&rbt=TB

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
There's an entire network, dedicated to sports, typically ignores hockey. Go to espn.com right now and look at the top icons for the individual sports. Hockey is dead last behind NCAA football which isn't even in season and soccer. I don't know why you'd be surprised a guy who typically spends 85% of his show talking about the Yankees, Giants, Mets, Jets would largely ignore hockey, let alone the Devils.

And ESPN isn't exactly thriving right now.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
a missed component of drafting Nico is that we'll need a designated translator for the influx of Swiss fans we receive. with as many languages as they have, have to wonder if that's in the budget :sarcasm:
Reporting for duty.

I would do that part time for free*. The Devils would also instantly become my Eastern team, which has the added benefit of me valiantly defending the Devils on the main boards by flaming the opposition whenever I see the need for it.

*Translations are free of charge for up to three words, longer texts will be charged at a $5 per 10 words rate to cover my expenses. Leftover money will be invested in either Nico Hischier or Anaheim Ducks merchandise. Terms and conditions may apply.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
He's just trying to scam you, everyone knows you only have to bother with Rumantsch, the others are irrelevant.

But joking aside, if Hischier would start talking in his native swiss german accent, many swiss german speakers would need a translator themselves. Just stick to english, makes it easier for us lurking around :laugh:

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
He's just trying to scam you, everyone knows you only have to bother with Rumantsch, the others are irrelevant.

But joking aside, if Hischier would start talking in his native swiss german accent, many swiss german speakers would need a translator themselves. Just stick to english, makes it easier for us lurking around :laugh:

Good thing that I, at the very least, understand it well enough to provide translations, considering that like half of my family speaks Jauer and Vallader :laugh:

Totally not trying to scam anybody here. I mean, the flaming package alone is worth the deal, the translations are just a nice bonus.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I've completely flipped from Team Nolan to Team Nico since finding out the Devils won the #1 pick.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
One horse was standing still, there really was no race is my point.

It was virtually impossible for Patrick to rise due to lack of viewing and no WJC because of injuries and it was inevitable for 1 horse from way, way way back in the pack to make it a photo finish.

I'm just not sure that photo finish is real indication of anything... Because there was no race... Patrick was just standing at the finish line and Nico was the fastest of the rest of the pack.
Well let's play the hypothetical that Patrick was able to play this year, and continued on his 1.4 ppg pace, like Nico did, and had a strong WJC like Nico did.

I don't criticize Nolan for seeing his production flat line given he lost so many high powered team mates. But on the other hand, we should acknowledge those guys helped pump up his stats last year.

Even if we waive disregard that Nolan was not able to play this year, and give him a fair 1.4 ppg full season projection, his season would be exactly on par with Nico's.

So the idea that this is not a race is standing fully on the notion that because Nolan is North American, the North American hockey community has seen more of him, thus he is the better pick.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Well let's play the hypothetical that Patrick was able to play this year, and continued on his 1.4 ppg pace, like Nico did, and had a strong WJC like Nico did.

I don't criticize Nolan for seeing his production flat line given he lost so many high powered team mates. But on the other hand, we should acknowledge those guys helped pump up his stats last year.

Even if we waive disregard that Nolan was not able to play this year, and give him a fair 1.4 ppg full season projection, his season would be exactly on par with Nico's.

So the idea that this is not a race is standing fully on the notion that because Nolan is North American, the North American hockey community has seen more of him, thus he is the better pick.

Let's disregard that he was playing with an un-diagnosed sports hernia after having surgery in the off season to repair a different sports hernia...preventing him from doing any real off season training.

Playing half a season this year at no where near full health, playing on a much worse team...he put up roughly the same PPG as he did last year with the team that supposedly inflated his numbers.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax

That seems to be the case. To the general public and mainstream sports media it *seems* like Nico "came out of nowhere". But I have seen a bunch of NHL scout interviews that speak to the contrary.

Tampa chief Scout Al Murray:

"Well I'm a fan of Nico's. I've seen Nico for a couple years now. He was always one of the top players in Switzerland in his age group."

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Let's disregard that he was playing with an un-diagnosed sports hernia after having surgery in the off season to repair a different sports hernia...preventing him from doing any real off season training.

Playing half a season this year at no where near full health, playing on a much worse team...he put up roughly the same PPG as he did last year with the team that supposedly inflated his numbers.

So you don't think playing with really good offensive players will help inflate a players #'s? I didn't say it as a knock, moreso as a matter of fact.

But yeah he put up the same PPG as last year, which is the same ppg that Nico put up this year. So why is this not a race?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That seems to be the case. To the general public and mainstream sports media it *seems* like Nico "came out of nowhere". But I have seen a bunch of NHL scout interviews that speak to the contrary.

Tampa chief Scout Al Murray:

"Well I'm a fan of Nico's. I've seen Nico for a couple years now. He was always one of the top players in Switzerland in his age group."

To be fair this is not saying much. Or at least not much of an argument for #1 pick in the draft.

Something along the lines of "nico has long dominated the swiss landscape even while playing against players above his age" would be more fitting.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
To be fair this is not saying much. Or at least not much of an argument for #1 pick in the draft.

Something along the lines of "nico has long dominated the swiss landscape even while playing against players above his age" would be more fitting.

You missed the point which was, he has been well known to scouts long before playing in NA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad