Value of: Nolan Patrick to Winnipeg

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Nylander for sure.
I wouldn't move Rielly purely because we need to add defenseman, not trade one for another one.

That's the correct answer. Nylander or Ehlers should easily be moved for the 2017 1st. You are not fit for NHL GM if you can't make executive decisions with your head rather than your heart.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
That's the correct answer. Nylander or Ehlers should easily be moved for the 2017 1st. You are not fit for NHL GM if you can't make executive decisions with your head rather than your heart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this whole thread is premised on thinking with the heart (drafting the "hometown" boy). I'm personally concerned about his injury history, and it seems like adding talent isn't helping us anyway, so why move the parts that work?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Prospects continue to be massively overvalued on hfboards, what else is new

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this whole thread is premised on thinking with the heart (drafting the "hometown" boy). I'm personally concerned about his injury history, and it seems like adding talent isn't helping us anyway, so why move the parts that work?

That's true about the thread. If I was a Jets fan, I'd love hometown boy Patrick even more because he's a hometown boy (surprised others don't feel that way), but what I say or think has no consequence to how Chevaldayoff would act.

If I was actually the GM, I'd operate with a stone cold heart. Patrick is not McDavid but he's still worth more than Nylander and Ehlers because he'll still project to be the better player. And since both the Jets and Leafs have some good forward depth, you can even take Liljegren with that pick. And to go even further, you can trade the pick away again for someone even better, if a team is willing to dance.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Why would I do that? I don't think that's the case at all.
So sensitive... :laugh:

So you let it slide without commenting. Nice. I have no issues calling out fellow Jets fans when they make delusional comments. Is it possible for you to do something like that? After seeing you in action...I highly doubt it tough guy.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So you let it slide without commenting. Nice. I have no issues calling out fellow Jets fans when they make delusional comments. Is it possible for you to do something like that? After seeing you in action...I highly doubt it tough guy.

Are you serious?
I quoted what was there, then he changed it.
Sorry for not rereading the page? Is that what you're looking for?
I didn't realize I had such a great responsibility around here... :laugh:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Avs draft Patrick

He's not really a sure fire 1st overall to warrant passing on a true need in Lilljgren. Also not much difference between the two IMO in terms of talent and top potential. Patrick does not seem like a sure fire 1st line C. More like a 2nd who can become a 1st if all stars align perfectly

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He's not really a sure fire 1st overall to warrant passing on a true need in Lilljgren. Also not much difference between the two IMO in terms of talent and top potential. Patrick does not seem like a sure fire 1st line C. More like a 2nd who can become a 1st if all stars align perfectly

Good point.
Why wouldn't the Avs take a defenseman? Their D core is almost as bad as the Leafs.

Plus the Jets would have an easier time trading for #2 because it doesn't have the same optics as #1

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
They aren't garbage but they also aren't as valuable as Ehlers or Trouba.

This draft class sucks
yea until someone makes an offer for whomever the Jets draft next June with their pick. This crap happens every year "outside of Ekblad/Reinhart, McDavid/Eichel, Matthews/Laine this draft is crap"
One idiot on some horrible blog says it and it spreads like wild fire on HF. Every year up until the draft order is decided of course then the top ten is great

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Prospects continue to be massively overvalued on hfboards, what else is new

Only if they are not property of the Winnipeg Jets. Don't you forget that!

But hey... Who am I talking to ? ;)

I think #1 overall right now is wide open.

For me Patrick/Liljegren/Hischier are the frontrunners right now but very hard to tell this year with all the guys hurt or having mono or just breaking out.

Avs will have an inside track on Liljegren. Apparantely one of their swedish scouts is the GM of Rogle (team Liljegren is playing for) so they should exactly know what they are getting if they go down that road.

Patrick also could be considered somewhat of a need. If we are looking forward to the 2018 draft and all the shiny D prospects that are projected to go high there, Patrick 2017, Dahlin/Merkley/Wilde/McIsaac in 2018 might not be the worst of plans.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
catch a lot of WHL games do you?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Drama thread....yikes..

Nolan will be a good player, but I wouldn't overpay for him b/c he's a hometown boy or his level of talent. He's not a generational talent or anything. If we draft him cool, if not won't lose a single second of sleep over it. Don't care he's from Winnipeg.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Drama thread....yikes..

Nolan will be a good player, but I wouldn't overpay for him b/c he's a hometown boy or his level of talent. He's not a generational talent or anything. If we draft him cool, if not won't lose a single second of sleep over it. Don't care he's from Winnipeg.

Of course not. There's only been 2 drafts that had generational players sitting at the top in the last 12 years and that was 2005 (Crosby) and 2015 (McDavid)
The contenders for top spot in 2017 are still damn good players though.
I agree that it wouldn't be smart to overpay based on where a player was born, though.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
There's a difference between paying extra for a hometown boy, and making a favorable trade.

Trouba and Connor, or Trouba and Ehlers would probably be considered an overpayment.

Ehlers alone is a favorable trade for the Jets. Take away the 2-3 years of emotional attachment, and Patrick is worth more. Thinking of it another way, if the Jets won the lottery to draft Patrick, I bet Jets fans would be willing to part with Ehlers in the fall, after a few months of loving Patrick.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Drama thread....yikes..

Said perfectly.

We don't need a local talent to sell seats or merchandise.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
There's a difference between paying extra for a hometown boy, and making a favorable trade.

Trouba and Connor, or Trouba and Ehlers would probably be considered an overpayment.

Ehlers alone is a favorable trade for the Jets. Take away the 2-3 years of emotional attachment, and Patrick is worth more. Thinking of it another way, if the Jets won the lottery to draft Patrick, I bet Jets fans would be willing to part with Ehlers in the fall, after a few months of loving Patrick.

Or keep both ;)

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
The Jets don't want to stay in a constant rebuild. We want to compete sooner than later. Keeping our young proven players is essential.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Drama thread....yikes..

Yeah it's not like there's no players that come from Winnipeg. This isn't a Matthews situation.

From an outsiders POV I think using Trouba to get #1 could be good if Chevy was certain he wouldn't be able to resign him long term. Also it looks like the need for 1LHD isn't as big as it was in the summer with the emergence of Morissey, but I could be wrong.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Yup. Too much. Not all 1st overall are worth the same value.

We aren't talking McDavid/Matthews #1 overall pick here. It's more along the lines of McKinnon #1 overall pick.

but mackinnon was better than matthews coming out of the draft lol

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah it's not like there's no players that come from Winnipeg. This isn't a Matthews situation.

From an outsiders POV I think using Trouba to get #1 could be good if Chevy was certain he wouldn't be able to resign him long term. Also it looks like the need for 1LHD isn't as big as it was in the summer with the emergence of Morissey, but I could be wrong.

Your not wrong, Josh has been amazing....arguably our most consistent D this season. He's top 4 already, no looking back. Still we do need more D prospects....don't have enough and in two years we need to replace Toby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad