Value of: Nolan Patrick to Winnipeg

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Just because a guy is a number one pick it doesn't mean he gains some mystical abilities that make him a better hockey player, you have to actually watch guys and judge their value, and at the end of the day Patrick just isn't a guy you give up Ehlers or Trouba for. He's more of a Sam reinhart than a McDavid

#1 Overall holds extra value if you like it or not.

I am actually not even trashing that offer really. In a vacuum it might not be that bad if we forget about the last 4 months (and as an Avs fan I really would like to do that). And I am not even talking about the Avs. With the lottery and Vegas, I expect us to pick around #4 to be honest if EJ can come backs soon.

I am a fan of Connor and would really like to have Trouba if he hadn't pulled what he did this season.

But so far Connor has not established himself in the NHL and Trouba is a #3/4 with good upside but many questionmarks (contract demands, behavior, etc.).

You don't trade away the marketability and hype potential of a #1 overall pick for that.

And there also is a good chance that Patrick or Hischier or whoever goes first will have a better career than both Trouba and Connor. Quite likely actually.

And usually the teams giving up the best player loses.

I mean we are dealing in hypotheticals here. When was the last time the #1 pick got traded (was it Florida and Fleury?)?

The #1 pick will only be traded for an overpayment. And no one wants to do that. Weak draft or not.
The equation does not change. McDavid would have cost you your 3 best players+ 10 next 1st round picks probably.

Matthews might have cost you your 2 best players.

This years #1 will cost you also way more than you will be willing to give up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Which is not really smart of you. But you already have Scheifele so it is somewhat Ok.

Mac was actually way more highly touted than Patrick is. But yeah. Hfboards is flavor of the month.

After his rookie season he was Stamkos. Now he is garbage...

This whole premise is a joke. You are not getting a #1 overall pick for two solid pieces.

Trouba will have to be traded and wants to get paid and everyone knows it. Connor has yet to show his value on the NHL level.

You are not getting #1 for that. Even if it is Yakupov in his draft year

So we will trade Trouba if necessary but it will be for D not F. Maybe LHD, maybe RHD. Maybe prospect(s), maybe player(s) but it will be young, good D.

Connor has yet to show his value in the NHL but the same goes for Patrick, or whoever is rated #1 OA by June. It may not even be Patrick by then.

The premise of the OP was that we would somehow overpay because Patrick is a Winnipeg boy. That won't happen.

Mar 26, 2010
Come on, Everyone knows that Toronto is going to draft Patrick. 1st OA pick to Toronto!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Nolan Patrick or Timothy Liljegren are not with Ehlers or Trouba, sorry.

You should make a thread that offers Trouba OR Ehlers for 1st overall.
I'm pretty confident that the potential holders of that pick would not make that trade, despite them being good young players.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
It's actually unbelievable :laugh:

Haha you guys are actually telling me you'd be fine with giving up Nylander or Rielly for Patrick?

I'd take all of Laine/Matthews/Ehlers/Nylander/Marner over Patrick. He's not that special of a prospect

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Haha you guys are actually telling me you'd be fine with giving up Nylander or Rielly for Patrick?

I'd take all of Laine/Matthews/Ehlers/Nylander/Marner over Patrick. He's not that special of a prospect

It's not necessarily Patrick. It's the 1st choice of all the prospects in the upcoming draft.
That holds massive value.

Edit - And yes, I'd trade Nylander for the 2016 1st overall and I'd take a much needed defenceman

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
It's not necessarily Patrick. It's the 1st choice of all the prospects in the upcoming draft.
That holds massive value.

Edit - And yes, I'd trade Nylander for the 2016 1st overall and I'd take a much needed defenceman

Not when there isn't an elite prospect in the draft class

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Not when there isn't an elite prospect in the draft class

The top end isn't as high as recent years but they're still elite talent.
I would gamble that Nolan Patrick or Timothy Liljegren have just as good or better chances to become elite players than Ehlers or Trouba

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I would gamble that Nolan Patrick or Timothy Liljegren have just as good or better chances to become elite players than Ehlers or Trouba
So you'd be fine with moving Nylander or Rielly for the 1OA?

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

Sums up Winnipeg's position:

2b6d8a389451debee7dc8ffade49261a90d44c3be21879f109d4cfbbe36a5631.jpg

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Nylander for sure.
I wouldn't move Rielly purely because we need to add defenseman, not trade one for another one.

Well I'm glad to know you think that the 1st OA gives a prospect some elite special ability, I probably should have known previous to this exchange not to take your opinions on hockey seriously

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Well I'm glad to know you think that the 1st OA gives a prospect some elite special ability, I probably should have known previous to this exchange not to take your opinions on hockey seriously

Huh?

All I said is that I'd trade Nylander for the ability to pick the best defenseman in the 2017 draft.
It's just a matter of dealing from a position of strength to gain an asset in a position of weakness
Also, I'm not sure why you anger so easily and get personal on a message board. You should probably talk to someone...

PS. You should look at the thread about 1st overall to see how literally everyone else values the pick.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Why cutout that posters entire post? You left out the part about his credibility. Oh, that's right both Leafs fans.

I didn't cut out anything. He must have been editing it when I quoted it.
Great conspiracy theory, though :laugh:

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Huh?

All I said is that I'd trade Nylander for the ability to pick the best defenseman in the 2017 draft.
It's just a matter of dealing from a position of strength to gain an asset in a position of weakness
Also, I'm not sure why you anger so easily and get personal on a message board. You should probably talk to someone...

PS. You should look at the thread about 1st overall to see how literally everyone else values the pick.

Why not start a thread about neither Trouba or Ehlers being worth a top 15 pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad