Nolan Patrick, Part 2

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Kid will be fine. He’s got some snarl to his game that I think will come out a bit too.

The injuries are my only real concern going forward right now. He needs to stay healthy.

Easier said than done.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Hopefully a coach who is able to communicate with his players helps.

Are you suggesting that a coach who admitted taht he's not a good communicator might have had a negative influence on players making the transition to pro? That a coach with absolutely no pro experience himself might have lacked context, in addition to the lack of empathy & communication? That coupled with a system that clearly didnt work and never changed, built frustration with the skill players, that may have somehow impacted their development in a not positive manner?

image.jpg

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Are you suggesting that a coach who admitted taht he's not a good communicator might have had a negative influence on players making the transition to pro? That a coach with absolutely no pro experience himself might have lacked context, in addition to the lack of empathy & communication? That coupled with a system that clearly didnt work and never changed, built frustration with the skill players, that may have somehow impacted their development in a not positive manner?

image.jpg
Yes thats pretty much it. :nod:

On a serious note, before deadhead arrives to tell us that some young players did well under Hak so it can't be him. There are different kind of people, some are able to progress and succeed with little to no instruction and help, unfortunatily that is not the case with lots of people.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's no evidence, other than people with per-conceived opinions, that Patrick was hurt by coaching, he had strong second halves each season, if his confidence was shot you'd expect him to regress each year.
Nor does he have bad fundamentals, he is fundamentally sound at a young age.

A simpler explanation is that he hasn't mentally recovered from his surgeries, and as he plays each season he gets more confidence that he won't be re-injured and ups his game. Hopefully, another summer adding strength (especially core strength) and getting further away from his surgeries will allow him to go all out.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes thats pretty much it. :nod:

On a serious note, before deadhead arrives to tell us that some young players did well under Hak so it can't be him. There are different kind of people, some are able to progress and succeed with little to no instruction and help, unfortunatily that is not the case with lots of people.
The kids who succeeded under Hak did so based strictly on their own indivual ability. If you look at each individual case, all of them were held back or misused, in one way or another.

The guys incompetence can't be overstated.

Reactions: Stizzle and Harhis

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If TOI is being used against Fletch for Provy, then they should be capping Patrick until he re-signs. PP2. Give Hayes more offensive starts at least in the beginning.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
When Sanheim was not on the unit, it had 4 goals for and 4 goals against.

The PP under Provorov's stead has a goals for/against of 22-13 in his 3 year career. Keep in mind, he's spent time on PP1. So, if you isolate and remove the time he spent with Giroux (10 GF-1 GA in 69 minutes out of 415 minutes) -- which leaves us with the PP2 -- he has 12 GF-12 GA in the other 84% of his PP time.

Not that this will matter in choosing which defensemen play on the PP.
Unfortunately Provy has proved himself to have a tunnel vision when it comes to offense and all those quotes from last year how he wanted to focus on his offense might have just resulted in him forcing the plays when he didn't have to. I think it was hossa who said he could score a lot more, but he opted to play championship caliber game or something like that even though he played position where sacrificing defense for scoring has the least repercussions.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Flyers have done a good job having Patrick focus on defensive side of the puck. As a young center that is by far the hardest part of the game to develop quickly. I think we've seen big improvements in his first two seasons similar to Couts.

His issue is he hasn't matured physically and mentally on the ice (injuries have had an impact here). That's the step he needs to take. Improve his skating, intensity and gain some confidence in the offensive end using his size and shot. If we see that we are in for a treat. If we still see an injury prone player that lacks intensity and confidence it will likely see him being dumped in a trade this season (which would be bad imo) but with the Flyers signing Hayes and with the prospect depth being so deep I could see a panic move.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I am a big Patrick fan too, But I am not sure that creature (a healthy Patrick) even exists. I hope so, but seeing is believing.

That is a different matter, though players have had long careers with these sorts of issues, so only time will tell.

On the other hand, he should be 100% recovered from his groin/abdominal injuries and surgeries and at 22, close to his physical max. So IF he's finally past the concussion issues, he could be set for a breakout season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad