Nolan Patrick, Part 2

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Diminished means he is still having migraines though.

He will likely always have them. Most people who get diagnosed with this never make a full "recovery", you just learn to manage it to the point where they are less and less frequent. I consider myself relatively 'healed' based on where i was 10 or 15 years ago, because I have maybe one per month, and the severe ones are rare enough that i dont worry about them much. Modern medicine hasnt really identified a cure for chronic migraines which is why i said at the onset that expecting Patrick to ever make a full recovery, and play 82 games in a full season would be a fairly unrealistic expectation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Backstrom has had a pretty good career with them, only one season where he's missed serious time.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Backstrom has had a pretty good career with them, only one season where he's missed serious time.

Its not impossible by any stretch, it depends on each individual's case. Having a chronic migraine disorder is much different from breaking a finger where you have a relatively known recovery time. That said, I'm not expecting him to continue to miss seasons on end, but the likelihood of having your migraines work out perfectly and they dont fall on game nights is pretty slim. Ultimately, it'll depend on how well they can get them managed. I wouldnt want to do it, but depending on the severity, you could in theory play with a mild migraine.

Reactions: Larry44

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Aren't flashing lights often a migrane trigger? If so it would be a little tough to survive the pregame on ice production.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Diminished means he is still having migraines though.
You never just stop having migraines if you're a chronic sufferer

Aren't flashing lights often a migrane trigger? If so it would be a little tough to survive the pregame on ice production.
Triggers are notoriously case specific. A trigger for one person may not be a trigger for another. The trick is to identify triggers and limit exposure to them

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This is just off the assumption that the kid is still having issues, the severity of which we don’t know.

Id think long and hard about coming back. He’s got a long life ahead of him and the increased risks to that brain that come with playing hockey...

I don’t know.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I’m not feeling optimistic about Patrick this season, or any season.

In just under two years, they have not been able to address and manage his situation enough to allow him to play professional hockey.

A real bummer all around.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’m not feeling optimistic about Patrick this season, or any season.

In just under two years, they have not been able to address and manage his situation enough to allow him to play professional hockey.

A real bummer all around.

What are you talking about?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Didn't this start in the summer of 2019, so we're talking 18 months and they may have it under control.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
What are you talking about?

Oh, I was referring to the Carchidi tweet that things are definitely better, but there are still hurdles. There are still tests like NHL pace games, hits, arena lights, constant air travel, etc.

It has more to do with me having a down day - therefore everything is bad - than reality, I think.

I really do hope he comes back and can play a full season. That would be awesome for him, for the Flyers, and for the fans.

I feel better now - so I'm back to cautious optimism :laugh:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Didn't this start in the summer of 2019, so we're talking 18 months and they may have it under control.

Yeah, what I should have said is that it will have been almost two years since his last game (April 2, 2019).

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Of course, he'll have to beat out Frost and Kase. :sarcasm:
I would love Patrick to come back at full speed and for it STILL to be a fight for ice time with Frost and Kase. The more clever, supremely skilled and resourceful players, the better!

Reactions: flyersnorth

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If there's no AHL, Flyers have a bit of a dilemma, do you encourage players like Kase and Sushko to return for TC, or if you think there's no room on the roster do you encourage them to just play a full season in Europe and just return in the fall.

G - Couts -Voracek, Lindblom - Hayes - TK, JVR, Farabee, Raffl, NAK. 10 locks at forward
Now Sandin is on a one year deal, so you'd probably want him to come over to see if he's worth giving a new deal to next season.
But with Patrick, Frost and Bunnaman available at center, and Laczynski able to play there, is there room for anyone else. And Allison is a potential RW candidate. And Twaynski shouldn't be written off at age 22.

If Patrick can't play, that would open up a spot for Kase, now that he's shown he's a legitimate center.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If there's no AHL, Flyers have a bit of a dilemma, do you encourage players like Kase and Sushko to return for TC, or if you think there's no room on the roster do you encourage them to just play a full season in Europe and just return in the fall.

G - Couts -Voracek, Lindblom - Hayes - TK, JVR, Farabee, Raffl, NAK. 10 locks at forward
Now Sandin is on a one year deal, so you'd probably want him to come over to see if he's worth giving a new deal to next season.
But with Patrick, Frost and Bunnaman available at center, and Laczynski able to play there, is there room for anyone else. And Allison is a potential RW candidate. And Twaynski shouldn't be written off at age 22.

If Patrick can't play, that would open up a spot for Kase, now that he's shown he's a legitimate center.
You let Sushko and Kase play all year overseas. We have enough depth here where they won't be needed.

Let them stay in offensive roles and see if the confidence gained helps them take the next step in development

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Given Patrick's injury history coupled with this migraine issue, would it make sense at all to try him on the wing rather than center? I don't know if it is physically or mentally less demanding to play on the wing, but losing a center to injury seems to have a bigger impact than losing a winger. Maybe they try and turn him into a top six winger and have someone else fill one of the center spots? Idk, just spitballing here trying to get the most bang for the buck.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Given Patrick's injury history coupled with this migraine issue, would it make sense at all to try him on the wing rather than center? I don't know if it is physically or mentally less demanding to play on the wing, but losing a center to injury seems to have a bigger impact than losing a winger. Maybe they try and turn him into a top six winger and have someone else fill one of the center spots? Idk, just spitballing here trying to get the most bang for the buck.
I think it makes sense to explore. Especially if frost hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad