Nolan Patrick, Part 2

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Given Patrick's injury history coupled with this migraine issue, would it make sense at all to try him on the wing rather than center? I don't know if it is physically or mentally less demanding to play on the wing, but losing a center to injury seems to have a bigger impact than losing a winger. Maybe they try and turn him into a top six winger and have someone else fill one of the center spots? Idk, just spitballing here trying to get the most bang for the buck.

Supposedly, the current regime has considered him at wing.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You let Sushko and Kase play all year overseas. We have enough depth here where they won't be needed.

Let them stay in offensive roles and see if the confidence gained helps them take the next step in development
I agree. Sushko & Kase are not significant prospects & the Flyers aren’t going to want that many rookies in the bottom of the lineup. Especially a short season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
In his draft year I wondered if he’d ultimately end up at wing. His effort has been inconsistent, & obviously with his injury history, they may want to reduce his responsibilities. But I’m skeptical he’ll ever come back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just go back to Patrick's CHL season at age 17 (so it wasn't an overage artifact):
72g 41-61 102 +51, PO 21g 13-17 30 +19
(Hawryluk #32 in 2014, outscored him but was 19, turned 20 in January).

Reactions: Appleyard

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

Ofc... migraine issues might re-occur.

But he does have talent!

Even if just age 19 level this year would be a good 3C for the Flyers.

Good post. For some reason people treat Patrick as if he was a banged up twenty-eight year old vet. There aren’t that many miles on him. The hernias were not as serious as a shoulder or knee injury. Migraines are rough but there have been players who have worked their way through them. There’s no reason that NP won’t find a way to do it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

One of the things that really didn't help him was that Hextall was adamant that he enter the league as a center. It's fine when that works, but when he struggled so much (and had such awful linemates), they did a poor job insulating him and I think that affected him to start his second season. But if I'm recalling right, I believe they were starting to try him with Giroux since finding him wingers was a problem.

Considering they didn't make a move at the center position during free agency, they obviously showed they have some confidence that he's going to play.

I agree. Sushko & Kase are not significant prospects & the Flyers aren’t going to want that many rookies in the bottom of the lineup. Especially a short season.

I guess it depends on what significant prospects are, but I think they feel Sushko is someone they think is closer to the NHL than people think. They're not just running the clock on his rights. Doesn't seem like he's getting much ice time in the KHL though.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One of the things that really didn't help him was that Hextall was adamant that he enter the league as a center. It's fine when that works, but when he struggled so much (and had such awful linemates), they did a poor job insulating him and I think that affected him to start his second season. But if I'm recalling right, I believe they were starting to try him with Giroux since finding him wingers was a problem.

Considering they didn't make a move at the center position during free agency, they obviously showed they have some confidence that he's going to play.

I guess it depends on what significant prospects are, but I think they feel Sushko is someone they think is closer to the NHL than people think. They're not just running the clock on his rights. Doesn't seem like he's getting much ice time in the KHL though.

Sushko is not going to be more than a 4th liner if he makes it to the NHL. Not a significant piece of our future.

Reactions: DancingPanther

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I would like to see Voracek on Patrick's wing to do the heavy puck carrying. JvR rounding out this line wouldn't be awful, benefitting from 2 good passers.
There will be lots of options when Patrick's back in the lineup.

Giroux/Lindblom - Couturier - Voracek/Farabee/Konecny
Lindblom/JVR - Hayes - Konecny/Farabee
JVR/Lindblom/Giroux - Patrick - Farabee/Voracek/Konecny

If that's not a playoff caliber top 9, I don't know what is.

Reactions: flyersnorth

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Patrick can handle the migraines, this will be the healthiest he's been since he was 17.
Two years lost to the groin surgeries and aftermath, then rebuilding his core strength and dings.
At 22 he's physically mature, I'm sure has added strength and has two years of NHL playing experience.

If he's 100%, he'd be my candidate for breakout player this season

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately it's normal for people to say the right things and then contradict themselves with 95% of their actions. Fletcher usually sounds pretty good aaaaaaand then we end up with our coaches, Thompson, Grant, Braun, Hagg, Stewart, NAK on waivers, Frost/Farabee in the AHL, and so on.

He's right though. This is the perfect situation for Patrick to come back, when many players are rusty and everything is abnormal. He won't be the only guy adjusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stizzle

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Sounds like a man confident that Patrick will be good to go without tipping his hand too much.

Seriously, adding Lindblom and Patrick to this lineup is awesome!

Too bad for Frosty though...not sure where he fits at the moment if those two guys are in.
Taxi squadron

Which is a good thing. That much depth can only help.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad