Nolan Patrick, Part 2

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
If the both have the same impact on the game, assuming its a positive impact, then they should both be picked.

Don't disagree, but that's not really what I meant. I mean more for competing for the same spot/role on a team, or a rookie trying to win a job.

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The size thing isn't BS, it's one factor in what a player can do.

Certain aspects of the game give an advantage to the bigger, stronger man, fighting for the puck in corners and along the boards, clearing the crease, forechecking (love TK's grit, but it's hilarious watching him try and fore check big defensemen, he just bounces off).

All things held equal (which they rarely are), big is better than small.

Reactions: IronMarshal

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Don't disagree, but that's not really what I meant. I mean more for competing for the same spot/role on a team, or a rookie trying to win a job.

Even then, it should be based on how you are constructing your team and team needs. If you are going to slot somebody into a line or team that is going to play a speed or skill game you take the more skilled/faster player.

If both players are say 50 point players that play good defence but one is smaller but a better skater you want him on McDavid's wing, not Lucic even if he is also a 50 point player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think these predictions may be a little too optimistic.

I still fully expect Hakstol to underuse Patrick and I doubt he gets PP time on the top unit now that he has to fight for time with both Simmonds and JVR.

Ability-wise, I think he can do great this year, but I doubt he’ll get a real shot at it.

Just you watch... at some point Hakstol will do something stupid, like move Patrick down a line and put Raffl at C, in an effort to spread out the talent or some other idiotic excuse. Incredibly stupid, yes, but this is Hakstol we’re talkikg about. The guy who broke apart one of the best lines in the league, just before the playoffs (which the team doesn’t get close to making without this line), to make it “heavier”. Then put Filppula at 1C in elimination games in the playoffs.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick will play on all units and average close to 20 minutes a night.
He was playing 15+ minutes a night the last two months, and that was in less than ideal NHL shape as a rookie.
He averaged 16:38 in the playoffs.
Hakstol has no problem playing the high hockey IQ kids a lot of minutes. See Provorov.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Remember how last year everyone was high on Lindblom even saying he might outscore Patrick, because he is a natural fit for Schenns vacated pp spot?

Well this is what we had to look forward in our season opener:

Weise Filps Kony
Weal Patrick Simmer

And then hak graced us with Torgos heavy presence for 60 games straight lol.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Didn’t say they were tiny. But the point is that they’re not even close to the top of the league in size and yet they’re still the best in the game.

Best in skill = best in league

Best in size = nowhere close

I played in a golf tourney yesterday with the Jets 10 young players. Was SHOCKED how small they are in real life. Connor was the only one who Was bigger than I thought.

Size is way down the charts now

Reactions: Striiker and Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Remember how last year everyone was high on Lindblom even saying he might outscore Patrick, because he is a natural fit for Schenns vacated pp spot?

Well this is what we had to look forward in our season opener:

Weise Filps Kony
Weal Patrick Simmer

And then hak graced us with Torgos heavy presence for 60 games straight lol.
No other options....

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Is there any reason we stopped talking about boobs in this thread? I thought that was a productive derailment, one of our better ones.
image.jpg

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
The size thing is bs, it's playing style that matters to 200 hockey men. You know like Jvr vs Arvidsson kinda thing.

It's BS now....because they took hitting out of the game. The NHL will eventually become soccer on skates. No blood. No concussions. Leave your crease without repercussion.

Just all skill.

It'll be awesome.

Almost like ballet.... on ice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's plenty of hitting, same way there's still plenty of hitting in the NFL.

What they've taken out of hockey is the cheap shot designed to injure, the elbow to the head, smashing someone head first into the boards, slashing the hands, etc.

And refs let a lot of things go, I don't see a play in front of the net that doesn't involve cross checking, you just have to know when to stop to avoid drawing a whistle.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's BS now....because they took hitting out of the game. The NHL will eventually become soccer on skates. No blood. No concussions. Leave your crease without repercussion.

Just all skill.

It'll be awesome.

No blood or concussions? The horror.

I watch hockey for hits. Not for goals.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Just all skill.

It'll be awesome.

Not sure if serious.

Reactions: Freddy The Fog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad