Nolan Patrick, Part 2

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
I came for Mango. Where is M
About NP. Expecting a very nice year from him. Thoughts - Does he get more points than Nico this year?
giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nico should have more points, he has Hall on his wing and should be a bigger part of the Jersey PP compared to Patrick.
But I think Patrick will have more impact as an all around center in the Kopitar/Couts mold.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Nico should have more points, he has Hall on his wing and should be a bigger part of the Jersey PP compared to Patrick.
But I think Patrick will have more impact as an all around center in the Kopitar/Couts mold.

Nico is a very good two-way center. His defense could be just a good as Patricks.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nico is not going to be able to handle the big, physical centers like Couts or Patrick.
I'm not knocking Nico, he just has a different skill set than Patrick.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
It remains to be seen if Nico can handle bigger centers. Hell, it remains to be seen if Patrick can as well. I don't buy into the preconceived notion that his size will hinder him, or any player, from reaching his ultimate potential. Great players will find ways to make it work.

Reactions: Adtar02

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nico is not going to be able to handle the big, physical centers like Couts or Patrick.
I'm not knocking Nico, he just has a different skill set than Patrick.
Patrick is 1 inch taller than Nico and much faster. As you know from your past projections, players can add the weight/strength to their frame.

And fwiw, Datsyuk was 5'11 and 194.

Nico has a great stick which makes him dangerous on defense.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Patrick is 1 inch taller than Nico and much faster. As you know from your past projections, players can add the weight/strength to their frame.

And fwiw, Datsyuk was 5'11 and 194.

Nico has a great stick which makes him dangerous on defense.

Ultimately their defense will likely be similar. I honestly think Patrick has the potential to be a better all-around offensive player. Nico is more explosive and slick but Patrick might end up being the better playmaker and goal scorer.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Size might be the least important part of hockey.

It’s 2018. Smarts, skill, and speed are all far more important. If someone has all 4, great, but if not then you prioritize the other 3.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's always a balance, since all four qualities are relative, that is, a player might have a slight edge in one area and a slight deficit in another, it's not an either/or, well, except for a few players.

Nico has speed, Patrick is even or better in smarts and skill, and once he works out, will have a substantial edge in size.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I want to post it everyday (and for a while I did), I cant believe we landed a #2 pick in Nolan Patrick's draft year - and Nolan Patrick fell to that pick.
Hockey God's love us! We got 2nd in a draft where dropping from 2nd to 3rd is massive while Patrick wasn't too far off Hischier.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Smarts

Skills/Speed

Size

I agree that size is the least important area on which to focus, but I do think that it matters a bit more than this.

The closer a player within the typical NHL size (5'11"-6'2", 190 - 210 lbs) the less size matters. But the further away, particularly on the smaller size, the more it matters. Most players below 5'9" are elite in two of the three remaining categories.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I agree that size is the least important area on which to focus, but I do think that it matters a bit more than this.

The closer a player within the typical NHL size (5'11"-6'2", 190 - 210 lbs) the less size matters. But the further away, particularly on the smaller size, the more it matters. Most players below 5'9" are elite in two of the three remaining categories.

It matters if the player is under ~5'8''. Then that player needs to have a lot better speed/skills/smarts. But once you reach a certain point it falls far behind the other 3 factors.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad