Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wherever he pleases, and I think that's at RD. Defence pairings can be run very well on a dominant/subordinate basis. We can have Weber, Dahlin, and Petry as our 3 RD, and whoever is on the left I basically couldn't care less. Because of the relative strength of one element of the pairing, the pairing should work.

That said if he wants to give it a go on the left side, the obvious combination with Weber could be a lot of fun to watch.

I'm very interested to see how the young core shapes up in the next few years. Once we see how good (or bad) these young prospect are in a few years, we then can decide if we want to go all in and trade futures or keep the young core and add to it with Weber/Price trades. As it stands today, I have us in a 2 or 3 year window to figure out our young core while Price and Weber approach their mid 30's.

Paring #1: Mete looked good last night moving the puck in OT (3/3). Lets hope he matures even more in the next few years. He looks good when he is on his game but he can be pushed around in our own end. Mete/Weber is a great pairing.

Paring #2: There is a hole on the 2nd pairing LD with Petry. We got like a 8% shot at drafting Dahlin. It's a long shot but possible. What is plan B? Schlemko? Benn needs to be a spare starting next year.

Pairing #3: I like Alzner / Juulsen. Yes, Alzner is overpaid and signed to too much term but this could be a very good 3rd pairing if Juulsen can continue to improve.

- Brook (RD): Have a solid year as a 18 year old and started the year injured. A bit of inconsistency issues but the potential is there.

- Fleury (RD): Might be a steal with the 87th pick last year? Another solid year as a 18 year old.

- Walford (LD): After Mete, is he our best LD prospect? Boy we need help on the LD side! Not sure how good he can get but this season is a small progression from last year.

- Tyszka (LD): Having a solid year as a 18 year old who was picked 149th overall. Not resting my hopes he fills a hole on the top 4 LD side in the future on him though.

- Lernout (RD): I'm not expecting much from him and I hope he proves me wrong. Maybe he becomes a Pateryn type at best?

A top 2 center and top 4 LD is what we need to hit on in the next draft. It don't have to be with our top 10 pick but we need to do well with the 4- 2nd's. Draft two centers and two LD prospects with those picks.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What a difference between watching Juulsen in his first few games and watching Beaulieu back in the day........so obvious now that Beaulieu just never had it, Juulsen does!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Every detail counts. One of his body-hit check wasn't finalized as it should. That's prolongs his presence on the ice. In this action, the Canadiens have been dominated by the possession of the puck of the Flyers thereafter for a while of minutes. Juulsen is kinda the type of hockey player who learn in a quick way his mistakes to avoid repeating them for the next time.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
This kid is the real deal. Ideally, he becomes Vlasic lite which I'm getting more and more confident every time I watch him play.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I think Juulsen is a safe bet to be a #4/5 D. He's got the smarts and the skating, and a history of offensive prowess from his WHL days with Everett.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I like how Hudon backed him up so Juulsen knew he could drive in and be offensive. The only people who had doubt on Juulsen are the ones who think we can't draft and develop players. Scherbak was also called a "meh" prospect last year.

It's nice to see Scherbak, Juulsen, and Mete show promise this year! It's a positive sign. I think Hudon has played decent but I would like to see a bit more offense from him. Lets see how he does next year and if he can get about 40 pts.

Reactions: Tyson

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I'm very interested to see how the young core shapes up in the next few years. Once we see how good (or bad) these young prospect are in a few years, we then can decide if we want to go all in and trade futures or keep the young core and add to it with Weber/Price trades. As it stands today, I have us in a 2 or 3 year window to figure out our young core while Price and Weber approach their mid 30's.

Paring #1: Mete looked good last night moving the puck in OT (3/3). Lets hope he matures even more in the next few years. He looks good when he is on his game but he can be pushed around in our own end. Mete/Weber is a great pairing.

Paring #2: There is a hole on the 2nd pairing LD with Petry. We got like a 8% shot at drafting Dahlin. It's a long shot but possible. What is plan B? Schlemko? Benn needs to be a spare starting next year.

Pairing #3: I like Alzner / Juulsen. Yes, Alzner is overpaid and signed to too much term but this could be a very good 3rd pairing if Juulsen can continue to improve.

Seems reasonable but by that time Petry will be approaching the end of his contract so we'll have to hope that one of Juulsen/Brook/other develop into a 2nd pairing Dman.

I'm also not sold on Mete being a 1st pairing Dman - I think he's more of a 2nd pairing guy. By all means, we should play him in a position to gain experience and develop so I don't have any qualms with him playing with Weber, but I think ideally he'd be on the 2nd with Petry.

Third pairing looks solid. Alzner is expensive for the 3rd pairing but could be a good fit there developing Juulsen/Brook over the next few years.

I agree that we need to find an upgrade from Benn/Schlemko to play alongside Weber/Petry (Mete can play with one; we need an upgrade for the other). I suppose if we're rebuilding next year it doesn't matter, but I'm not sure we are.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Missed the game but saw a video of Barzal turning on the jets and flying by EN route to a goal.Did he look like that all night?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If Juulsen can play 18 minutes of good defensive hockey, can make a 1st pass, with his mobility then for sure he can be a no.4.

If he can add 25 to 30 points and carry the puck up ice and make good passes in the O Zone, then Juulsen can be a no.3.

I think his floor is a no.4. That could also be his ceiling but we will know that in 2 to 3 years.

So far so good.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Got caught flat footed by one of the NHL's most explosive skaters.

Really, Alzner hung him out to dry, he had no chance.

Might of been better for him to actually taken a penalty
Yeah, getting beat by Barzal isn't all that telling of his abilities

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he's played 35 games outside the WHL, I would wait and see before saying what he can be in terms of upside. He was always a safe bet to play in the NHL but the question is how will his offensive game translate. He killed it as a 17 year old with 52 pts in 68 games but the next 2 years he put up 62 pts in 112 games.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Got caught flat footed by one of the NHL's most explosive skaters.

Really, Alzner hung him out to dry, he had no chance.

Might of been better for him to actually taken a penalty

Yeah, I know Juulsen looked bad, but Barzal came into the zone at 90% full speed and fired those jets at the right time. Due to where he picked up that loose puck, Noah really had no chance there.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah, I know Juulsen looked bad, but Barzal came into the zone at 90% full speed and fired those jets at the right time. Due to where he picked up that loose puck, Noah really had no chance there.
Agreed - he had no chance, there was no way Juulsen could of prevented that from happening other than taking a hooking/tripping penalty, that was the only way he was going to stop Barzal.

Juulsen got caught flat footed because Alzner hung him out to dry.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Is it just me, or does Noah already look like a top 4 D? He’s miles ahead of any guy we have on the bottom pairing already at 21.

When he bulks up a little more, he’ll become a player.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I like how Hudon backed him up so Juulsen knew he could drive in and be offensive. The only people who had doubt on Juulsen are the ones who think we can't draft and develop players. Scherbak was also called a "meh" prospect last year.

It's nice to see Scherbak, Juulsen, and Mete show promise this year! It's a positive sign. I think Hudon has played decent but I would like to see a bit more offense from him. Lets see how he does next year and if he can get about 40 pts.

The fact that the Habs are out of the playoffs is the reason that the kids are playing or else Julien just like Therrien would be favoring his veterans.

Also indeed it was nice to see Hudon back up Juulsen there, just a shame that cement feet Pacioretty didn't back up Subban when he tried to do the same and hanging him out to dry.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Is it just me, or does Noah already look like a top 4 D? He’s miles ahead of any guy we have on the bottom pairing already at 21.

When he bulks up a little more, he’ll become a player.

We need to start giving our young guys more of a look earlier, especially when the vets are struggling. It's too bad preseason is so short. But anyways, sometimes they're more ready shortly into the season.

Juulsen and Scherbak probably could have made a difference earlier. But both were injured. And many feel McCarron and De la Rose being given too much of a chance too early took valuable development time in the AHL away from them.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The fact that the Habs are out of the playoffs is the reason that the kids are playing or else Julien just like Therrien would be favoring his veterans.

Also indeed it was nice to see Hudon back up Juulsen there, just a shame that cement feet Pacioretty didn't back up Subban when he tried to do the same and hanging him out to dry.
That's a key point when ranking our prospects. Having them rack up NHL games during a lost season is an artificial way to make their development look better than it is. If we're just counting how many NHL games our prospects have played, the Habs don't look too bad. Except our kids aren't here contributing to success; they're here as a response to failure. Some might become solid players, but there are no clear-cut stars coming up from our prospect pool.

Reactions: Captain Wolverine

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That's a key point when ranking our prospects. Having them rack up NHL games during a lost season is an artificial way to make their development look better than it is. If we're just counting how many NHL games our prospects have played, the Habs don't look too bad. Except our kids aren't here contributing to success; they're here as a response to failure. Some might become solid players, but there are no clear-cut stars coming up from our prospect pool.

Buffalo is something like top-3 in terms of drafted players with NHL games played. Not sure I'd call their drafting and development good.

Reactions: Lshap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad