Player Discussion Noah Hanifin

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
? I don't understand. The Barrie comparison I sorta understand, but the Edmonton part I don't fully understand.

A second pairing of Nurse/Hamilton behind Larsson/Klefbom should be effective. Even a Russell/Hamilton second pairing shouldn't be horrid. What we, Boston and Carolina are annoyed with regarding Hamilton is that we all expected him to step in as a #1. Hamilton has flashes of #1, but never seems to be showing consistency in being a guy who could be relied of as a #1. However, Colorado is in a situation where their d corps is a flaming mess of meh defensively IMO and it better score as much as possible to even stay afloat. It's like _allas Stars lite because it doesn't have the same firepower as the Stars.

However, Hamilton could start drowning in a top pairing role in Edmonton when injuries hit, but looking at that d corps right now (with injuries) what dman could actually keep that corps respectable on his own? I bet even Gio would falter within a few weeks due to over deployment (I read in a Peters interview he hid Gio's skates to keep him from doing optional skates so that he wouldn't be gassed for the games). The only guy I can think of who can run those insane hours requested of Hitch (near 30 every night) and stay relatively healthy (because he does it on a regular basis) is Doughty who has similar deployment in LA.

Karlsson and Burns also come to mind. But you are correct, very few can log half a game and be effective.

Reactions: Fig

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Dougie wouldn’t be a good fit in Edmonton whatsoever because they would deploy him as their number 1. Also they would need to move out major pieces to acquire him so I think it would be a disaster for a number of reasons. I hope they get him.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I actually always liked Dougie and think he was unfairly maligned here. Something wasn't working out though.

I hope he doesn't go to Edmonton- not because I think that will work (it definitely would not...) but because I actually like him and hope his career doesn't go down the drain so quickly. If he went to Edmonton I think it would probably be the last contract he gets in the league- he definitely would not do well with the media intensity and judgmental fans, and the team would certainly not be able to cover up any of his warts. The combination of nobody to help him and getting publicly trashed on a weekly basis would cripple his confidence.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If Dougie was maligned by some fans it was due to the perception that his compete level wasn't high enough; the fact that his brother was carried when he had no business being in the NHL; and the fact that people weren't thrilled with the Brodie/Hamonic pairing. That was on the coach, but people knew that Brodie could play with Gio at a high level. So when Dougie was traded there was momentary collective pause to absorb the moment and then onto the new guy. We all knew Hanifin was a 1st round pick and had played 3 years in the bigs already. We all hoped that we wouldn't miss Dougie because of that. We all found out pretty quick that the new guy has all the tools and a better compete level. The bonus was he fit in so well with another D we were all worried about - Hamonic.

So for me the lesson learned was that there is chemistry between D partners just like there is with forward units. Gully broke up the chemistry of Gio/Brodie to go with Gio/Hamilton and that worked. But he tried to force a Brodie/Hamonic tandem and that didn't work. So the answer was to re-unite Gio/Brodie and find someone to play with Hamonic. Mission accomplished with the 21 year old Hanifin.

Reactions: Migos and Mobiandi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually always liked Dougie and think he was unfairly maligned here. Something wasn't working out though.

I hope he doesn't go to Edmonton- not because I think that will work (it definitely would not...) but because I actually like him and hope his career doesn't go down the drain so quickly. If he went to Edmonton I think it would probably be the last contract he gets in the league- he definitely would not do well with the media intensity and judgmental fans, and the team would certainly not be able to cover up any of his warts. The combination of nobody to help him and getting publicly trashed on a weekly basis would cripple his confidence.

I was always a big Dougie fan when he was here. However when I heard about some of the comments made about him after he left, it put a bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like the Oilers and Dougie deserve each other.

The Oilers can overpay for Dougie and give him all the prime PP and top pairing minutes he can handle. Chia can add another former Bruin. Then we can just watch that ship sink.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I was always a big Dougie fan when he was here. However when I heard about some of the comments made about him after he left, it put a bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like the Oilers and Dougie deserve each other.

The Oilers can overpay for Dougie and give him all the prime PP and top pairing minutes he can handle. Chia can add another former Bruin. Then we can just watch that ship sink.

Problem is Carolina will only move him for a top six forward. Edmonton is pretty lacking in those too.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Dougie Hamilton was a CANCER in the Flames locker room so why are we talking about him and justifying how good or how bad he is on Hanifin's thread.

Hamilton is playing on the third pairing with Van Reimsdyk and some power play time. His time played in Carolina for the last 4 games has been 17:22, 14:22, 17:36, and 13:31. Hamilton has been demoted from the first pairing down to the last in only a half a season. It is clear he should never have been playing the minutes he was in Calgary and moreover the rumors of how bad he was for the dressing room in Boston and Calgary is almost certainly true. Hamilton is gone and lets leave it at that.

That said Hanifin has been a solid second pairing d-man and has the potential upside to become a first pairing stud. He skates so well and is becoming more and more confident with every game he plays here in Calgary and his point total is testament to that fact.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Dougie Hamilton was a CANCER in the Flames locker room so why are we talking about him

Where do you get off making serious statements like that when you have zero knowledge about the inner workings of the room? Not being an ultra-competitive player or having a different personality is far from being a cancer. Did you post similar sentiments when he was a Flame or have you just now decided to trash him once he's no longer on the team?

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Where do you get off making serious statements like that when you have zero knowledge about the inner workings of the room? Not being an ultra-competitive player or having a different personality is far from being a cancer. Did you post similar sentiments when he was a Flame or have you just now decided to trash him once he's no longer on the team?

He was actually the first on this site to comment on it before any of it was made public.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Dougie just played like he couldn't be bothered to give it his all. And that's not how the fans have come to know the Flames. Even when this team was bad, they were still putting in a shift and battling. He had to be moved.

It is funny how quickly there's been a 180 on Hamilton. Feels like yesterday when he was the hero and there was an internet-wide lynching of Brodie. And you know that these sentiments made to his circle somehow. If he'd have been the one moved, it would've made me embarrassed to be a Flames fan. Players with his character deserve a better sending off than that, Canadian market be damned

Last edited:
Reactions: Calculon and Migos

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Dougie wouldn’t be a good fit in Edmonton whatsoever because they would deploy him as their number 1. Also they would need to move out major pieces to acquire him so I think it would be a disaster for a number of reasons. I hope they get him.

I think I finally understand what the other poster was talking about regarding Barrie and Colorado.

I agree he wouldn't work great in Edmonton for the reasons of him being forced into a maligned position. The odd reason is that the way I suddenly understood that previous Barrie post was due to Russell. Dougie is a 2/4 that's always expected to play higher (1/3). Russell is a 4/5 who for whatever crazy reason has played as high as the number 2 on three clubs due to injury (Calgary, Dallas and now Edmonton).

IMO, a distinction needs to be made. Dougie is a very good player. He however is always fore casted into a great player, perhaps with tools he doesn't even have or are unlikely to develop. It's perhaps like hopping into a top model VW and wondering why it's not an Audi. For this reason, there's no reason to continue to hate Dougie. The relationship with him brought Lindholm and Hanifin to us.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm not going to repost the links because it's been posted enough, but Friedman reported that the players weren't happy with how Dougie responded to his brother getting waived and then claimed by the Coyotes. And management wasn't happy with Dougie's demands to be on the first powerplay unit or his refusal to pair up with someone other than Giordano when asked.

Depending on how one chooses to define 'lockerroom cancer', D. Hamilton can easily apply.

He's clearly a smart guy who likes doing things his own way. And it's not like he's necessary wrong on his opinions. But historically, strong individual personalities haven't worked out well with the NHL's be a team player and assimilate or die approach. Players play, coaches coach and managers manage and all that.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
It's frustrating because this guy has all the tools to be one of the best defensemen of his generation. A big, smooth skating, offensively gifted RHD who can get 45 points in his sleep. This guy is the type of player to be a top pairing defenseman for Team Canada at the Olympics. Those things don't grow on trees, and now it's potentially looking like he can be on his 4th team in 5 years. His stick work was awful with the amount of tripping, holding, slashing penalties he got. And it never really looked like he improved on that. I still remember that penalty he got in the last 2 minutes against the Ducks in game 2 in the playoffs, and how the announcers were ripping him after the game. I think if he had a different mentality and had more aggression, he's still on the Bruins as the heir apparent to Zdeno Chara.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

I have openly been critical of Hamilton since his second season in Calgary. There is nothing new in my narrative and my view is supported by several reports and anecdotes from those around the team. Treliving himself referred to issues in the dressing room and there would be changes. Treliving questioned some of the players ability to rise to the occasion and if they were truly engaged enough. The only core piece that moved was Dougie. Ferly was never a core piece and would not have been moved if the Flames would not have got the return they did. Treliving at a later date mentioned that he had been trying to quietly move Hamilton for over a year and a half.

Dougie is on his third team since he was drafted and there are visible signs that there is a rift forming in Carolina. So now on his third team there are similar rumors floating on all three teams. Essentially the rumors have been consistent in that Dougie acts like a prima Donna.

At what point do you call a spade a spade and just call it like it is. Dougie Hamilton is not a good team player and always puts himself before the team.

I will argue that if he does not turn things around in Carolina this year Dougie may find himself buried in the AHL until his contract is done. Out of the NHL before he is 30. He is one of those players that has turned into kryptonite that soon no GM will want to take a chance on wrecking their dressing room. His 26-30 point pace really puts him in a bad place because he does not have enough production for another GM to take a flier on him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I will argue that if he does not turn things around in Carolina this year Dougie may find himself buried in the AHL until his contract is done. Out of the NHL before he is 30. He is one of those players that has turned into kryptonite that soon no GM will want to take a chance on wrecking their dressing room. His 26-30 point pace really puts him in a bad place because he does not have enough production for another GM to take a flier on him.

giphy.gif

Dougie isn't a cancer in the locker room and 31 GMs will not chase him out of the league.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
It is funny how quickly there's been a 180 on Hamilton. Feels like yesterday when he was the hero and there was an internet-wide lynching of Brodie. And you know that these sentiments made to his circle somehow. If he'd have been the one moved, it would've made me embarrassed to be a Flames fan. Players with his character deserve a better sending off than that, Canadian market be damned

With all due respect, I can't see how you can earnestly make this comment in a thread that's full of folks wishing the worst possible fate on Dougie (whether that's AHL or the Oilers.)

Brodie did look like he stopped caring and gave up last season. I'm happy to eat crow on his turnaround, but there was solid reasoning for people being concerned. He did not put in the effort in 50% of games he played the two seasons before this one. Chalk it up to being depressed about the coach not listening to him, not playing him in the position he feels he deserves, or some personal matters to do with his family. (wait, aren't these the reasons we hate dougie too? Feeling entitled to a certain place in the roster and needing some extra support in personal matters?)
Not sure how we can say Brodie deserves to not be treated one way, then turn around and lump Hamilton as a lazy POS and locker room cancer.

Anyways, I'm ecstatic with the results of the trade. Not only has Lindholm turned out to be the best player in the deal, but Hanifin has really developed well this season. I personally wish Dougie all the best, and hope for his sake that he is not relegated to the frozen wastelands of central Alberta.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
With all due respect, I can't see how you can earnestly make this comment in a thread that's full of folks wishing the worst possible fate on Dougie (whether that's AHL or the Oilers.)

Brodie did look like he stopped caring and gave up last season. I'm happy to eat crow on his turnaround, but there was solid reasoning for people being concerned. He did not put in the effort in 50% of games he played the two seasons before this one. Chalk it up to being depressed about the coach not listening to him, not playing him in the position he feels he deserves, or some personal matters to do with his family. (wait, aren't these the reasons we hate dougie too? Feeling entitled to a certain place in the roster and needing some extra support in personal matters?)
Not sure how we can say Brodie deserves to not be treated one way, then turn around and lump Hamilton as a lazy POS and locker room cancer.

Anyways, I'm ecstatic with the results of the trade. Not only has Lindholm turned out to be the best player in the deal, but Hanifin has really developed well this season. I personally wish Dougie all the best, and hope for his sake that he is not relegated to the frozen wastelands of central Alberta.

I don’t wish that for Dougie, personally. However I do wish that on the Oilers.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Well in Brodie's case, having a family member dealing with MS is different than not having your sibling around. I do agree that Hamilton is getting too much hate though and everyone should just move on.

Reactions: Cyrano and Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Noah is quietly up to 3 goals and 20 assists in 44 games and plus-7. The top pairing of Gio/TJ have 56 points between them and the 2nd pairing of Hanny/Hammy have 34 points between them. That's a pretty good 1-2 punch.

Might contend for one of the top 5 second pairings in the NHL.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hanifin is still largely a work-in-progress, but there's lots to like there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad