Dec 9, 2017
'26 1st
'27 1st
Justin Sourdif
Jack Devine
Mike Benning
Steven Lorentz

For extended Hanifin

Is probably the best Florida could offer. I still don't know if that gets it done though.
Might want to look ar what mark stone with an extension was traded for. in the end rentals just don’t have much value and an extension doesn’t really change that in any way

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Might want to look ar what mark stone with an extension was traded for. in the end rentals just don’t have much value and an extension doesn’t really change that in any way
Stone returned a defenseman who at the time was one of the best prospects in hockey, and Stone didn't come with an extension. In Calgary it was reported that we wouldn't give up what was asked because they wouldn't let us talk to Stone ahead of time. My guess is Vegas immediately made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Stone returned a defenseman who at the time was one of the best prospects in hockey, and Stone didn't come with an extension. In Calgary it was reported that we wouldn't give up what was asked because they wouldn't let us talk to Stone ahead of time. My guess is Vegas immediately made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I do think it’s fair to think that if you are getting an NHL ready top prospect it’s not also with a first, tho. That never happens.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I do think it’s fair to think that if you are getting an NHL ready top prospect it’s not also with a first, tho. That never happens.
Rarely, but really it depends on the market. Which is determined by a number of things including the number of teams bidding for a player, the way teams value picks in the upcoming draft, the numbers of buyers and sellers, and of course the position of the player. If you haven't noticed, defensemen tend to return more than forwards.

This year, there seems to be more teams rumored to be buying than usual, especially defensemen and 2024 is not seen as a particularly deep draft. It is also an unusual situation that 1 team arguably has the 2 best pending UFA defensemen.

Another thing to consider, is the Bruins recently lost Lindholm to injury, so they may be more desperate to add a defenseman now.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
What is the best way to showcase yourself before the trade deadline?

Hanifin vs the Oilers: Yes.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This return going to be great
I wouldn’t want him as a rental, if crazy price.
Am sure many are thinking the same.

Think he goes to a team that he wants to sign with. How many out there? Probably 1 or 2.

Do they give a bloated amount to get first dibs? Doubts

I’ll eat my hat if it’s much more than 1st + meh Roster player + mid prospect.

Which isn’t bad

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I wouldn’t want him as a rental, if crazy price.
Am sure many are thinking the same.

Think he goes to a team that he wants to sign with. How many out there? Probably 1 or 2.

Do they give a bloated amount to get first dibs? Doubts

I’ll eat my hat if it’s much more than 1st + meh Roster player + mid prospect.

Which isn’t bad

That's his price as a standard rental which every playoffs team would probably do with retention

Price goes up from there. And ya probably only two or three teams willing to pay more but you only need one

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
That's his price as a standard rental which every playoffs team would probably do with retention

Price goes up from there. And ya probably only two or three teams willing to pay more but you only need one
I hope there’s a bidding war and my team isn’t in it haha

Although he’d be a good add, I don’t think we have enough to give a kings ransom.

1st + 1st + dump + prospect.

Do it Boston !

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You realize that defenseman was viewed at the time as an elite prospect right? It would be like trading for Stankoven right now. The notion that Stone was moved for nothing is false. We've seen 4-5 type defensemen moved for more than a 1st numerous times. A top pairing guy is worth more.

What is the best way to showcase yourself before the trade deadline?

Hanifin vs the Oilers: Yes.
He's been really good the last 3 seasons. His first couple in Calgary he was a below average to ok 2nd pairing guy. He really took a step in his 23 year old season like a lot of guys do.

Reactions: Blueston

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Yeah, if Lundell was on the table the trade would be done. It’s going to a 1st plus some prospects.
Lundell gotta a lot of hype after the 21-22 and he earned it but he's been trending down since. He's young and he may very well find that form but it's not usually a great sign when players decline for two straight years and as a trade piece a gm will use that and treat him like a 15 goal 40 point 3C, that's just the fact of it.

As for the return, the flames are really not that bad of a team and definitely don't need to blow it up and go scorched earth imo.

Not a flames fan but even after trading Tanev and Hanifin, they still have 3 good Dmen along with some good forwards and their youth like Zary, Wolfe, Dhuer, Prosposil and Pelletier (best last name ever) is a promising young group.

I think the team that offers the type of package that Vancouver did or even a straight up hockey trade.
Detroit comes to mind as does Buffalo if he would re-sign there.

I'm fascinated by what pieces the flames add between Tanev, Marky, Hanifin. The two latter should be able to fetch similar to the Lindholm deal and I could see Conroy using those picks to aquire further along prospects/ roster player similar to the Hronek deal from teams in full re-build.

/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lundell gotta a lot of hype after the 21-22 and he earned it but he's been trending down since. He's young and he may very well find that form but it's not usually a great sign when players decline for two straight years and as a trade piece a gm will use that and treat him like a 15 goal 40 point 3C, that's just the fact of it.

As for the return, the flames are really not that bad of a team and definitely don't need to blow it up and go scorched earth imo.

Not a flames fan but even after trading Tanev and Hanifin, they still have 3 good Dmen along with some good forwards and their youth like Zary, Wolfe, Dhuer, Prosposil and Pelletier (best last name ever) is a promising young group.

I think the team that offers the type of package that Vancouver did or even a straight up hockey trade.
Detroit comes to mind as does Buffalo if he would re-sign there.

I'm fascinated by what pieces the flames add between Tanev, Marky, Hanifin. The two latter should be able to fetch similar to the Lindholm deal and I could see Conroy using those picks to aquire further along prospects/ roster player similar to the Hronek deal from teams in full re-build.

/
The Flames are a team with a really excellent supporting cast. They just don't have the 3 star players everyone else has. Right now we have 5 good defensemen. That'll be down to 3 soon though. We have excellent 2nd and 3rd lines. We have excellent goalies and goalie depth. But where is the 1st line on this team? We don't have a single 1st line player. We also don't have any young guys who project like even star possibility except Wolf, again in net.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Flames are a team with a really excellent supporting cast. They just don't have the 3 star players everyone else has. Right now we have 5 good defensemen. That'll be down to 3 soon though. We have excellent 2nd and 3rd lines. We have excellent goalies and goalie depth. But where is the 1st line on this team? We don't have a single 1st line player. We also don't have any young guys who project like even star possibility except Wolf, again in net.

I don’t view Huberdeau as an irredeemableas a first liner. He just is a complementary player that needs more talent around him to be complementary to.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don’t view Huberdeau as an irredeemableas a first liner. He just is a complementary player that needs more talent around him to be complementary to.
We see him differently. The Huberdeau of Florida is not the Huberdeau of Calgary. He gets almost all offensive zone starts, tons of PP time. We've tried him with 4 different centers and 8 different off wingers. He's been better lately, but better means worse than Blake Coleman, Connor Zary or Yegor Sharangovich. I don't think anyone would call those guys top line players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad