Friedman: Noah Hanifin will not re-sign in Calgary

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bruins made a lot of sense in terms of Hanifin himself.

I don't think you need to complicate things, give us a first in 2025 if conditions are met for the OTT/DET deal you guys made for Bertuzzi.
Then give us one of your top 3 prospects and we'll call it a day.

Hanifin will sign with Boston for 8 years, you guys get a top pairing defender entering/in his prime for the next 8 seasons at likely a good cap rate by the tail end. Hanifin was a good soldier in Calgary and I truly hold no ill-will to him wanting to leave (why wouldn't he? we're not going to be competitive for another 2-3 years).

Calgary gets two more pieces to keep the rebuild moving forward (don't tell management it's a rebuild).

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
If Conroy wants to keep nickel and dimeing every trade he is going to see other GM's just back off and the offers are going to get worse for the Flames.

• Haha
Reactions: Rubi

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I'm pretty sure at the time, people were laughing at what Tampa paid for Goodrow.

They stopped laughing when they saw what he did for Tampa. But the point still stands. And it's also kind of comical how many of those guys no longer play for the team. And yes, we both know why, you don't need to get defensive and explain salary cap nonsense to me.

I'm glad you forgot about the JT Miller trade. It's easy to focus on the good and just ignore the brutal.
brutal jt miller trade that lead to back to back cups wow how will we survive. that 1st got us coleman who was 10 times the player miller ever was for us. and kind of funny how you act like jt miller is some amazing piece when less than a year ago canucks were desperately trying to get rid of him

Bond

May 10, 2012
If Conroy wants to keep nickel and dimeing every trade he is going to see other GM's just back off and the offers are going to get worse for the Flames.
I honestly don’t even think he nickled and dimed Jersey. I think Edwards set the cost of retention prohibitively high

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
No, I more meant that you are giving Seravelli too much credit. He is the only one reporting this and Friedman doesn’t agree lol. I think it’s more Hanifin wants Boston and Florida to bid up and is using his agent to do so.
I think we all feel like Friedman, and that’s his thought process too. We also know sometimes Frank stretches things. It’s how these guys say things, we have to either read into, or choose not to. No manager is going to ignore it though. They just can’t. Too much is on the line to do so. He said he’s “been told by teams.” Not that he “believes.” Friedman is saying “he believes” it makes sense.

Far too many times on this site, someone goes with something a Friedman or Dredger, or even Frank say, when they’re really just giving opinion. That’s not the case here. He said he’s been “told by teams.” So other managers have to look into that.

It’s why I don’t care for these insiders a whole lot. They imply things they have nothing to substantiate. In this situation though, I don’t think it would stop someone like Lou or Yzerman from pursuing him. They will want to have a conversation with Hanifin or his agent though. A much deeper one than asking if the player will give them a chance to resign him. It’s now, “is there truth to the Tampa thing?”

They’ll wanna know that answer now because of Frank’s report. They won’t care if another insider has a different view.

It will come out now. That’s for sure. We’ll know by the return.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I honestly don’t even think he nickled and dimed Jersey. I think Edwards set the cost of retention prohibitively high
I think if retention price was the issue then its far more likely jersey was just being cheap. If the ask to retain was so outrageous from the flames side they could've easily gotten a 3rd team involved for retention purposes and pay the "lower price"

Reactions: LynnLoins

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins made a lot of sense in terms of Hanifin himself.

I don't think you need to complicate things, give us a first in 2025 if conditions are met for the OTT/DET deal you guys made for Bertuzzi.
Then give us one of your top 3 prospects and we'll call it a day.

Hanifin will sign with Boston for 8 years, you guys get a top pairing defender entering/in his prime for the next 8 seasons at likely a good cap rate by the tail end. Hanifin was a good soldier in Calgary and I truly hold no ill-will to him wanting to leave (why wouldn't he? we're not going to be competitive for another 2-3 years).

Calgary gets two more pieces to keep the rebuild moving forward (don't tell management it's a rebuild).

Just trying to grok the fact that Nonis came out and viewed the NHL roster for three games in a row when none of the top three prospects were playing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just trying to grok the fact that Nonis came out and viewed the NHL roster for three games in a row when none of the top three prospects were playing.

By prospects, I don't mean non-NHL guys.
Lohrei and Poitras are playing in the NHL already, but would easily be considered Boston's best prospects if they were playing in the AHL of CHL.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
By prospects, I don't mean non-NHL guys.
Lohrei and Poitras are playing in the NHL already, but would easily be considered Boston's best prospects if they were playing in the AHL of CHL.

Right, Poitras, Lorhei and Lysell. Lorhei and Lysell were in Providence when Nonis was here. Poitras was and is on LTIR. Who was he looking at for three straight games? I don’t think he even made his way down to Providence to see Lorhei and Lysell, but could be wrong, but he was looking at the NHL roster.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Right, Poitras, Lorhei and Lysell. Lorhei and Lysell were in Providence when Nonis was here. Poitras was and is on LTIR. Who was he looking at for three straight games? I don’t think he even made his way down to Providence to see Lorhei and Lysell, but could be wrong, but he was looking at the NHL roster.
Stars played Dallas and Kings I think in that time frame as well right? Might have been scouting the opponents as well as Boston

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think this stuff gets overblown. Was he there to watch? Or there to have in-person discussions and took in the game at the same time? Or maybe they've been given a choice of cap dumps and are looking at those players.

It should be mentioned, literally every team involved in that stretch, including the Bruins, the Flames face right away.

Also Dallas has been linked to both Hanifin and Tanev, the Kings would make sense as a team looking at them too, and I wouldn't even write off Seattle looking at Hanifin if he's willing to extend.

Plenty of reasons to be in Boston for those 3 games

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think this stuff gets overblown. Was he there to watch? Or there to have in-person discussions and took in the game at the same time? Or maybe they've been given a choice of cap dumps and are looking at those players.

It should be mentioned, literally every team involved in that stretch, including the Bruins, the Flames face right away.

Also Dallas has been linked to both Hanifin and Tanev, the Kings would make sense as a team looking at them too, and I wouldn't even write off Seattle looking at Hanifin if he's willing to extend.

Plenty of reasons to be in Boston for those 3 games

Maybe, I don’t know how the flames do it, but I don’t think Boston sends its AGM to prescout opponents.

My money is on DeBrusk coming back in the deal as part of making it more of a retool style deal is on the table.

Reactions: Blueston

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Maybe, I don’t know how the flames do it, but I don’t think Boston sends its AGM to prescout opponents.

My money is on DeBrusk coming back in the deal as part of making it more of a retool style deal is on the table.
When Conroy was AGM he said he liked to do some of everything, including scouting opponents.

Honestly the only thing surprising about Nonis scouting those 3 games is that he wasn't there to scout Tampa the game before.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I assume so. A cap dump that can be rehabbed would be perfect for them I think

Eh, most of the time guys only get held out closer to the deadline
Most of the time guys keep playing until closer to the TDL. But with Hanifin apparently saying he’s not signing with the Flames maybe it’s prudent to sit him until he’s moved? Didn’t the Coyotes do this with Chychrun last year? The assets are just too important to risk. Look at the Pens now with JG.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Calgary has no need for more wingers - especially left shot wingers. Debrusk makes little sense.

If anything it was probably for Grzelcyk as the cap component coming back in such a deal that could be a potential 2-3 year stop gap for Calgary. Maybe Geekie as we lack centers and right handed shots.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Calgary has no need for more wingers - especially left shot wingers. Debrusk makes little sense.

If anything it was probably for Grzelcyk as the cap component coming back in such a deal that could be a potential 2-3 year stop gap for Calgary. Maybe Geekie as we lack centers and right handed shots.

He is on his third season as primarily a RW, but you know your team better than I

Bond

May 10, 2012

I think there was some roster players they were looking at that they could possibly rehab like Kuzmenko on the Bruins, Stars, and Kings

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Debrusk is a pending UFA who Calgary likely wouldn’t retain, they’d have to flip him again prior to the deadline. Can’t see him being part of the deal

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think if retention price was the issue then its far more likely jersey was just being cheap. If the ask to retain was so outrageous from the flames side they could've easily gotten a 3rd team involved for retention purposes and pay the "lower price"
No team is going to retain for 2 and a half years for a third party. I’m going to stick with the I’ll believe it when I see it on retention from the Flames.

Reactions: Blueston

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
No team is going to retain for 2 and a half years for a third party. I’m going to stick with the I’ll believe it when I see it on retention from the Flames.
Then why are we retaining if no other teams are willing? Clearly that sounds like it should be an expensive retention comp then. The talks were pieces for markstrom was agreed to but rentention couldn't. If jersey is willing to pay fair comp for the compensation then the deal would be done already. If we were "asking too much for the retention", then pay the mkt value for retention else where. The fact that no other parties has picked up on it tells you jersey isnt willing to pay fair value for it. Teams have eaten bad contracts for 2 years before.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Then why are we retaining if no other teams are willing? Clearly that sounds like it should be an expensive retention comp then. The talks were pieces for markstrom was agreed to but rentention couldn't. If jersey is willing to pay fair comp for the compensation then the deal would be done already. If we were "asking too much for the retention", then pay the mkt value for retention else where. The fact that no other parties has picked up on it tells you jersey isnt willing to pay fair value for it. Teams have eaten bad contracts for 2 years before.
It’s so much different retaining to move a player on your own team than retaining to help another team. Point me to one example where a third party team retained on a contract for two years in a three team trade. The Flames have retained on a single contract but have bought out multiple players and fired multiple coaches. Edwards has some philosophical opposition to it

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
It’s so much different retaining to move a player on your own team than retaining to help another team. Point me to one example where a third party team retained on a contract for two years in a three team trade. The Flames have retained on a single contract but have bought out multiple players and fired multiple coaches. Edwards has some philosophical opposition to it
Thats because theres barely any multi year retentions to begin with. Whats the difference between you retaining a contract 3m for 2 years for a 1st and taking on 3m contract for 2 years for a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad