Friedman: Noah Hanifin will not re-sign in Calgary

Bond

May 10, 2012
Thats because theres barely any multi year retentions to begin with. Whats the difference between you retaining a contract 3m for 2 years for a 1st and taking on 3m contract for 2 years for a 1st.
You can only retain on a max of three contracts. It handcuffs a team

Reactions: Blueston

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
You can only retain on a max of three contracts. It handcuffs a team
How? if you are compensated for it. You can use a slot for half a yr and get a 3rd/4th or use it for 2 and get a 1st. It doesnt handcuff anything because theres a growing rewards based on amount and length. It doesnt handcuff anything if your goal is to use it anyway

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Our "insider" on the other site is saying he may be going to Florida.
That's been floating around, but idk how we'd beat that Bruins offer. Unless we're trading Lundell or Samoskevich, either of which would be a mistake imo. Zito may be trying to get creative and offering multiple future 1sts, 2026 and 2027, plus a prospect. Something like that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I’m sure Flames fans after that one understand why Bruins fans aren’t jumping for joy at the idea of 1st+Lorhei+.
A trade involving a guy like Hanifin should be painful for both sides. Less painful for us because we know he's not coming back, but it still sucks to move him.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
That's been floating around, but idk how we'd beat that Bruins offer. Unless we're trading Lundell or Samoskevich, either of which would be a mistake imo. Zito may be trying to get creative and offering multiple future 1sts, 2026 and 2027, plus a prospect. Something like that.
He didn't provide that information. Just that talks have gotten more serious over the past 4 days.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hanifin is a top 20ish D man in the league. Is that really a mistake?

We all fall in love with our own players but Hanifin is by far the best player in the deal

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Has he told anybody that? I've heard that he enjoys playing golf and would love to live somewhere that he can enjoy a relaxing game of golf when he's not at the rink... so definitely somewhere warmer than Calgary. I'm no Boston weather expert but I'm not sure if Boston fills that particular bill.
It hasn’t snowed here in like 8 years.

Bruins aren’t anywhere this year, not worth giving up any assets when they can sign him this summer.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yes but Samoskevich or Lundell are young, still have a lot of upside, and are cost-controlled for years to come.
Yeah, if Lundell was on the table the trade would be done. It’s going to a 1st plus some prospects.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, if Lundell was on the table the trade would be done. It’s going to a 1st plus some prospects.
'26 1st
'27 1st
Justin Sourdif
Jack Devine
Mike Benning
Steven Lorentz

For extended Hanifin

Is probably the best Florida could offer. I still don't know if that gets it done though.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Yes but Samoskevich or Lundell are young, still have a lot of upside, and are cost-controlled for years to come.
Hanifin is 27. That’s still a pretty good age for a D. He’s played a ton of NHL games so it’s fair to forget that, but I’d argue this has been his best year in the NHL yet even though he won’t match 21-22 production. There could still be a tiny bit of development to be squeezed out there. Obviously not the potential you hope to see out of a prospect, but this isn’t a situation where it’s a 32 year old rental.

He’s a 27 year old, long term piece that slots right in as #2 on all the teams that are in on him. If hes going to re-sign with the acquiring team, next to no chance they acquire him without a piece of the Lundell, Samoskevich, Poitras, Lohrei level.

Maybe I’m overvaluing him, but the Flames want to be competitive by the time the new arena is built. Those type of young players mean more to them than a ‘26 or ‘27 late first.

I’d hope they learned from the last sell off of Iginla and Bouwmeester.

Bond

May 10, 2012
He’s a 27 year old, long term piece that slots right in as #2 on all the teams that are in on him. If hes going to re-sign with the acquiring team, next to no chance they acquire him without a piece of the Lundell, Samoskevich, Poitras, Lohrei level.

Maybe I’m overvaluing him, but the Flames want to be competitive by the time the new arena is built. Those type of young players mean more to them than a ‘26 or ‘27 late first.

Maybe they get Samoskevich but rentals rarely return young players that are already on the NHL roster. Their best chance at an NHL player is getting what they feel is the best prospect like with the Lindholm trade.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Maybe they get Samoskevich but rentals rarely return young players that are already on the NHL roster. Their best chance at an NHL player is getting what they feel is the best prospect like with the Lindholm trade.
Difference seems like Lindholm was always going to be viewed as a pure rental, whereas Hanifin should be viewed as a long term piece by the acquiring team, and I would imagine that the Flames allow them to talk extension first

Bond

May 10, 2012
Difference seems like Lindholm was always going to be viewed as a pure rental, whereas Hanifin should be viewed as a long term piece by the acquiring team, and I would imagine that the Flames allow them to talk extension first
Even then. The Hampus Lindholm trade is probably the template to expect. A 1st and two seconds.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Hanifin is 27. That’s still a pretty good age for a D. He’s played a ton of NHL games so it’s fair to forget that, but I’d argue this has been his best year in the NHL yet even though he won’t match 21-22 production. There could still be a tiny bit of development to be squeezed out there. Obviously not the potential you hope to see out of a prospect, but this isn’t a situation where it’s a 32 year old rental.

I understand he's not a 32 year old rental, but Lundell has already been a .5ppg producing forward, he's only 23, and he's a potential future Selke-candidate(once he starts scoring more points). He's been coming on offensively lately though, which makes me think it's impossible he's part of this. With a little more development, and taking on top 6 duties in a year or two, he could become a real solid top 6 NHL forward in a short time, and probably will. He's above Poitras, Lohrei, and Samoskevich.

Again, I get Hanifin is a real good player, and that's why I'd like the Cats to acquire him, but everyone knows the Flames have to trade Hanifin, and I find it very hard they will get a young player the caliber of Lundell.

Reactions: Panteras

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I understand he's not a 32 year old rental, but Lundell has already been a .5ppg producing forward, he's only 23, and he's a potential future Selke-candidate(once he starts scoring more points). He's been coming on offensively lately though, which makes me think it's impossible he's part of this. With a little more development, and taking on top 6 duties in a year or two, he could become a real solid top 6 NHL forward in a short time, and probably will. He's above Poitras, Lohrei, and Samoskevich.

Again, I get Hanifin is a real good player, and that's why I'd like the Cats to acquire him, but everyone knows the Flames have to trade Hanifin, and I find it very hard they will get a young player the caliber of Lundell.

The Flames will only get a player of Lundell's status, if Hanifin is signed.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Even then. The Hampus Lindholm trade is probably the template to expect. A 1st and two seconds.
Lets get this one right tho it wasn’t just a 1st and 2 seconds for Lindholm there was a cap dump and low end prospect with a 50% retain contract

Lorhei or Portias is way better than Vaakanainen so figure that into offers if you think they’re involved at all.

Reactions: wintersej

Bond

May 10, 2012
Lets get this one right tho it wasn’t just a 1st and 2 seconds for Lindholm there was a cap dump and low end prospect with a 50% retain contract

Lorhei or Portias is way better than Vaakanainen so figure that into offers if you think they’re involved at all.
Yeah, I was talking the value piece of the transaction. I'd take Lohrei or Poitras easily over a couple of seconds and don't think they would be offered.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I agree with what you’re saying it’s just more that Florida doesn’t have the picks or prospects to match what other teams will offer in terms of draft capital so it’s tough to see what they’d be putting on the table in order for Calgary to move Hanifin there

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Well to some extent that trade will be used as a comparable but Lindholm was also coming off three injury riddled seasons of so-so play. John Moore was also not your typical cap dump. His last professional game ever played was over a month prior to that deal after hardly playing hockey for two years prior to that. He was clearly an LTIR dump which is different.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I agree with what you’re saying it’s just more that Florida doesn’t have the picks or prospects to match what other teams will offer in terms of draft capital so it’s tough to see what they’d be putting on the table in order for Calgary to move Hanifin there
Yeah, in the end I think it falls apart.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well to some extent that trade will be used as a comparable but Lindholm was also coming off three injury riddled seasons of so-so play. John Moore was also not your typical cap dump. His last professional game ever played was over a month prior to that deal after hardly playing hockey for two years prior to that. He was clearly an LTIR dump which is different.

It was not at all clear at the time Moore was done.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m sure Flames fans after that one understand why Bruins fans aren’t jumping for joy at the idea of 1st+Lorhei+.
Bruins should not include Lohrei - he’s going to be a game changer (eventually and sooner rather then later)

I would be surprised if he’s traded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad