Seravalli: Noah Hanifin is holding the Calgary Flames hostage in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
No, you said he really took off this year. That's simply not true. If data doesn't agree with your feelings it's not the data that's wrong. Canada is the most knowledgeable hockey market on the planet by miles. It would be like watching High School football and mocking Texans opinions on the subject.

You thinking Lundell and Bourque are realistic in returns for Hanifin show you aren't knowledegeable about this right now

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This may be a controversial take to some north of the border here but its not exactly hard to convince someone to move from calgary to south florida. Not just athletes but just humans in general
It wouldn't be hard to convince me man. Alberta is the best place in Canada by miles, but I'd way rather live in one of the state tax free states. Unless I was a hockey player. I'd rather play somewhere hockey matters. But most guys in the league just want to be left alone.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You thinking Lundell and Bourque are realistic in returns for Hanifin show you aren't knowledegeable about this right now
I directly said Lundell would be my target. Bourque is getting that Stankoven bump still. He's a middle six NHL center with size issues. He's far from the elite prospect people paint him as. Stankoven is the driver. Lundell is a bottom 6 C right now. I absolutely think Hanifin is more valuable than either player in a vacuum. His willingness to only sign in Florida is effecting his value here. A top pairing all situations defender who can play 25 minutes a night is more valuable than either guy. Hanifin will return a 1st, prospect and player even as a rental. Wait and see.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The way this is worded makes it sound more nefarious than it actually is.

Good players are worth more with extensions in place than as rentals. A player doesn't have to sign an extension with a team they don't want to sign with. That acts as a NTC by proxy.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
What does that have to do with Hanifin?
Just observing that it's possible a player would sandbag or not report or not play with full enthusiasm if he's of that mental ilk. We've seen many guys lay down on the job and half aas it over the years. Just a generic possibility not necessarily indigenous only to Hanifin

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Lightning don't have much to offer and shouldn't.

2025 2nd and a middling prospect, we just aren't in a position to make a splashy move
They do. It's just whether they choose to pay up or not. I think Jack Thompson and some picks will get the job done, and we know JBB's opinion on picks.

Do they move Thompson? No. But would that be a piece that Calgary would want? Abso-f***ing-lutely.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm not sure about that. Kane made it clear to Black Hawks last year that if he didn't go to Rangers, he would just pack it in for the season, go home, and start his injury recovery.
Apples and oranges.

Kane had already made his nut and was just hanging around for a cameo. He also had injuries the kept him off the ice for a good chunk of the next season.

Hanifin is still in his prime income-earning years and has every reason to maximize his value.

Reactions: JKG33

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Even ignoring the Serravelli clickbait statement, I wonder how much of an actual difference it will make between rental Hanifin and re-signed Hanifin.

As a rental, he is likely to get a 1st round pick, a top (not franchise-level of course, but one of the best prospects in an organization) + roster player coming the other way. That's basically the minimum. He should probably get a bit more as a rental. What does a re-signed Hanifin look like? An extra 1st round pick? Probably not. Maybe another 2nd? A 2nd and another good (b or c) type of prospect? I don't know.

Hanifin is a very good #2 minute-muncher who is very durable. Moves the puck exceptionally well, skates at an elite level, has great size and reach, and he regularly plays against the top players. He is only 27, and still getting better (believe it or not). That's why the Flames wanted to re-sign him rather than trade him (and I agree). He wants to go, so that's ok too - whether as a rental or a re-sign, Flames should do well in this trade.

I know there is speculation that it is only a few teams that he is willing to re-sign to. He holds an 8 team NTC. I imagine that all the Canadian teams are on it. Then add Buffalo (most likely) since Eichel is a close friend. Maybe Arizona since everyone has question marks with that arena, as well as questions about where they might end up moving to. That's 8 teams already. The NTC is basically meaningless during this trade deadline - though I guess it does depend on when he had to turn it in.

He will go to the highest bidder, whether that's a team that is looking at him as a rental only, or interested in re-signing him. Of course the re-signing team should be more of a return, but with Hanifin's camp saying where he is willing to re-sign or not, it will lower that market closer to the pure rental market, but it should still be a great market for the best defencemen available.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
That's a terrible title. If they didn't want him to have the power of a NTC then they shouldn't have given him one.
media is pissed they do not have more trades to talk about. The player has the right to not get traded to certain teams and he is a UFA, so he has the right to tell teams if traded for, will he consider signing with them. So people just want to treat players like pieces of meat

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
They do. It's just whether they choose to pay up or not. I think Jack Thompson and some picks will get the job done, and we know JBB's opinion on picks.

Do they move Thompson? No. But would that be a piece that Calgary would want? Abso-f***ing-lutely.
Our team has been horrible this year

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
was there a credible source that said hanifin only wants to go to florida or tampa? guess i missed that.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Apples and oranges.

Kane had already made his nut and was just hanging around for a cameo. He also had injuries the kept him off the ice for a good chunk of the next season.

Hanifin is still in his prime income-earning years and has every reason to maximize his value.
Fair enough. That's why I prefaced my initial thought by saying I'm not sure...I have known some athletes in various sports to be smug enough to think a small sample size after a trade won't matter in the overall picture

They feel that 25 games after a trade can be washed away as a "tough adjustment"

I guess every case is different

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
come on home to Boston... We can give you Carlo... Gryzlyck too if you want. heck I'd consider throwing in Debrusk. *whistles and walks away*
Brillant, absolutely brilliant, I say that with sarcasm dripping from my mouth......

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Even ignoring the Serravelli clickbait statement, I wonder how much of an actual difference it will make between rental Hanifin and re-signed Hanifin.

As a rental, he is likely to get a 1st round pick, a top (not franchise-level of course, but one of the best prospects in an organization) + roster player coming the other way. That's basically the minimum. He should probably get a bit more as a rental. What does a re-signed Hanifin look like? An extra 1st round pick? Probably not. Maybe another 2nd? A 2nd and another good (b or c) type of prospect? I don't know.

Hanifin is a very good #2 minute-muncher who is very durable. Moves the puck exceptionally well, skates at an elite level, has great size and reach, and he regularly plays against the top players. He is only 27, and still getting better (believe it or not). That's why the Flames wanted to re-sign him rather than trade him (and I agree). He wants to go, so that's ok too - whether as a rental or a re-sign, Flames should do well in this trade.

I know there is speculation that it is only a few teams that he is willing to re-sign to. He holds an 8 team NTC. I imagine that all the Canadian teams are on it. Then add Buffalo (most likely) since Eichel is a close friend. Maybe Arizona since everyone has question marks with that arena, as well as questions about where they might end up moving to. That's 8 teams already. The NTC is basically meaningless during this trade deadline - though I guess it does depend on when he had to turn it in.

He will go to the highest bidder, whether that's a team that is looking at him as a rental only, or interested in re-signing him. Of course the re-signing team should be more of a return, but with Hanifin's camp saying where he is willing to re-sign or not, it will lower that market closer to the pure rental market, but it should still be a great market for the best defencemen available.
The problem with the non-rental scenario is that barely anyone who can sign him long-term is in the playoffs, so he probably won't want to go there. The only real scenario is rental imo, since he controls things. The return you listed for rental sounds right on, though I can see them forgoing a late first for a better prospect insead.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
recent example of an ufa defender at a similar level would be orlov and he went for a 1st 2nd and 3rd. boston also dumped a contract in that trade and got hathaway as well. so it’s not gonna take much more than a first round pick.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
recent example of an ufa defender at a similar level would be orlov and he went for a 1st 2nd and 3rd. boston also dumped a contract in that trade and got hathaway as well. so it’s not gonna take much more than a first round pick.
Hanifin is way better than Orlov

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I believe he did his part it’s Calgary wanting more out of Tampa and telling them screw you we will send him somewhere else as a rental and enjoy possibly missing playoffs and not getting that 8th year

With them being outside a playoff spot trading first may not be the way to go. If he wants Tampa they’ll figure out over 7 years. Assuming Tampa wants him

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Up until this year, I don’t think many would agree they are on a different tier.
Last 3 seasons

Hanifin 120 points +46

Orlov 89 points +9

I can’t speak to usage for Orlov but Hanifin has some of the toughest minutes in the NHL. I’d also argue that Orlov has played with more talent. Hanifin is also 5 years younger. That’s a pretty huge gap. One guy is a 1/2 and one guy is a 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad