Seravalli: Noah Hanifin is holding the Calgary Flames hostage in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I guess the question is, when did Hanifin sent his 8 team no-trade list? Does he have to sent it to start every season, or only when Flames management asks

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Are people honestly surprised? This is the same guy who took months to accept or decline Conroys offer on the table.

Reactions: BHD

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't see the problem here? The team isn't under any obligation to trade a player somewhere he wants, beyond what's listed on a NTC. And the player isn't obligated to sign somewhere he doesn't want to or open up his NTC.

And it's not like the player is going to sandbag or refuse to report. He has all the motivation to finish the season to get a better contract in the summer.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Usually the start of season
In that case, the speculation of him blocking trades with his NTC is useless, because it already happened. Of course Flames can ask if he wants to change his mind, but I dont think that is likely. So it's basically trading Hanifin as a rental or sign-and-trade kind of deal.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah I mean I guess if he’ll only resign with a couple teams you just trade him as a pure rental

It’s only an 8 team NTC I’m sure it’s like Canada + Arizona on it

Flames aren’t going to trade him to Tampa for a 3rd just because that’s the only place he’ll sign

Does suck though he’ll get less as a rental than as a guy a team expects they can sign

• Haha
Reactions: lawrence

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So you dont have to click it:
Hanifin has 8 team NTC
Why is it a problem?
His camp can tell interested teams that there's little interest in re-signing long-term, killing potential deals before they happen
he will get traded even if the flames take a lesser package back. But he also loses out if he can’t secure year 8. Nice to have that security taken care of at 27 then take your chances at 34.

He’s a soon to be ufa so he can tell Calgary which are the top teams he’d sign with. If he doesn’t end up with one of them then so be it. Figure it out in free agency.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah I mean I guess if he’ll only resign with a couple teams you just trade him as a pure rental

It’s only an 8 team NTC I’m sure it’s like Canada + Arizona on it

Flames aren’t going to trade him to Tampa for a 3rd just because that’s the only place he’ll sign

Does suck though he’ll get less as a rental than as a guy a team expects they can sign
This is absolutely not pointed at you, but I really hope people here would finally understand the difference between re-sign and resign.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I don't really see this as the Flames being held hostage. They can trade him for a rental price to whoever they want. But the first + a good prospect they are asking for is the price of a guy that comes with an extension IMO, and Hanifin isn't obliged to sign with someone just cause they're offering Calgary the most.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
It's about the return not the NTC.
If he isn't willing to sign with a team the return will be at best a rental return.

Same as every other rental player ever, isn't it?

It's pretty rare for a rental player to agree to an extension beforehand. And it certainly isn't expected just to help your former team maximize the trade return.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Okay, so he'll be traded as a rental.

Standard rental rates are still a 1st, prospect, roster/cap. Good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad