Seravalli: "No traction" in Gaudreau talks with Calgary - Flames have offered $10+M x 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Kucherov signed 9.5m after putting up 128 points and back then the flat cap era hasn't even started yet.
Forsberg signed 8.5m and he was a ppg
honestly 9.5-10m feels fair
open market he can get much more obviously though

Dont care if owners make a buck or not. you know what would be nice? if tickets for my team didn't cost an arm and a leg. maybe then Id have gone to more than 10 games in my life. Im 35
Kucherov's deal was signed after his 100 point season, in a state with no income tax, while he was still an RFA at the time.

Panarin and Marner are undoubtedly the comps that Gross is looking at.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Kucherov's deal was signed after his 100 point season, in a state with no income tax, while he was still an RFA at the time.

yeah good point. you know you would think the flat cap would effect some of these contracts. NJ signed Hughes at the right time. they waited any longer he be up for an extra couple m

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think he gets Marner money at minimum. Might even reach 12 million per year.

I'm just not sure Gaudreau, a winger, should be a team's best player. If he is, said team likely isn't a legit cup contender.

Same goes for guys like Marner, Stone, and Pastrnak.
Nah. He’ll take a reasonable deal to play near where he grew up. Make it a $10.75mm AAV.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Then the scalpers would just make more.

Yeah I knew this would be the response. lol

With modern technology out there, you think places that sell tickets could find ways to stop scalping(especially if you link the tickets to a cell phone number)

Reactions: wintersej

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I think he gets Marner money at minimum. Might even reach 12 million per year.

I'm just not sure Gaudreau, a winger, should be a team's best player. If he is, said team likely isn't a legit cup contender.

Same goes for guys like Marner, Stone, and Pastrnak.
Marner was signed at time when they expected cap to go up $2-3m per year and he was 22 years old.

Gaudreau will be signed when cap is inching along at $1m per year until at least 2025-26 and he will soon be 29 years old.

I think Gaudreau's range will be $9m to $10m for 7-year deal

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah I knew this would be the response. lol

With modern technology out there, you think places that sell tickets could find ways to stop scalping(especially if you link the tickets to a cell phone number)

Truth is, them being able to see what the re-sale tickets go for is invaluable for their ability to set prices.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Agreed we should feel sorry for the billionaire owners because they have to pay players their worth.

That's not the issue though.

The issue is: if paying Johnny an extra $1-1.5M is the difference of losing Mangiapane, you've got to ask the question: does Johnny want to get the absolute max money possible irrespective of having the best team around him? Or does he want to balance having a very lucrative contract while still having a good enough supporting cast to actually be contenders?

This is not about the ownership and their willingness to spend money when they spend to the cap every year. So suggesting otherwise seems disingenuous. This is about trying to put together a quality team, and I think you know that and are willfully ignoring that so you can piss on the "billionaire owners".

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kuch also plays in Tampa where there is no state tax. That contract is not comparable in Calgary.

Yes, but unless the league is willing to adjust the salary cap for every team relative to their specific tax situation to even the playing field -- which I personally believe they should do, quite frankly; or adjust the salary/escrow each player gets based on what location they're playing in -- it's irrelevant in terms of how much they can spend towards the cap.

What is relevant is that on a pure salary level not taking into account taxes, the equivalent 7 year AAV to equal 9.5M from CGY is $10.85. If CGY increases their offer to $10M per season, another team would have to offer $11.4M. I just wonder how many teams are out there who are truly going to do that. 1 or 2? Sure. But more than that and the ones Johnny may actually want to go to? I'm just not 100% sure about that.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

If I was a GM, and I'm sure all of them look at it this way, there's a difference giving out those kind of contract to a 22 year old Marner or 26 year old Kucherov when they're in their prime years and much more likely to sustain (or improve, especially in the case of Marner) their level of play versus an 8 year deal for a 29 year old Gaudreau.

Bottom line is: I think you have to draw the line somewhere with every player.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Marner was signed at time when they expected cap to go up $2-3m per year and he was 22 years old.

Gaudreau will be signed when cap is inching along at $1m per year until at least 2025-26 and he will soon be 29 years old.

I think Gaudreau's range will be $9m to $10m for 7-year deal
If the reports out of Calgary are true, Gaudreau didn't go for 9.5 x 8, so he's definitely going to expect at least 10.5 a year on a 7-year deal.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
If the reports out of Calgary are true, Gaudreau didn't go for 9.5 x 8, so he's definitely going to expect at least 10.5 a year on a 7-year deal.
Was it reported that it was declined based on dollar amount? I was of the belief it was a desire to play in a market closer to home.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Was it reported that it was declined based on dollar amount? I was of the belief it was a desire to play in a market closer to home.
It's been reported he's negotiating, but again who knows. If he is, then the money does matter to him, which it should. This will likely be his last big contract.

On a 7-year deal I find it difficult to believe he'd take anything less than 10.5 and his agent will work on any east coast teams looking to add him to get them to compete on salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad