Seravalli: "No traction" in Gaudreau talks with Calgary - Flames have offered $10+M x 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Maybe he’s looking for a deal with a cap hit north of Marner/Tavares/Panarin are making, in which case the flames are about $2M short.

Reactions: sayonara

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Do they not want him back or something? Losing someone that valuable for nothing would be huge in a bad way.
Paying him $10 million might back fire more negatively overall. He will be 36 at the end of an 8 year deal and apart from thus year and the year he got 99 points he hasn’t proven he’s worth 10. He also might just rather spend the rest of his career somewhere else since on the open market he would need at least 10.85x7 to match Calgary’s 9.5x8 offer in overall earnings.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Imma laugh if he signs tomorrow now, just after Seravalli said this.
I still think until I see that he's signed with another team that he's coming back here, and that it's a lot of down to wire shakedown to see if he can coax us to increase our last offer. But I'm also mentally prepared if he does walk. It is what it is. It was a shit situation, he had a down season, nobody really thought we'd win the division, and if we didn't make those steps he was going to be traded at the deadline. He wasn't signing an extension last off season, because it would have been nowhere near what he wanted, but he went and had an insane career year so there was no incentive for him to re-sign before the end of the season, and with the year we were having we couldn't just move him at the deadline.

It was just the perfect storm of circumstances for Johnny the past year. It sucks, but if he peaces out it is what it is

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Already posted this in another thread, but CP has stated its 11.5m from the Johnny camp and 10m from the Flames camp rn with Murray Edwards stepping in.

That's not a small AAV to bridge to be fair. If I had to guess, it'll probably settle at 11m (if they do...)

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I still think until I see that he's signed with another team that he's coming back here, and that it's a lot of down to wire shakedown to see if he can coax us to increase our last offer. But I'm also mentally prepared if he does walk. It is what it is. It was a shit situation, he had a down season, nobody really thought we'd win the division, and if we didn't make those steps he was going to be traded at the deadline. He wasn't signing an extension last off season, because it would have been nowhere near what he wanted, but he went and had an insane career year so there was no incentive for him to re-sign before the end of the season, and with the year we were having we couldn't just move him at the deadline.

It was just the perfect storm of circumstances for Johnny the past year. It sucks, but if he peaces out it is what it is
He’s tried harder than he’s ever tried during this contract year. I think he deserves to get paid, he’s earned it. We should be happy as long as he gets paid.

Last edited:

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018

I'd still bet on him returning to Calgary up until UFA opens and they lose the ability to give him the 8th year. I think there's still alot of negotiating to go and when the final countdown starts, both sides will feel pressure. Calgary may up their offer to give it a last ditch effort and Johnny will have to decide whether the loss of that eighth year and some $ is worth the risk of UFA/chance to settle closer to home.

I do think once UFA hits, his chances of returning to Calgary diminish to almost close to zero (the only scenario being that there are really no other offers in the same ballpark.. which there will be for a player of his caliber).

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He gone. Forced rebuild incoming in cow town.

Lil johnny about to be massively overpaid anyways but ouch for losing for nothing.

Reactions: McJedi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad