Seravalli: "No traction" in Gaudreau talks with Calgary - Flames have offered $10+M x 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If he signs with the Flyers it’s pretty clear winning isn’t important for him.

Flyers will be stuck in mediocrity for a long time.
Such a flawed roster with very little hope for future

Well no shit, he's not signing in Philly to win a cup. It's for playing for the team he grew up rooting for, being home + family comfort. Flyers fans know it and probably don't care as well.

Reactions: thaman8765678

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Pretty sure he and his family have enjoyed the Stampede since he was a rookie, wouldn't be surprised to see him there next summer too even if he doesn't re-sign.
I'm talking about his counter offer this afternoon to the Flames.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I think JG stays. He doesn't even need to give a counter if he wanted to leave. OR, he is just giving a crazy high counter to not look bad if he does leave.

If Gaudreau makes 10M at wing what the hell is MacKinnon going to go for next year? :help:
Pretty crazy that they probably could have signed him for 8.5 or maybe 9 max last year, but got stingy. To the Flames defense, JG didn't have 2 great years leading up to last season. One meh one fairly good.

Reactions: Artemi Panarin

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well no shit, he's not signing in Philly to win a cup. It's for playing for the team he grew up rooting for, being home + family comfort. Flyers fans know it and probably don't care as well.

So Flyers fans have no hopes for seeing their team compete any time soon?

As a Flames fan, I'm not sure there's a huge difference between the teams. The only reason the Flames weren't mediocre last year (and still only made it into the second round) is because of Gaudreau.

Tkachuk's better than anything the Flyers have other than Couturier right now but he's also going to be making 10M or whatever. Flames are missing a bonafide number 1 defenseman, a second line center (Backlund is an ideal third line center but aging quickly), any form of depth, and have no prospects on the way that look like they will be game breakers of any sort. Toffoli, even Coleman, have been disappointing and beyond the top line the one player who had exceeded expectations in Markstrom was a complete and utter goof against the Oilers.

If winning is what drives Gaudreau, he also should be leaving the Flames.

Flyers are just a mess management wise.

They should rebuild but they won’t.
They are desperately trying to get them back to being a quality playoff team but the roster is too flawed for that and they’ll be too good to get a good pick

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Flyers are just a mess management wise.

They should rebuild but they won’t.
They are desperately trying to get them back to being a quality playoff team but the roster is too flawed for that and they’ll be too good to get a good pick
As a flyers fan, I want my team to compete soon, which means I don’t want a Gaudreau contract to hamper our ability to make the moves necessary to improve.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Gaudreau makes 10M at wing what the hell is MacKinnon going to go for next year? :help:
Well look at Matthews and then it will be a higher cap in later years, so add more AAV. I wouldn't be shocked if was the same as McDavid.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
tik tok tik tok..

just over 5hrs and change until he is done in CGY if we dont see anything signed by then.

Oldaccount

Jun 13, 2011
I think JG stays. He doesn't even need to give a counter if he wanted to leave. OR, he is just giving a crazy high counter to not look bad if he does leave.

Pretty crazy that they probably could have signed him for 8.5 or maybe 9 max last year, but got stingy. To the Flames defense, JG didn't have 2 great years leading up to last season. One meh one fairly good.
Well if he stays he's got around 5 hours to sign or Flames lose the ability to give him that 8th year then you have NJ backing up the Brink Truck for him.

Reactions: BananaGenetics

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Well if he stays he's got around 5 hours to sign or Flames lose the ability to give him that 8th year then you have NJ backing up the Brink Truck for him.

Unless Philly just ends up offering way less than the Devils I think he still would chose Philly

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I think he is 99% going to sign at the last hour. His agent always does this with his short client list.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he is 99% going to sign at the last hour. His agent always does this with his short client list.
This is a good point, he had Gaudreau not sign until just before the season on his last deal, he is also William Nylander's agent who had him sit out

I’ve seen it before.
Hell Buffalo gave up a 3rd for Vesey’s rights and it was 2 hours before free agency.
Plus the extra year
Calgary is the only team that can sign him to 8 years even if they trade his right. You have to have the player on your roster prior to the deadline.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Calgary is the only team that can sign him to 8 years even if they trade his right. You have to have the player on your roster prior to the deadline.
No that’s not true you can trade the rights and get the 8th year. Edmonton tried to do it with Hyman last year but Dubas wouldn’t take a 6th.

Reactions: Breakers

Oldaccount

Jun 13, 2011
Unless Philly just ends up offering way less than the Devils I think he still would chose Philly
I'm just trying to will it into reality at this point lol. Keeping the faith alive. One thing I keep reading with the Flyers is the GM is having problems shedding that JVR contract. I pray that all the GMs have them at gun point to where they just give up because that would leave us as the front runners. I'm praying for the best but prepared for the worst.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No that’s not true you can trade the rights and get the 8th year. Edmonton tried to do it with Hyman last year but Dubas wouldn’t take a 6th.
It is absolutely true.

(b) The following practices also shall not be permitted under this Agreement and may not be included in any SPC, nor otherwise agreed to by any Club, any person or any entity:

(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club’s Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such Player was on such Club’s Reserve List and/or Restricted Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
This off-season we can possibly see Johnny hockey refuse 80 mil to play-live in Alberta and Duncan Keith refuse 1.5 mil to play-live in Alberta.....Kane refuse 20 mil to play live in Alberta

Why no love for Alberta Canada?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

No I think they know Fletcher has put them in no man's land. Add the fact, the top UFA has made it obvious that he wants to be a Flyer they're in a weird spot to whatever happens. If I was a Flyer fan, I'd want a tear down rebuild but it would suck seeing Gaudreau on a rival if I were them. If they don't trade for Risto+DeAngelo, then the Gaudreau landing spot would already be known by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad