No time to Panic

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
That was kind of my point. The kings had all that and still had to change coaches and trade for Carter in order to do post season damage. We've got 4 3rd lines, our leader in TOI is a number 6 defenseman and our coach has been a part of some of the bigger playoff choke jobs post lockout.
But if we are the lowest seeded team, then the coach and team can't choke! Thus we can only win! What a genius strategy!

Also all teams must average at 50% of an average. It's math. All this time of the Ducks playing at 0% of a team means that we can have periods of 100% during the playoffs. 100%>>50%, so we are guaranteed to be better then!

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I was joking with a "playoff built". I wrote before the season we have a 2nd round exit defense.

I know...I agree.

2nd round exit defense and miss the playoffs forward group. Add that up and you get a 1st round exit if we're lucky lol

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I follow a team because they are my team. I hope they do well, but I don't delude myself with false hope when the facts start piling up against me.

If you are going to be a long term fan of any team in any sport you have to learn to modulate your expectations. When you aren't a contender you focus on other things to enjoy about the games even though you always hope for a win.

The problem with this season is that everyone expected this team to be a cup contender. It's a bitter pill to swallow when it all turns to **** overnight. Tempers flare and anger is everywhere. But, unfortunately, putting on rose colored glasses won't change a thing.

I don't abandon my teams, I just figure out ways to be hopeful and believe in my teams. But the thing I can't figure out, is why are there so many people on this board who have given up on the team when there are 52 games left in the regular season. After all, the Ducks are not devoid of talent, but were expected by most experts to be amongst the top two teams in the league. The team has extremely underperformed, but if you look at things in the long run, normally, things return to the mean. Therefore, you can reasonably expect a bounce back in performance in the second half of season. It is not unreasonable for Getz to score 15 goals, Pears to get around 30 goals, Kes to get around15 goals , Silf to get 10 to 15 goals(all these projections are still underperformaning their norms). As Teemu said, once you get the ketchup going, it tends to flow. I know things look bleak so far, but the team has the talent and ability to turn things around. I also look to see Hamps play much better in the second half. So there area number of reasons why you can see why team will get much better. The team hasn't given up hope, so there is no reason why the fans should either. Instead of writing the team off, let's just give them time to get their act in order. After all, don't the Ducks lead the league in 7 game winning streaks or more over the previous 3 seasons. Our team is still rather young, and none of the core players are past their prime. So let's let the players play the game, instead of being resigned in being a mediocre team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No, but it does insure at least the 6th pick, I believe, as well as giving you the third best chance at winning one of the top 3 picks. If we miss the playoff, I hope we miss by a mile.

That's my understanding too. I just didn't want anybody thinking a low finishing spot was what it used to be. With Matthews in play this year I would be fine missing by a mile as well. It could also lead to a more serious housecleaning. That wouldn't be bad either.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, I don't see the players quitting. I didn't even see that earlier in the year. It's been a lot of guys trying and failing, but that doesn't mean that the effort isn't being made. This has been an entire season of trying to watch someone trying to drive a square peg into a round hole.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't abandon my teams, I just figure out ways to be hopeful and believe in my teams. But the thing I can't figure out, is why are there so many people on this board who have given up on the team when there are 52 games left in the regular season. After all, the Ducks are not devoid of talent, but were expected by most experts to be amongst the top two teams in the league. The team has extremely underperformed, but if you look at things in the long run, normally, things return to the mean. Therefore, you can reasonably expect a bounce back in performance in the second half of season. It is not unreasonable for Getz to score 15 goals, Pears to get around 30 goals, Kes to get around15 goals , Silf to get 10 to 15 goals(all these projections are still underperformaning their norms). As Teemu said, once you get the ketchup going, it tends to flow. I know things look bleak so far, but the team has the talent and ability to turn things around. I also look to see Hamps play much better in the second half. So there area number of reasons why you can see why team will get much better. The team hasn't given up hope, so there is no reason why the fans should either. Instead of writing the team off, let's just give them time to get their act in order. After all, don't the Ducks lead the league in 7 game winning streaks or more over the previous 3 seasons. Our team is still rather young, and none of the core players are past their prime. So let's let the players play the game, instead of being resigned in being a mediocre team.

Well, obviously you're entitled to view things however you please. It just seems as though you are expecting the absolute best from everybody going forward. While things can certainly improve from here, there is no sign that everybody will turn it around for the rest of the year. That would seem to be a bit unrealistic.

You're expecting our best players to continue playing to some past level of play as if they will not decline. We've already seen Getz and Perry play poorly like this in stretches, the last couple of years. Now it's happening again. It seems to me the decline has begun. They are 30. It's not at all unusual for players at that age to begin declining. To not do so is the exception to the rule. We can debate how much of a decline it will be, but it's not very realistic to think they will play to past levels any more.

As has been pointed out many times, young players do not develop on a linear growth pattern. Hitting bumps in the road and taking a step back is not at all uncommon. Expecting that to turn around right now because we want it to is wishful thinking. Sure they (Silf and Hampus) may not play quite as badly as they have started off but there is no basis for expecting top level improvement all of a sudden.

And lastly, there is no denying that the changes Bob has made the last couple of years have not been positive ones. He has weakened the team with his moves. Add in some questionable coaching moves, stir and shake, and you have the season we are now living.

I'd love to wish and hope our problems away, but that's not enough. And IMO, this is no longer about filling a hole with a player acquisition or firing the coach. We have a roster that is not cup competitive but a payroll that looks like it is. That's a bad combination that will take time to rework.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I was being a little snarky before, but I'm serious now. Sure it's fine to be optimistic. There is still time in the season.

But my question to you is when will it be time to panic? How long can we be below .500 and not worry? How long as the 4th worst team in the league and worst in the West?

We are an apple that looks really good. But every bite so far has been bad, as if its past its due date. And many of the things that made it look good are actually old enough (based on other normal apples) should be spoiled or spoiling already. How long to you keep eating, hoping the next bite will be better? How long until you decide it's just rotten to the core?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I was being a little snarky before, but I'm serious now. Sure it's fine to be optimistic. There is still time in the season.

But my question to you is when will it be time to panic? How long can we be below .500 and not worry? How long as the 4th worst team in the league and worst in the West?

That depends on the rest of the Pacific. That's probably the only reason this is even being discussed. If this were the Central Division, we'd be 11 points out of a division spot, and 9 points out of a wild card spot. Not impossible, but certainly difficult unless you expect the team to just flip a switch. I don't.

We can survive being crappy all the way until just before the playoffs, if the Pacific teams are equally crappy. As soon as any of the teams start to separate themselves from us, that will start to change quickly.

But is that really what we want? For the Pacific to be so crappy that our crappy play is less of an issue for making the playoffs? That's ridiculous. I don't want to make the playoffs with no hope of accomplishing anything.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The one saving grace is if we qualify as the #2 or #3 seed we will be playing a terrible first round opponent. The other 5 non LA teams in the Pacific are all horrific. San Jose is the only team I think could beat us in a 7 game series and even then I think it could go either way.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Say that things continue this way and the 3rd Pacific team has a poor record that wouldn't make the playoffs in any other division. Maybe even a losing record. Will they change the playoff format?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Say that things continue this way and the 3rd Pacific team has a poor record that wouldn't make the playoffs in any other division. Maybe even a losing record. Will they change the playoff format?

No. The playoffs are all about making money. No sports league will ever put integrity before making more money.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
That depends on the rest of the Pacific. That's probably the only reason this is even being discussed. If this were the Central Division, we'd be 11 points out of a division spot, and 9 points out of a wild card spot. Not impossible, but certainly difficult unless you expect the team to just flip a switch. I don't.

We can survive being crappy all the way until just before the playoffs, if the Pacific teams are equally crappy. As soon as any of the teams start to separate themselves from us, that will start to change quickly.

But is that really what we want? For the Pacific to be so crappy that our crappy play is less of an issue for making the playoffs? That's ridiculous. I don't want to make the playoffs with no hope of accomplishing anything.
I guess that's a good point about the division and the format. So then time to panic is related to games left and distance from #3?
No. The playoffs are all about making money. No sports league will ever put integrity before making more money.
Well it would still be 16 teams somehow. So I don't see how money would be lost. Just say more wildcards and fewer division. Maybe even only if some kind of condition is met (aka the 3rd place team is ___ worse than the next wildcard candidate).

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well it would still be 16 teams somehow. So I don't see how money would be lost. Just say more wildcards and fewer division. Maybe even only if some kind of condition is met (aka the 3rd place team is ___ worse than the next wildcard candidate).

OK, I thought you meant would they grow a pair and cut back on the number of teams. Because there are almost always one or more teams who make it but are barely .500 teams if that. The playoffs have been watered down so much that I don't see how they could do anything short of reducing the number of teams.

I don't think it would serve them well to come up with a convoluted way to let in an extra team from somewhere else on the basis of one otherwise playoff bound team, being really crappy.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I think more likely they're just not that talented and not that well coached

This.

Effort is there - well, for the most part. Maybe not from Getz so much, but he has a valid excuse. But majority of the team is trying, working hard, etc.

The problem right now is execution. That is either a talent or coaching/practicing problem, or a combination of both.

So - Talent is still there, as much fun as it is when I make fun of Beavis and Butthead, Getz and Perry haven't become ****** players all of a sudden in a span of 9 months. So IMO, this is a coaching/practicing problem. Not sure what to make of that, I didn't think the Walrus would have that big of an impact on this team's offensive strategies, but then again, look at how good Ottawa's offense has been this year without the Walrus...

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The team just doesn't seem to have any confidence in what they are doing. They honestly look lost out there and there is no structure. Too many passes to an empty crease, shots with no traffic, no one going to the net to get the rebound. They all seem to be in the wrong place. Even when they do hard to the net they are out of position or the pucks bounces and they miss an opportunity.

I don't know what they are practicing. Hayward will make some comment about how much the coaches are working on something in practice and then by the second period it all vanishes. I don't understand.

John

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
Well, obviously you're entitled to view things however you please. It just seems as though you are expecting the absolute best from everybody going forward. While things can certainly improve from here, there is no sign that everybody will turn it around for the rest of the year. That would seem to be a bit unrealistic.

You're expecting our best players to continue playing to some past level of play as if they will not decline. We've already seen Getz and Perry play poorly like this in stretches, the last couple of years. Now it's happening again. It seems to me the decline has begun. They are 30. It's not at all unusual for players at that age to begin declining. To not do so is the exception to the rule. We can debate how much of a decline it will be, but it's not very realistic to think they will play to past levels any more.

As has been pointed out many times, young players do not develop on a linear growth pattern. Hitting bumps in the road and taking a step back is not at all uncommon. Expecting that to turn around right now because we want it to is wishful thinking. Sure they (Silf and Hampus) may not play quite as badly as they have started off but there is no basis for expecting top level improvement all of a sudden.

And lastly, there is no denying that the changes Bob has made the last couple of years have not been positive ones. He has weakened the team with his moves. Add in some questionable coaching moves, stir and shake, and you have the season we are now living.

I'd love to wish and hope our problems away, but that's not enough. And IMO, this is no longer about filling a hole with a player acquisition or firing the coach. We have a roster that is not cup competitive but a payroll that looks like it is. That's a bad combination that will take time to rework.

I am finding extremely frustrating that our own fans have given up for the season and think that we absolutely have no chance of winning the Cup. Do we have that many bandwagon fans, that give up when things aren't going well. I have always believed that it is when things look the darkest is the opportunity, is the moment in time that the cream rises to the top. It is the opportunity to show your character. It is the time to show that you are special and a winner in life. As a Trojan alumni, I actually believe in fighting on, when things look bleak. As others have pointed out, we play in the Pacific Division, where we are only four points out of second place with a game in hand. I would be shocked, if we didn't finish in second place comfortably. And as the Kings have proven in both years of winning the Cup, it doesn't matter how you play in the regular season, all that matters is how you play in the playoffs.

As for your assessment on our players, it is one thing to have a player have a slightly down year, but it is an aberration, when all your top 6 forwards are having their worst seasons (some rather drastically). Getz and Pears as you mentioned are streaky players, where they have had down periods and then bounced back. Thus, they are likely to bounce back to their norms, especially considering that they are in their prime years. They tend to play the style of play that ages well over time. Look at Thorton and Jagr. The season is 82 games, which gives sufficient time for players to play to their normal production. So, let's give them the rest of the season to let things play out. I'm sure if we continue to flounder, BB will be fired, in order to turn things around. If this fails, then BM will make trades to improve team. So there are ways to improve the team. If Gibson continues to average allowing less than 2 goals a game, we will win our share of games and can make Freddie tradeable and improve the team that way. All I am saying is that it is way too early to throw in the towel. Let's fight, support and believe in our team. After all, don't we want out team to succeed.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I don't see how even the most hardcore fan in the history of Anaheim Ducks hockey can look at this roster and think they have any chance of the Cup, sorry.

At some point you have to be realistic. Our top forwards are all having massive down years, Silf was suppose to become that anchor on the 2nd line and is playing the worst hockey in his NHL career, our big solution to the LW problem was Hagelin who is nothing more then an expensive 3rd liner who can't score, our 4th line are a mismatch of skill players and grinders, we have a #6 dman playing 20+ minutes reguarly, a coach who can't implement any sort of system and a GM who's made moves that's made the team considerable worse over the last 12 months and has put himself and the team into a corner. Oh and we have very little budget room to make many moves because we're handicapped by numerous terrible contracts that are going to be near impossible to move.

The only bright spots I can think of are Fowler, Vatanen, Horcoff and to a lesser extent Manson. Everything else.....not so good.

I don't care how much cheering you want to do, that's not going to change any of the above. Again, sorry.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I'd add Cogliano to the bright spots. Unfortunately for him he's on a line that has zero finish. EDIT: That's actually every effing line.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I am finding extremely frustrating that our own fans have given up for the season and think that we absolutely have no chance of winning the Cup. Do we have that many bandwagon fans, that give up when things aren't going well. I have always believed that it is when things look the darkest is the opportunity, is the moment in time that the cream rises to the top. It is the opportunity to show your character. It is the time to show that you are special and a winner in life. As a Trojan alumni, I actually believe in fighting on, when things look bleak. As others have pointed out, we play in the Pacific Division, where we are only four points out of second place with a game in hand. I would be shocked, if we didn't finish in second place comfortably. And as the Kings have proven in both years of winning the Cup, it doesn't matter how you play in the regular season, all that matters is how you play in the playoffs.

As for your assessment on our players, it is one thing to have a player have a slightly down year, but it is an aberration, when all your top 6 forwards are having their worst seasons (some rather drastically). Getz and Pears as you mentioned are streaky players, where they have had down periods and then bounced back. Thus, they are likely to bounce back to their norms, especially considering that they are in their prime years. They tend to play the style of play that ages well over time. Look at Thorton and Jagr. The season is 82 games, which gives sufficient time for players to play to their normal production. So, let's give them the rest of the season to let things play out. I'm sure if we continue to flounder, BB will be fired, in order to turn things around. If this fails, then BM will make trades to improve team. So there are ways to improve the team. If Gibson continues to average allowing less than 2 goals a game, we will win our share of games and can make Freddie tradeable and improve the team that way. All I am saying is that it is way too early to throw in the towel. Let's fight, support and believe in our team. After all, don't we want out team to succeed.

Are you actually accusing people who post everyday on the message board of a team that has choked in the playoffs 3 straight years to rival teams, and is currently in last place a bandwagon fan?

You don't think we'd have chosen the next team by now if we were bandwagon fans? Yet here we are

Again, you're pretty much completely out of touch with what is actually going on. You're projecting that everything is going to go well because you want it to

The bolded for example is ludicrous. The 2012 and 2014 Kings were elite possession teams that struck gold by landing scorers Jeff Carter and Marian Gaborik at the deadline both years. Both those teams had a #1D, elite goalie, and #1C. The Ducks have one of those teams. When Murray lands us our Jeff Carter I'll grab some pom poms but his moves rarely work these days and those players rarely come around (Kings got lucky but capitalized)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Are you actually accusing people who post everyday on the message board of a team that has choked in the playoffs 3 straight years to rival teams, and is currently in last place a bandwagon fan?

You don't think we'd have chosen the next team by now if we were bandwagon fans? Yet here we are

Again, you're pretty much completely out of touch with what is actually going on. You're projecting that everything is going to go well because you want it to

The bolded for example is ludicrous. The 2012 and 2014 Kings were elite possession teams that struck gold by landing scorers Jeff Carter and Marian Gaborik at the deadline both years. Both those teams had a #1D, elite goalie, and #1C. The Ducks have one of those teams. When Murray lands us our Jeff Carter I'll grab some pom poms but his moves rarely work these days and those players rarely come around (Kings got lucky but capitalized)

Camshaft admitted to being a bandwagon fan him/herself. No point in watching if you don't think they're going to be good, so fool yourself into thinking you're watching some different, better team.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see how even the most hardcore fan in the history of Anaheim Ducks hockey can look at this roster and think they have any chance of the Cup, sorry.

At some point you have to be realistic. Our top forwards are all having massive down years, Silf was suppose to become that anchor on the 2nd line and is playing the worst hockey in his NHL career, our big solution to the LW problem was Hagelin who is nothing more then an expensive 3rd liner who can't score, our 4th line are a mismatch of skill players and grinders, we have a #6 dman playing 20+ minutes reguarly, a coach who can't implement any sort of system and a GM who's made moves that's made the team considerable worse over the last 12 months and has put himself and the team into a corner. Oh and we have very little budget room to make many moves because we're handicapped by numerous terrible contracts that are going to be near impossible to move.

The only bright spots I can think of are Fowler, Vatanen, Horcoff and to a lesser extent Manson. Everything else.....not so good.

I don't care how much cheering you want to do, that's not going to change any of the above. Again, sorry.
I don't know what you're talking about. Silf is totally an anchor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad