No time to Panic

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Hopeful? Count me in. Serious contenders because of a recent hot streak? Well, explain to me why and how they were totally ****ing awful the first half of the season and how that can never happen again. Or just what has happened the last three years worth of game 6 and 7 total failures.

This team has a serious Jekyll/Hyde complex that nobody can explain. And with our highest paid players at times looking awful as they age, I'll hold off planning the parade celebration for now.

Based on what a few players and especially Murray have said, seems like guys came in to camp out of shape and/or thought making the playoffs was a foregone conclusion so they thought they could coast their way there. Add in some new guys playing key roles and still learning the system, along with some bad luck, and that's a recipe for disaster. In all honesty, the first 10 games might've been the best thing that could've happened to this team, otherwise you might've seen a similar season to the Kings' a year ago.

This team has a bit of a history of coasting when their spot is secure, so IMO that theory does make a lot of sense. Too many playoff failures to really look at the regular season the same again. Might end up being a good thing, but we won't find for another couple months.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
All you have to see about a Jekyll/Hyde team is look at how the Kings were in the two years they won the Cup. They were simply awful at times both years in the regular season, and then became an unbelievable team in the playoffs, and won the Cup both times. If you look at the hockey experts and commentators/writers, they were shocked how badly the Ducks played early in the season, and how they are playing as expected now. They feel that the early start was an abberation, and now things are returning to mean, where playing as they have most of their careers. The Duck players and coaches have said the same thing, and have added how the horrible start has made them a tougher and better team. Coming into playoffs as underdogs, they will not be "playing not to lose", but be more agressive in game 6 and 7. After all, as the underdog, they have nothing to lose, and thus can play with abandon and aggressiveness, which they had not done in previous game 7s. By the way, our highest paid players are not aging, right now they are in their prime years (ages 27-32). We have a GOOD chance of winning a Cup, but its a chance we have to take advantage of.

Getzlaf and Perry will be 31 in May, Kesler, 32 in August. They are our highest paid players and they are past their prime. That's not debatable. And it doesn't matter how well others may do, if their play reverts back to where it was earlier this year, this team is done. It cannot win with those three playing like they did earlier this year. And at their age, it's asking a whole lot to play at this higher level consistently for the rest of the year including a grueling playoff schedule. Possible? Yes. A sure thing? Absolutely not.

It matters not what other teams have or haven't done. They are different teams with different players. It does matter what a team with the same core group has done year after year. And this team has been anything but consistent or opportunistic.

As for your take on the "new" approach to the playoffs, well, it isn't exactly new. When RC was fired and the team rallied with BB they missed the playoffs. And the excuse we heard was how hard it was to have to play at playoff level for so long just to make the playoffs. Just the opposite of your prediction.

So, I'm definitely hopeful things go well the rest of the way. But a big dose of history and reality tell me to curb my enthusiasm.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Based on what a few players and especially Murray have said, seems like guys came in to camp out of shape and/or thought making the playoffs was a foregone conclusion so they thought they could coast their way there. Add in some new guys playing key roles and still learning the system, along with some bad luck, and that's a recipe for disaster. In all honesty, the first 10 games might've been the best thing that could've happened to this team, otherwise you might've seen a similar season to the Kings' a year ago.

This team has a bit of a history of coasting when their spot is secure, so IMO that theory does make a lot of sense. Too many playoff failures to really look at the regular season the same again. Might end up being a good thing, but we won't find for another couple months.

The bolded is pretty much my point. Too many inconsistencies to just assume everything is all good now. They have to prove they can do it the rest of the way.

Oct 18, 2011
ducks need a top 6 forward, if they can get it and maintain their defensive play, yes they are a contender

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Anything can happen in the playoffs. The underdog status fits better for the Ducks which they would be if they make it to the playoffs based on their performance this season.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
Getzlaf and Perry will be 31 in May, Kesler, 32 in August. They are our highest paid players and they are past their prime. That's not debatable. And it doesn't matter how well others may do, if their play reverts back to where it was earlier this year, this team is done. It cannot win with those three playing like they did earlier this year. And at their age, it's asking a whole lot to play at this higher level consistently for the rest of the year including a grueling playoff schedule. Possible? Yes. A sure thing? Absolutely not.

It matters not what other teams have or haven't done. They are different teams with different players. It does matter what a team with the same core group has done year after year. And this team has been anything but consistent or opportunistic.

As for your take on the "new" approach to the playoffs, well, it isn't exactly new. When RC was fired and the team rallied with BB they missed the playoffs. And the excuse we heard was how hard it was to have to play at playoff level for so long just to make the playoffs. Just the opposite of your prediction.

So, I'm definitely hopeful things go well the rest of the way. But a big dose of history and reality tell me to curb my enthusiasm.

Please read my previous posts carefully over the last couple of days. I never have stated that we will win the Cup, but that we have a GOOD CHANCE of winning the Cup. My intent is change the mentality of "this season is over and looking to the future" to a hopefulness that we really have a legtimate chance of winning the Cup, and we have trading assets (Vats, Anderson, prospects, 1st round pick, etc) to improve our team.

As I stated before, for most players on average, their prime years are from age 27 to 32, and Getz and Pears are presently age 30, and Kes a year older. Getz is having a bad year, which doesn't mean he is out of his prime, because he had maybe his best season last year and was one of top three players in the league.. But Pear and Kes are having a normal year, where they got off to a terrible start. Pears looks like he will score 35 goals (not bad considering he was goaless for first 11 games) or so and Kes is playing at a higher level this past month than he did last year. These players are not old, look at Jagr, Thorton, Marleau, Teemu and how they performed age 36 and up.

As for playoff mentality, there is a big difference playing to win rather than playing not to lose, which the Ducks have been doing in their game 7s last three years. So playing as the underdog could be a good thing for this club. I do not want to make this a personal issue, and all I want is for us to support the Ducks and hopefully onto winning the CUP.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Please read my previous posts carefully over the last couple of days. I never have stated that we will win the Cup, but that we have a GOOD CHANCE of winning the Cup. My intent is change the mentality of "this season is over and looking to the future" to a hopefulness that we really have a legtimate chance of winning the Cup, and we have trading assets (Vats, Anderson, prospects, 1st round pick, etc) to improve our team.

As I stated before, for most players on average, their prime years are from age 27 to 32, and Getz and Pears are presently age 30, and Kes a year older. Getz is having a bad year, which doesn't mean he is out of his prime, because he had maybe his best season last year and was one of top three players in the league.. But Pear and Kes are having a normal year, where they got off to a terrible start. Pears looks like he will score 35 goals (not bad considering he was goaless for first 11 games) or so and Kes is playing at a higher level this past month than he did last year. These players are not old, look at Jagr, Thorton, Marleau, Teemu and how they performed age 36 and up.

As for playoff mentality, there is a big difference playing to win rather than playing not to lose, which the Ducks have been doing in their game 7s last three years. So playing as the underdog could be a good thing for this club. I do not want to make this a personal issue, and all I want is for us to support the Ducks and hopefully onto winning the CUP.
You're so annoying. We all support the Ducks.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Supporting the team does not mean we have to view things exactly the same way.

There's a difference between hoping things play out as you describe them and expecting them to. You do realize that players like Jagr, Thornton, and Teemu are the exception to the rule, right? Athlete's over the age of 30 are past their prime. Some age gracefully, some don't. More don't than do. The aging process is kind of like a box of chocolates. The last couple of years we've seen all of our big three look abysmal at times. I can almost guarantee you none will reach Jagr/Teemu levels of aging. And I have my doubts as to them being as productive as Thornton at his age. It just isn't as simple as wishing it so.

As for the playoffs, you're welcome to play amateur psychologist all you want but if this team makes the playoffs I doubt too many people will call them underdogs. And, the pressure of the last three years' failures will be with them throughout any playoffs.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

There's a difference between hoping things play out as you describe them and expecting them to. You do realize that players like Jagr, Thornton, and Teemu are the exception to the rule, right? Athlete's over the age of 30 are past their prime. Some age gracefully, some don't. More don't than do. The aging process is kind of like a box of chocolates. The last couple of years we've seen all of our big three look abysmal at times. I can almost guarantee you none will reach Jagr/Teemu levels of aging. And I have my doubts as to them being as productive as Thornton at his age. It just isn't as simple as wishing it so.

As for the playoffs, you're welcome to play amateur psychologist all you want but if this team makes the playoffs I doubt too many people will call them underdogs. And, the pressure of the last three years' failures will be with them throughout any playoffs.

Vs. the Kings and Blackhawks I am sure many will and I am one that would agree with it.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013

But if you are a fan of the Ducks, why would you not think they have a CHANCE of winning the Cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad