No time to Panic

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
Aren't we in perfect position, like the Kings were in two years ago? The Kings felt that the only thing important about regular season is making playoffs, even as the eighth seed. If we turn up our game in the playoffs, we can do damage, especially if Getz, Kes, and Silf return to form like previous playoffs. It may be more advantageous in winning SC being underdogs rather than favorites, where we over perform rather than under perform.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How is being last place in the West an advantageous position? The Kings were going to miss the playoffs and had to bring in a new coach as well as Jeff Carter to make the playoffs and win that cup.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sure, only a few points up to a playoff spot. But I thought we were gonna contend for the cup this season. That's not happening unless a few miracles happen. I feel like the Kesler and Bieksa contracts closed whatever window we might have had. When we get rid of those contracts Perry and Getzlaf will be long past their primes. BM has done a lof of weird things lately and should get canned.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
How is being last place in the West an advantageous position? The Kings were going to miss the playoffs and had to bring in a new coach as well as Jeff Carter to make the playoffs and win that cup.

Not even advantageous. Perfect. Could not be improved, best it can be, that's our position. I forgot to give thanks at thanksgiving for our amazing perfect season so let me do it now.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006

Yah but they traded Jack Johnson because Voynov came into his own that year.. They had a strong team defense in 2012 that was hard to go through. Plus they had Playoff performers in and out of the lineup. Williams, Richards, kopitar, quick was in god mode. Rookies Nolan and King Stepped up as well. Basically we dont have any of that now.. Even if we make the playoffs, With beiksa playing 20 min a night, We are sure first round exit.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yah but they traded Jack Johnson because Voynov came into his own that year.. They had a strong team defense in 2012 that was hard to go through. Plus they had Playoff performers in and out of the lineup. Williams, Richards, kopitar, quick was in god mode. Rookies Nolan and King Stepped up as well. Basically we dont have any of that now.. Even if we make the playoffs, With beiksa playing 20 min a night, We are sure first round exit.

That was kind of my point. The kings had all that and still had to change coaches and trade for Carter in order to do post season damage. We've got 4 3rd lines, our leader in TOI is a number 6 defenseman and our coach has been a part of some of the bigger playoff choke jobs post lockout.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013

Do you really think that the Ducks are not going to make the playoffs? We are 2 games out of second place with a game in hand and 50 games to play. We have better talent than all the teams above us (debatable with Kings). So as Kesler has stated, Ducks have too good of a team, not to make the playoffs.

All a majority the board posters cared about the last three years is about winning the Cup and how we underperformed in the playoffs, while not giving the Ducks much credit or accolades for being a dominating regular season team. So now we are playing at a mediocre level in the regular season, yet we are still in good position to make playoffs. Wouldn't we rather have our dominating run in the playoffs, rather than the regular season? The Ducks are capable of this run, because they still have the same core players who have dominated the league the last three seasons. They are just not playing like it. After all, based on what Getz has done his entire career, do you think he will not score a goal the rest of the season when a goalie is in in the nets?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I really do believe the Ducks will miss the playoffs this year if a coaching change/MASSIVE trade doesn't happen

I don't believe they'll make the playoffs with Bieksa playing these kinds of minutes for example

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I really do believe the Ducks will miss the playoffs this year if a coaching change/MASSIVE trade doesn't happen

I don't believe they'll make the playoffs with Bieksa playing these kinds of minutes for example
We might just make it, it's Pacific after all.

Then magic happens. Playoff built team! Woot

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
With how crappy the division is, I don't think there is any doubt they can make it. There is even the potential to get to the 2nd round because, again, crappy division means crappy playoff opponent in the 1st round(for the 2nd or 3rd seeded team).

I can't really say their play gives me hopes they'd actually go any further than that, or that they wouldn't be making the playoffs in large part due to the poor quality of the division, instead of actually being there because they deserve it, and are a playoff caliber team. They need to be better.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Aren't we in perfect position, like the Kings were in two years ago? The Kings felt that the only thing important about regular season is making playoffs, even as the eighth seed. If we turn up our game in the playoffs, we can do damage, especially if Getz, Kes, and Silf return to form like previous playoffs. It may be more advantageous in winning SC being underdogs rather than favorites, where we over perform rather than under perform.

image_11327.jpg

You make it sound like all the problems we have will just right themselves because we want them to. Our three best players are declining. Sure they will probably have small streaks and flashes of old. But they can't just turn it up and stay there for the rest of the season. They have already proven that over the last couple of years as well as this one. And no team with Bieksa as the TOI leader is a serious cup contender.

With everything that has already gone wrong with this team it would truly be a miracle to think the vets will find their prime form and young players will all immediately start an upward trajectory on their development. Especially since that's what it would take for this team to win the cup this year. Just squeaking into the playoffs won't make them the Kings of this year.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We might just make it, it's Pacific after all.

Then magic happens. Playoff built team! Woot

I honestly believe Edmonton is going to finish higher than us this year as embarrassing as that was to type. They have some serious talent if Draisaitl can keep this up when McDavid gets back. That'd give them 3 good lines (RNH/Hall, McDavid/Yakupov, Draisaitl/Eberle). I think that is good enough to get them to the playoffs if they get decent goaltending

But yeah if we do sneak in we won't go far

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Do you really think that the Ducks are not going to make the playoffs? We are 2 games out of second place with a game in hand and 50 games to play. We have better talent than all the teams above us (debatable with Kings). So as Kesler has stated, Ducks have too good of a team, not to make the playoffs.

All a majority the board posters cared about the last three years is about winning the Cup and how we underperformed in the playoffs, while not giving the Ducks much credit or accolades for being a dominating regular season team. So now we are playing at a mediocre level in the regular season, yet we are still in good position to make playoffs. Wouldn't we rather have our dominating run in the playoffs, rather than the regular season? The Ducks are capable of this run, because they still have the same core players who have dominated the league the last three seasons. They are just not playing like it. After all, based on what Getz has done his entire career, do you think he will not score a goal the rest of the season when a goalie is in in the nets?

It will be hard not to make the playoffs in our terrible division but that in no ways guarantees us getting anywhere. We have one legitimate goal scoring threat up front (two if Getzlaf returns to form), Kesler is in a sharp decline, Hagelin and Stewart are both downgrades on the players they're replacing and our top minute eating defenseman was replaced with a third pairing player. This team needs at least two big pieces to get back to looking like anything close to a contender.

But hey believe whatever you want to believe. Some of us choose to look at this team from a more objective point of view.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
It will be hard not to make the playoffs in our terrible division but that in no ways guarantees us getting anywhere. We have one legitimate goal scoring threat up front (two if Getzlaf returns to form), Kesler is in a sharp decline, Hagelin and Stewart are both downgrades on the players they're replacing and our top minute eating defenseman was replaced with a third pairing player. This team needs at least two big pieces to get back to looking like anything close to a contender.

But hey believe whatever you want to believe. Some of us choose to look at this team from a more objective point of view.

Effort, tenancity, intangibles, and puck luck have almost as much influence on who wins the Cup as skill and talent. The thing that made BB one of the ver best regular season coaches is that he was able to instill these qualities onto his teams (both Ducks and Caps). This year, the team has not bought into BB's message, thus the inconsistencies with games like Carolina. I think playing with such effort and tenancity throughout the regular season burnt the team out in the playoffs, where they did not have an extra gear to lift their play in playoffs. My hope is that they are pacing themselves, so that they have this extra gear in the playoffs to maybe win the Cup.

As a fan of the Ducks, I have to work at being positive and order to maintain faith and hope. Otherwise, why bother following a team that has no hope? It can only make you miserable, and the whole purpose of sports is to make life enjoyable and hopeful. Thus, my reason for optimistism. As they say, hope is eternal.

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
We're currently slated for the #3 draft pick, but we're also 4 points out from a playoff spot. That sounds like a perfect position to me.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I follow a team because they are my team. I hope they do well, but I don't delude myself with false hope when the facts start piling up against me.

If you are going to be a long term fan of any team in any sport you have to learn to modulate your expectations. When you aren't a contender you focus on other things to enjoy about the games even though you always hope for a win.

The problem with this season is that everyone expected this team to be a cup contender. It's a bitter pill to swallow when it all turns to **** overnight. Tempers flare and anger is everywhere. But, unfortunately, putting on rose colored glasses won't change a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad