No time to Panic

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
It's time to step back from the edge and take a breath. The first month of the season for the Ducks has been a diaster! But, we are not this bad. In fact, the consensus of hockey experts had us at worst as Stanley Cup contenders, an many picked us to be in SC Finals or even Cup winners. So there is no need to panic, and fire BB, BM, and have a fire sale of players, and rebuild. We could not have played any worst this month (Andersen being exception). Our two superstar forwards and 2nd line center have not scored a single goal amongst them in eleven games, and our secondary players havemostly followed their example in scoring ineptness. This trend has to turn around, and the teams' play has improved over the last three games. Despite how bad things have been, we are only 3 games (6 points) out of a playoff spot (3rd place in Pacific Division), and have 71 games to go.

People have complained about not being successful in the playoffs, even though we have arguably, been the most successful regular season team over the last two years, and coasted into the playoffs. Well, we have dug ourselves a dep hole this year, and this might be the best thing for us. We will have to fight for playoff spot for rest of season, and hopefully means peaking when entering playoffs. This may lead us to finally overachieve, rather than underachieve in the playoffs, and lead us to another Cup. So lets not lose hope and support the team, after all, we do have the talent to accomplish this quest as indicated by preseason pronostigators.

Ando

Keyboard Warrior
Oct 18, 2014
Central Coast, CA
A positive spin I might add is this happened right at the start of the season as opposed to near the end of the season, which would be even more disastrous. Still plenty of time for team to turn it around.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
There was a run directly after the all-star break last year that was as bad as anything we have gone though this year, and it lasted almost as long. We'll see.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
IMO there are too many holes on this team (coaching and players) to go all the way.

But the beauty of sports is that you just never know for sure

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
IMO there are too many holes on this team (coaching and players) to go all the way.

But the beauty of sports is that you just never know for sure

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'd still rather we had a chance to see what we have before we start making any type of major move. The team is clearly under performing right now, and I think it's tough to get a read on exactly what needs to get better and where Murray needs to focus his efforts.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The problem is at this point we don't know what is due to low confidence and what is due to a lack of whatever. I do think we can safely put a lack of quality shooters in the latter category.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'd still rather we had a chance to see what we have before we start making any type of major move. The team is clearly under performing right now, and I think it's tough to get a read on exactly what needs to get better and where Murray needs to focus his efforts.

I agree. That's why I'd rather fire the coach first than make a panic trade.

A little off topic here, but what if we traded Cogliano + a prospect for a better scorer?

It would suck to lose Cogs but he's redundant now with Hagelin here I feel like (and Silfverberg being a defensive forward only this year)

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

A little off topic here, but what if we traded Cogliano + a prospect for a better scorer?

It would suck to lose Cogs but he's redundant now with Hagelin here I feel like (and Silfverberg being a defensive forward only this year)

I don't think I would trade Cogs. Hagelin may in theory do what he does, but Cogs brings a mental approach that is needed in this lineup, and frankly, we could use more of.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'll feel better about this team if they decide to acquire a goalscoring winger and our best forwards decide to do things.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
3 years blowing a 3-2 series playoff lead and then this terrible start as long as BB is coaching this team my faith in the Ducks winning the Cup is not good especially when we have only 3 legit top 6 forwards on the team and Bieksa playing too much on the blueline. Panic time has come and want BB gone and even thinking the same for BM don't like choices he has been making with the roster.

Maurice Del Taco

Oct 13, 2015
What I don't like is during the pre season it was all "Cup or bust"... Heard Andersen and other players say it... Why say such things?!? It puts so much pressure on yourself. Why not just stay humble and then work your a** off!

I don't mind the "experts" calling this team favourites for the SC - but when the players start doing it - before the season ever starts - is to me just plain wrong...

Now I feel better too :-D

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California

Why not trade Hagelin?

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
I am pretty sure BM isnt even thinking about trading a guy who he liked and aquired in the summer after 12 (he played 1 preseason game if i remember right) games with the team.

But if AD's hypothetical scenario came true, and the Ducks thought that one of Cogliano or Hagelin had to go, why would they keep Hagelin over Cogs?

Teemu Kariya

Apr 21, 2014
Graz, ST
But if AD's hypothetical scenario came true, and the Ducks thought that one of Cogliano or Hagelin had to go, why would they keep Hagelin over Cogs?

Dont get me wrong, I'd also prefer Cogliano by a mile at this point, and unless Hagelin makes a huge step and shows major scoring instinct (dont think that will happen but fingers crossed) that wont change.

I just think BM would try to make the potential trade happen every other way than trading a player who he just aquired and gave a nice contract, thats the only reason I see why he would prefer Hagelin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad